Author Topic: Ask Packer - No Seriously, Ask Him Anything (AHA)!  (Read 290174 times)

Packer16

• Lifetime Member
  • Go Riders Go! Go Pack Go!
Re: Ask Packer - No Seriously, Ask Him Anything (AHA)!
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2013, 03:21:07 AM »
That is a great primer.  There also are sections of The Five Rules of Successful Stock Investing which talk about the competitive landscape (moats) in Telco. 

Packer

tombgrt

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2013, 03:26:09 AM »
That is a great primer.  There also are sections of The Five Rules of Successful Stock Investing which talk about the competitive landscape (moats) in Telco. 

Packer

Yes. It's only a few pages long but does a decent job giving the basics I guess.

I also have 2 older related primers. See attachments.

Packer16

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2013, 03:36:17 AM »
Some other nice materials.  I remember reading the Morgan Stanley piece back in TMT boom days.

Packer

yadayada

« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2013, 08:55:16 AM »
What is a good start to learn the telecom industry? I am looking into GNCMA, but feel no where near qualified to make a judgement so far. I am reading Malone's book, cable cowboys. Just start with reading 10k's? Found a book on amazon, but it seemed v technical, and had 800 pages :) . So that seems a bit too much for just one stock pick.

I've got an industry primer from 2007.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7ZQujnVzj_9ZDNoWXZsbi16VzA/edit?usp=sharing

I've found it useful to Google "telecom industry primer" or whichever sector you're looking for. Sometimes it's easier to search by filetype in google as pdf.
Some are outdated like one from 1999.

There was one site that had 99 primers (a torrent file though)
thx, v helpfull. Didnt think of that.

phil_Buffett

« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
packer would be interesting to hear from you books you can recommend.  :)

fareastwarriors

« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2013, 03:20:15 PM »
What is a good start to learn the telecom industry? I am looking into GNCMA, but feel no where near qualified to make a judgement so far. I am reading Malone's book, cable cowboys. Just start with reading 10k's? Found a book on amazon, but it seemed v technical, and had 800 pages :) . So that seems a bit too much for just one stock pick.

I've found it useful to Google "telecom industry primer" or whichever sector you're looking for. Sometimes it's easier to search by filetype in google as pdf.

Not sure how useful this is but I have a primer on Banking.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:21:47 PM by fareastwarriors »

Packer16

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2013, 04:35:38 PM »
The latest book I read and am giving to the folks who work for me for Xmas is "The Manual of Ideas".  The other greats are "The Most Important Thing Illuminated", "Intelligent Investor" w/o Jason Zwieg's notes, The Little Book the Builds Wealth, How to Make Money in Junk Bonds, The Little Book of Behavioral Finance and You Can Be a Stock Market Genius.  There are also nice histories like The Great Wave, Devil Take the Hindmost, Benjamin Graham on Investing and The Crash and Its Aftermath.

Packer

one-foot-hurdles

« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2013, 09:10:31 PM »

Not sure how useful this is but I have a primer  for Banking.

tx fareastwarriors

MrB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2013, 12:37:43 AM »

Not sure how useful this is but I have a primer  for Banking.

tx fareastwarriors

http://equity-research.com/reports/

phil_Buffett

« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2013, 01:02:46 AM »
The latest book I read and am giving to the folks who work for me for Xmas is "The Manual of Ideas".  The other greats are "The Most Important Thing Illuminated", "Intelligent Investor" w/o Jason Zwieg's notes, The Little Book the Builds Wealth, How to Make Money in Junk Bonds, The Little Book of Behavioral Finance and You Can Be a Stock Market Genius.  There are also nice histories like The Great Wave, Devil Take the Hindmost, Benjamin Graham on Investing and The Crash and Its Aftermath.

Packer

thanks packer  :) :)