Author Topic: Ask Packer - No Seriously, Ask Him Anything (AHA)!  (Read 293839 times)

Packer16

• Lifetime Member
  • Go Riders Go! Go Pack Go!
Re: Ask Packer - No Seriously, Ask Him Anything (AHA)!
« Reply #300 on: October 02, 2014, 07:10:29 PM »
In terms of comp ratios, I haven't run across a definitive guide but 5 Rules for Successful Stock Investing by Pat Dorsey and industry analyst reports can provide some guidance.  I think as you study an industry you can pick pretty quickly what metric is used as it used quite often by analysts and others in the industry.

As to size and outperformance, I think once get over a few billion for US equities it gets pretty hard.  There are some exceptions in some industries today like some autos and financials but for the most part I think the large and mid-cap space is pretty efficient in the US.   Look at firms like Longleaf and Sequoia (with great processes) and compare them to value indicies and you will see the outperformance if it exists is small.  I think a "lazy portfolio" of small value tilted securities will probably capture most of the premium offered by value types of stocks. 

Packer 

tede02

« Reply #301 on: October 02, 2014, 07:31:12 PM »
Packer, my question is......... are you happy to see your team pummel the Vikings this evening? ;D  I'm in the MNPLS area and have the game on.  Your welcome for playing against Christian Ponder. ;)  Couldn't help myself seeing this thread.   

Best,

Ted
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:34:52 PM by tede02 »

Packer16

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #302 on: October 03, 2014, 03:44:26 AM »
I am glad the Packers won and will take any win in this competitive season but it will be interesting to see how they can play against the Vikings starter QB.  That in my mind will be the real test. 

Packer

KCLarkin

« Reply #303 on: October 03, 2014, 08:34:04 AM »
Look at firms like Longleaf and Sequoia (with great processes) and compare them to value indicies and you will see the outperformance if it exists is small.

This probably has more to do with institutional constraints than market efficiency.

fareastwarriors

« Reply #304 on: October 03, 2014, 08:48:51 AM »
Look at firms like Longleaf and Sequoia (with great processes) and compare them to value indicies and you will see the outperformance if it exists is small.

This probably has more to do with institutional constraints than market efficiency.

Sequoia has a 1% drag due to management fee too. That additional 1% is very difficult to overcome...

KCLarkin

« Reply #305 on: October 03, 2014, 09:03:54 AM »
Sequoia has a 1% drag due to management fee too. That additional 1% is very difficult to overcome...

Plus 15-20% cash for the last 6 years.

frommi

« Reply #306 on: October 15, 2014, 10:10:44 AM »

west

« Reply #307 on: October 25, 2014, 10:04:09 AM »
Packer, earlier in this thread you said:

I don't read industry magazines but do track news associated with these firms and read in-depth industry and company specific research reports to put the valuations in a frame of reference.

I recently got access to more professional research data like CapitalIQ, Bloomberg, etc.  Is this where you get your industry research reports from?  Are those reports just the "Primers" that I've seen floating around the web?

Thanks in advance for your help!  I swear I'll stop asking all these questions one day ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:06:12 AM by west »

Packer16

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #308 on: October 26, 2014, 02:18:22 PM »
Bloomberg itself tracks alot of industry data and there are many analyst reports available also which can provide background.  Bloomberg also has a function RV which provides comparison to comparable firms.

Packer

Laxputs

« Reply #309 on: November 04, 2014, 10:19:53 PM »
May I ask what your current portfolio holdings are? Or your top 10 positions which are not so illiquid you are still trying to build positions in?

TIA.