Author Topic: Buffett buybacks: Could Berkshire tender stock?  (Read 196708 times)

Dynamic

Re: Buffett buybacks: Could Berkshire tender stock?
« Reply #490 on: March 06, 2020, 05:29:40 AM »
I think he likened Berkshire to a church with a million seats during the CNBC interview, referring roughly to the number of A share equivalents he doesn't own - very roughly. Simply shuffling the occupants of those seats adds nothing and probably subtracts from the quality of business partner he has.

With the number of shareholders in street name now that certificates are virtually obsolete, it's probably an unknown number now, and the official company records are probably full of brokerage firms.

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #491 on: March 06, 2020, 05:48:10 AM »
Warren is probably aware of how many Annual Reports the company prints each year.  There would be much higher numbers of "look through" shareholders through funds but I would imagine Berkshire and the transfer agent have a good handle on the number of direct individual holders, including the large number held in street name.  The BNSF deal and associated 50-1 share split probably added a huge number of individual holders.

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #492 on: March 06, 2020, 07:24:06 AM »
Is the number of shareholders unknowable? If so, what a far cry from the Buffett partnership days! Nameless and faceless shareholders. I’d love to hear Buffett and Munger’s view on this!

alwaysinvert

• Lifetime Member
    • värdeinvesteraren
« Reply #493 on: March 09, 2020, 06:57:29 AM »
The hotline number for selling back shares takes a proper tender offer off the table for at least the next couple of years imo. But maybe you can frame this as a form of "sneaky" tender offer which could potentially give extra large volumes from institutional owners if we ever see significant outflows from the market again.

well...

TREVNI

• The Oracle's Classroom
« Reply #494 on: March 09, 2020, 07:56:33 AM »
Do you think Warren would issue a press release if Berkshire bought back a large amount of stock intra-quarter? Say 2.5%? As a way to signal to shareholders that they're selling at the wrong time. Or does he wait until the 10Q in May?

I REALLY REALLY hope they're not holding back at these levels.

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #495 on: March 09, 2020, 08:20:14 AM »
Do you think Warren would issue a press release if Berkshire bought back a large amount of stock intra-quarter? Say 2.5%? As a way to signal to shareholders that they're selling at the wrong time. Or does he wait until the 10Q in May?

What, when and for how much they buy are really the only core trade secrets of Berkshire. I highly doubt if they go public with this. Beyond reporting mandated by regulations. Doesn’t make any sense for them. If the idiots want to sell Buffett is not going to try to stop them.

TREVNI

• The Oracle's Classroom
« Reply #496 on: March 09, 2020, 08:28:35 AM »

What, when and for how much they buy are really the only core trade secrets of Berkshire. I highly doubt if they go public with this. Beyond reporting mandated by regulations. Doesn’t make any sense for them. If the idiots want to sell Buffett is not going to try to stop them.

I agree with you in general. Buffett has a strong aversion to taking advantage of his shareholders. I just wonder if he'd try to send a message not to be too irrational and sell at these levels.

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #497 on: March 09, 2020, 09:31:50 AM »

I agree with you in general. Buffett has a strong aversion to taking advantage of his shareholders. I just wonder if he'd try to send a message not to be too irrational and sell at these levels.

They want Berkshire shareholders to remain rich, no? It surely came from idiot behavior why is today any different?

woodstove

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #498 on: March 09, 2020, 02:31:40 PM »
My guess is that most of the selling of BRK is index fund and similar auto-managed portfolios, and WEB has been educating shareholders to hold on as business is more or less the same now as two weeks ago.   The unknown for us is whether BRK or others (eg, just in the DJIA) are more advantageous.  Who woulda thought there would be another opportunity! 

bennycx

« Reply #499 on: March 10, 2020, 08:48:51 AM »
Very unlikely Buffett is buying back stock. Too many bargains around