Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 729863 times)

fareastwarriors

Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #1890 on: October 11, 2020, 03:06:29 PM »
Warren Buffett bought Microsoft stock after meeting Bill Gates and made a $37 billion acquisition thanks to a chance encounter. Here are his 10 best quotes from an interview in a new book.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/warren-buffett-bob-woodward-microsoft-bill-gates-37-billion-deal-2020-10-1029667401

ValueMaven

« Reply #1891 on: October 13, 2020, 05:23:56 AM »
Berk still getting little love.  Rails booming, APPL all-time high again (or near it)...insurance extremely profitable - although GEICO is giving money back to customers.  Buying back stock, some pipeline deals etc.  Very interested to see next Q's earnings. 

alpha

« Reply #1892 on: October 20, 2020, 09:29:34 AM »

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1893 on: October 24, 2020, 08:40:03 AM »
Berkshire pulled out of underwriting this Covid-19 college athletics insurance product at the very last minute, citing 'reputational risks' and compliance concerns - according to the broker marketing the policies to college athletic departments.  Berkley ended up writing it.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30170060/insurance-broker-offers-covid-19-health-coverage-college-football

the BRK subsidiary -
https://wellfleetinsurance.com
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 08:43:24 AM by gfp »

CassiusKing1

« Reply #1894 on: October 28, 2020, 06:17:16 AM »

Iscar Turkey settlement:

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/20201020_berkshire.pdf
Is Iscar kicked to the curb by WEB in the next quarter?

longterminvestor

« Reply #1895 on: October 29, 2020, 02:21:46 AM »
what amazes me is BERK got a pass from CNBC/news outlets.  Clinton sends a few emails and its a feeding frenzy, BERK negotiates with Iranian business and you dont hear a sound. 

I feel like I am back in High School when the teachers pet gets away with sending spit balls to the chalk board and when teacher questions class, everyone looked at me (haha). 

Seriously though, I don't know implications of this settlement and from limited research OFAC is willing to allow trade with Iran - you just need permission.  Small blemish on the record of a great company however not the end of the world.  The operating sub was out of Turkey so doubt the sales guy doing the deal cared about trade sanctions, probably just wanted his commission.  Act was self reported so that is a saving grace. 

omagh

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1896 on: October 31, 2020, 07:12:51 AM »
what amazes me is BERK got a pass from CNBC/news outlets.  Clinton sends a few emails and its a feeding frenzy, BERK negotiates with Iranian business and you dont hear a sound. 

I feel like I am back in High School when the teachers pet gets away with sending spit balls to the chalk board and when teacher questions class, everyone looked at me (haha). 

Seriously though, I don't know implications of this settlement and from limited research OFAC is willing to allow trade with Iran - you just need permission.  Small blemish on the record of a great company however not the end of the world.  The operating sub was out of Turkey so doubt the sales guy doing the deal cared about trade sanctions, probably just wanted his commission.  Act was self reported so that is a saving grace.
Importantly, Berkshire's reputation is still intact.  With 400,000 employees, the odds of 1 of them doing something shady get pretty high to the point of certainty in any given year.  Find it, stamp it out immediately and move on.  Wells Fargo learned the hard way about letting shady practices fester.

alpha

« Reply #1897 on: November 23, 2020, 11:51:34 AM »

Anyone happen to have a transcript of the speech Buffett made at a recent Goldman Sachs event for small business?

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1898 on: November 23, 2020, 12:04:03 PM »

Anyone happen to have a transcript of the speech Buffett made at a recent Goldman Sachs event for small business?

I don't think there is a video or transcript online yet.  Closest I've seen are these articles with quotes that you have likely already seen if you are asking about a transcript.
https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/warren-buffett-discussed-fed-small-business-ukeleles-goldman-sachs-event-2020-11-1029828697