Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 649814 times)

Dynamic

Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #740 on: April 12, 2018, 04:04:12 PM »
Another 13D/A filing from Berkshire about Knauf's bid for USG. (Thanks Rocket Financial for the email alert)

Again, no change in Berkshire's holding, but it's the Notes that are amended as follows (emphasis mine):

CUSIP NO. 903293 40 5       SCHEDULE 13D/A       PAGE 10 OF 11 PAGES

This Amendment No. 10 to Schedule 13D amends and supplements the information set forth in the Schedule 13D filed by certain of the Reporting Persons with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “Commission”) on January 31, 2006 (the “13D”), as amended thereafter, with respect to the shares of Common Stock, par value $0.10 per share (“Common Stock”) of USG Corporation (“USG”). Capitalized terms used herein without definition shall have the meaning assigned to such terms in the 13D.

Item 4 is hereby amended to add the following:

On April 10, 2018, Gebr. Knauf filed a preliminary proxy statement and proxy card with the Commission to be used to solicit votes against USG’s four nominees for election to the Board of Directors (the “Board”) at the 2018 annual meeting of stockholders scheduled for May 9, 2018 (the “2018 Annual Meeting”). In addition, on April 10, 2018, Gebr. Knauf issued a press release containing an open letter to the stockholders of USG.

On April 12, 2018, in response to an inquiry from a Bloomberg reporter, a spokesperson for Berkshire stated “Berkshire’s present intention is to vote against the four directors proposed by management.”

Item 5 is hereby amended as follows:

The percentages of outstanding shares reported in this Amendment No. 10 are based on the number of shares of Common Stock disclosed as outstanding on USG’s Schedule 14A filed with the Commission on March 29, 2018.

Interesting!

bizaro86

« Reply #741 on: April 12, 2018, 06:28:03 PM »
Is that the first time BRK has publicly said they are voting against management? I can't think of another...

I guess WEB replaced people at Solomon, but that wasn't quite the same thing.

villainx

« Reply #742 on: April 12, 2018, 07:59:25 PM »
My take is that Knauf didn't pay up for option for Berkshire's vote, and leaves open possibility of other suitors.

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #743 on: April 13, 2018, 05:11:44 AM »

John Hjorth

« Reply #744 on: April 13, 2018, 05:19:20 AM »
Thanks Cardboard, I coulden't immediately find or remember the situation. Here is the original Berkshire news announcement from the Berkshire website.
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #745 on: April 13, 2018, 05:53:50 AM »
Yeah - he was already pissed at that point because they did a horrible deal for DiGiorno frozen pizza with Nestle.  It was hasty, fully taxed, etc..  That's when he made the TV rounds telling everyone he felt "poorer."

bizaro86

« Reply #746 on: April 13, 2018, 05:53:41 PM »
Thanks Cardboard! It has definitely been rare, so must imply a relatively strong disagreement, imo.

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
AFL // BRK.B // CLB an incredibly stupid move // EW // GPC // MO an incredibly stupid ex-CEO // MTB // NVO // PSX // TRMD // ULTA // VDE // VLGEA // WFC

Investable cash 16% + 18 months of survival $

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #748 on: April 28, 2018, 07:16:55 AM »
Berkshire now sells the Berkshires.

http://www.wlns.com/ap-top-news/barnbrook-realty-joins-berkshire-hathaway-homeservices/1142503557

http://www.barnbrookrealty.com

I can't find anything on how many agents, etc. these guys add.

I'm guessing that Kirby, White and crew are like the Blumkins of RE.
AFL // BRK.B // CLB an incredibly stupid move // EW // GPC // MO an incredibly stupid ex-CEO // MTB // NVO // PSX // TRMD // ULTA // VDE // VLGEA // WFC

Investable cash 16% + 18 months of survival $

Spekulatius

« Reply #749 on: April 28, 2018, 10:35:15 AM »
I could see them making a run at RLGY if their management looks for a buyer. Shares look somewhat cheap and they own some of the best known franchises, although I am not sure how much the franchise name actually counts.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.