Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 521768 times)

cubsfan

Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2015, 08:10:37 PM »
You have to wonder how driverless software makes decisions and who has the liability. I think Warren alluded to this last year.
Imagine a scenario where a driverless car going at a high speed encounters a child crossing in front. What happens with 3 choices faced.

1 -  straight ahead and kill the child
2 -  swerve left into on coming traffic - how many potential deaths there
3-  swerve right into concrete wall and kill occupants of your car

All outcomes are bad - how do those decisions get made and who accepts liability?

Stuff like this will take place hundreds of times a year. Hard for me to understand how you easily roll out
driverless vehicles with these type of issues.

Should be interesting.

JBird

« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2015, 09:38:59 PM »
How about the car just slams the brakes as hard as possible and doesn't swerve. If a person steps into the road with no time for a car to stop that is a tragedy. Why should it be the driver's responsibility to risk his own well-being or others by swerving?
Woman and wine, games and deceit, make the wealth small and the wants great. - Ben Franklin

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2015, 10:03:58 PM »
You have to wonder how driverless software makes decisions and who has the liability. I think Warren alluded to this last year.
Imagine a scenario where a driverless car going at a high speed encounters a child crossing in front. What happens with 3 choices faced.

All outcomes are bad - how do those decisions get made and who accepts liability?

Stuff like this will take place hundreds of times a year. Hard for me to understand how you easily roll out

Should be interesting.

This is a strawman argument. First of all, you have no data how often such situations happen. Second, the same situations happen with human drivers on board and obviously they cannot make any choice - they are not fast enough or clear headed enough or aware enough. So it is obvious that automated car will make a better choice whatever it chooses. Like JBird said, it could just slam on breaks and hope for the best. Note that it will detect the person faster than human and it will slam on the breaks faster than human. So even if the person on road dies, they would have died with human at wheel too.

You could as well make the same argument to prohibit humans to drive cars. Cause obviously they cannot t make decisions in situations like this and liability may bankrupt them. Yet, we allow people to drive.

If you are concerned about liability, let car manufacturers and insurers work it out. It's not your problem.

I am sick and tired of hearing this old and - sorry to say - broken argument.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:16:36 PM by Jurgis »
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

Charlie

« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2015, 05:57:58 AM »

longinvestor

• Lifetime Member
  • Never interrupt compounding unnecessarily -Munger
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2015, 08:04:02 AM »

Should be interesting.
+1
Driving in Chicagoland or Atlanta, I worry more about the idiot behind me. Boy, they are angry as well. I can picture my self driving car with bumpers all around. But no worries, will be sleeping through all of the road rage,
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 08:29:45 AM by longinvestor »

Charlie

« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2015, 08:57:09 AM »
Good interview with Carol Loomis:

http://www.thestreet.com/video/13135083/warren-buffetts-friend-carol-loomis-says-buffett-is-driven-by-having-fun-and-not-making-money.html?puc=yahoov&cm_ven=YAHOOV

Loomis doesn't expect Buffett to retire anytime soon, and says he keeps a rigorous schedule.

fareastwarriors

« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2015, 09:11:29 AM »
After Warren Buffett: Berkshire Prepares for Life Without Legendary Leader

Berkshire Hathaway’s octogenarian CEO does ‘everything humanly possible’ to make sure culture grows without him

http://www.wsj.com/articles/after-warren-buffett-berkshire-prepares-for-a-life-without-legendary-leader-1430414729

fareastwarriors

« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2015, 09:31:02 AM »

rmitz

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2015, 12:31:24 PM »
Jurgis - with you it's definitely personal. There is a lot to dislike about your lack of civility.

In this case, I think you’re actually adding his old arguments to this one and it makes you take his tone worse off than it is.

I will add; Jurgis is totally right.

What you are failing to account for is that the machines are not limited to the kinds of data that as humans we have to deal with.  They can see all around the car, react effectively instantaneously, etc.  They will also be able to predict these situations (lack of visibility of potential incoming objects) and reduce their speed preemptively to compensate.  There’s no contest.

All that said, it’s still going to be a pain to get the regs through, but it will happen.

gfp

• Lifetime Member