Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 769529 times)

gfp

• Lifetime Member
Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #730 on: March 26, 2018, 06:12:52 AM »
I'm sure Buffett would much rather receive calls for him to buy large German family owned companies, rather than sell to one.  But maybe it helps again to raise his profile a bit in that group.

Dynamic

« Reply #731 on: March 26, 2018, 09:09:37 AM »
The Bloomberg article I quoted earlier now includes news of USG's rejection of the takeover under the new title:
"Berkshire-Backed USG Rejects $5.9 Billion Takeover by Knauf"

It also shows a surge in the USG stock price, partly from the easing of trade war fears since Friday, no doubt, and partly from the takeover talk I imagine.

gfp

• Lifetime Member

longinvestor

« Reply #733 on: March 27, 2018, 06:49:48 AM »
Todd Combs article in Bloomberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-27/what-do-bezos-buffett-and-dimon-have-in-common-meet-todd-combs

Interesting, I’ve wondered if Combs does become CEO. Age is an edge for him, plus with Precision Castparts, he’s made the biggest ever deal at Berkshire. I suppose he has the blueprint of the future  tattooed on him.

The article suggests mucho apprehension about who in healthcare is in Combs’s crosshairs. “What’s he going to do” “what’s he going to do”

nickenumbers

« Reply #735 on: April 05, 2018, 07:50:12 AM »
https://www.valuewalk.com/2018/04/whitney-tilson-why-the-hell-didnt-i-listen-to-charlie-munger/

Charlie Munger is on our group.  Welcome!  This is amazing and impressive.  I guess he finally got himself a Thinkpad, or maybe he purchased and Iphone.

:P :P
Just cause you watch Cobra Kai shows, doesn't mean you can do Kung fu.

zippy1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #736 on: April 06, 2018, 05:38:41 AM »
https://www.valuewalk.com/2018/04/whitney-tilson-why-the-hell-didnt-i-listen-to-charlie-munger/

Charlie Munger is on our group.  Welcome!  This is amazing and impressive.  I guess he finally got himself a Thinkpad, or maybe he purchased and Iphone.

:P :P
And the divestment of daily journal!

Dynamic

« Reply #737 on: April 12, 2018, 04:04:12 PM »
Another 13D/A filing from Berkshire about Knauf's bid for USG. (Thanks Rocket Financial for the email alert)

Again, no change in Berkshire's holding, but it's the Notes that are amended as follows (emphasis mine):

CUSIP NO. 903293 40 5       SCHEDULE 13D/A       PAGE 10 OF 11 PAGES

This Amendment No. 10 to Schedule 13D amends and supplements the information set forth in the Schedule 13D filed by certain of the Reporting Persons with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “Commission”) on January 31, 2006 (the “13D”), as amended thereafter, with respect to the shares of Common Stock, par value $0.10 per share (“Common Stock”) of USG Corporation (“USG”). Capitalized terms used herein without definition shall have the meaning assigned to such terms in the 13D.

Item 4 is hereby amended to add the following:

On April 10, 2018, Gebr. Knauf filed a preliminary proxy statement and proxy card with the Commission to be used to solicit votes against USG’s four nominees for election to the Board of Directors (the “Board”) at the 2018 annual meeting of stockholders scheduled for May 9, 2018 (the “2018 Annual Meeting”). In addition, on April 10, 2018, Gebr. Knauf issued a press release containing an open letter to the stockholders of USG.

On April 12, 2018, in response to an inquiry from a Bloomberg reporter, a spokesperson for Berkshire stated “Berkshire’s present intention is to vote against the four directors proposed by management.”

Item 5 is hereby amended as follows:

The percentages of outstanding shares reported in this Amendment No. 10 are based on the number of shares of Common Stock disclosed as outstanding on USG’s Schedule 14A filed with the Commission on March 29, 2018.

Interesting!

bizaro86

« Reply #738 on: April 12, 2018, 06:28:03 PM »
Is that the first time BRK has publicly said they are voting against management? I can't think of another...

I guess WEB replaced people at Solomon, but that wasn't quite the same thing.

villainx

« Reply #739 on: April 12, 2018, 07:59:25 PM »
My take is that Knauf didn't pay up for option for Berkshire's vote, and leaves open possibility of other suitors.