Author Topic: Buffett/Berkshire - general news  (Read 770649 times)

netnet

• Lifetime Member
Re: Buffett/Berkshire - general news
« Reply #770 on: May 15, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »
Hmmm....  To read this article you would think Berkshire didn't pay much to the tax man?!

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2018/05/14/kindly-87-year-old-man-who-took-all-schoolkids-lunch-money
I'm not a low tax libertarian type, and even I think that article was a bunch of whooey and if you go back and look at the references, it's even worse. 

Basically, the articles it is based on say that by buying companies, those (now) subsidiaries' dividend is not taxable ??? it also confuses the deferred taxes on long held investments as taxes 'owed'.

Charlie

« Reply #771 on: May 16, 2018, 07:57:09 AM »
Whitney Tilsons latest Berkshire analysis:

https://www.tilsonfunds.com/TilsonBRK.pdf

Cheers!  :)

netnet

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #772 on: May 16, 2018, 10:27:07 AM »
Whitney Tilsons latest Berkshire analysis:

https://www.tilsonfunds.com/TilsonBRK.pdf

Cheers!  :)

Anyone wish to opine on Tilson's analysis?

John Hjorth

« Reply #773 on: May 16, 2018, 10:34:13 AM »

For my part: Yes, it's a miss.
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

longinvestor

« Reply #774 on: May 16, 2018, 12:14:57 PM »

+1

Seen in the backdrop of Semper Augustus’s seminal work, this is weak.

John Hjorth

« Reply #775 on: May 16, 2018, 12:21:58 PM »

+1

Seen in the backdrop of Semper Augustus’s seminal work, this is weak.

To me, it's so true, what longinvestor is posting here. If you're interested in Berkshire, the Semper Augustus letters should catch your attention. [I have posted about them recently. - The B trading at around ~200, while intrisic value is estimated in the Semper Augustus Letters to be around ~250 for the B.]
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

racemize

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #776 on: May 16, 2018, 12:32:50 PM »
While I think Semper has done some great work on Berkshire, I'd say Tilson has provided a good service of updating this valuation over the years.  It makes sense, doesn't require 50 pages of explanation, and is within the range of a reasonable IV.  As Buffett says, you don't need a scale to tell if a man is overweight.

Charlie

« Reply #777 on: May 16, 2018, 12:40:09 PM »
"While I think Semper has done some great work on Berkshire, I'd say Tilson has provided a good service of updating this valuation over the years.  It makes sense, doesn't require 50 pages of explanation, and is within the range of a reasonable IV.  As Buffett says, you don't need a scale to tell if a man is overweight."

+1

Everybody has their misses: Tilsons hedge fund performance, his $3000 investing seminars and Semper Augustus discussion about
Index Funds.  ;)

cubsfan

« Reply #778 on: May 16, 2018, 01:35:58 PM »
For those of us in BRK early, Tilson's updates were excellent. So, yea, Semper writeup is incredible in comparison, but if Tilson helped a lot of people from not selling BRK - he did them a huge favor.
It certainly worked in my case, and with many of my investees.

longinvestor

« Reply #779 on: May 16, 2018, 01:38:51 PM »
"While I think Semper has done some great work on Berkshire, I'd say Tilson has provided a good service of updating this valuation over the years.  It makes sense, doesn't require 50 pages of explanation, and is within the range of a reasonable IV.  As Buffett says, you don't need a scale to tell if a man is overweight."

+1

Everybody has their misses: Tilsons hedge fund performance, his $3000 investing seminars and Semper Augustus discussion about
Index Funds.  ;)
Well said. Semper sounded like the barber talking down the index. Those 50 pages I skipped right past to the 50 on Berkshire. To me, 50 pages of lucid details on Berkshire is alright if seen in the backdrop of MV being marked down relative to IV for year after year. He’s shouting, I can understand, so can others around here.

All that said, my rationale for preferring Semper versus Tilson is that T sounds awfully like a thesis based on price. Not entirely but substantially so.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:40:37 PM by longinvestor »