Author Topic: Charlie Munger and the Daily Journal Corporation (DJCO)  (Read 35372 times)

VersaillesinNY

Re: Charlie Munger and the Daily Journal Corporation (DJCO)
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2015, 08:19:34 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/sites/phildemuth/2015/03/26/quote-of-the-year/

“This has basically never happened before in my whole life. I can remember 1½ percent rates. It certainly surprised all the economists. It surprised the people who created the life insurance industry in Japan, who basically all went broke because they guaranteed to pay a 3% interest rate. I think everybody’s been surprised by it, including all the people who are in the economics profession who kind of pretend they knew it all along. But I think practically everybody was flabbergasted. I was flabbergasted when they went low; when they went negative in Europe – I’m really flabbergasted. How many in this room would have predicted negative interest rates in Europe? Raise your hands. [No hands go up]. That’s exactly the way I feel. How can I be an expert in something I never even thought about that seems so unlikely. It’s new territory….

“I think something so strange and so important is likely to have consequences. I think it’s highly likely that the people who confidently think they know the consequences – none of whom predicted this – now they know what’s going to happen next? Again, the witch doctors. You ask me what’s going to happen? Hell, I don’t know what’s going to happen. I regard it all as very weird. If interest rates go to zero and all the governments in the world print money like crazy and prices go down – of course I’m confused. Anybody who is intelligent who is not confused doesn’t understand the situation very well. If you find it puzzling, your brain is working correctly.” Charles Munger

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2015, 09:27:08 PM »
Any notes from the meeting would be appreciated.

TIA

There is some guy selling notes for $33 or something like that. I won't advertise for him though.

No free notes so far AFAIK.
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

JBird

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 09:38:12 PM »
Here's a 2 hour audio clip of the Q & A. It includes everything except the very first question (which Charlie said happened to be the most intelligent question ever asked at the meeting, haha)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:05:46 PM by JBird »
Woman and wine, games and deceit, make the wealth small and the wants great. - Ben Franklin

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 09:57:08 PM »
Thanks JBird!
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

loganc

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2015, 10:27:22 PM »
Here's a 2 hour audio clip of the Q & A. It includes everything except the very first question (which Charlie said happened to be the most intelligent question ever asked at the meeting, haha)

Very awesome.  Thank you so much.

dolce far niente

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2015, 02:08:00 AM »

+100.
Very clear. Much appreciated.

VersaillesinNY

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2015, 06:33:35 AM »
Thanks JBird!

farnamstreet

• Lifetime Member
    • Farnam Street
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2015, 07:03:24 AM »
Any notes from the meeting would be appreciated.

TIA

There is some guy selling notes for $33 or something like that. I won't advertise for him though.

No free notes so far AFAIK.

That would be me.  I have 2013/2014/2015 notes. You can find them here http://myinvestingnotebook.blogspot.ca/2015/03/daily-journal-2015-meeting-notes.html but keep in mind there is an audio copy floating around and a lot of free notes out there.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 07:16:15 AM by farnamstreet »

giofranchi

• Twitter: @giovfranchi
    • Master School Politecnico di Milano
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2015, 07:15:40 AM »
That would be me. You can find them here http://myinvestingnotebook.blogspot.ca/2015/03/daily-journal-2015-meeting-notes.html but keep in mind there is an audio copy floating around and a lot of free notes out there.

Just bought it! ;)

Gio
Portfolio: AAPL, AMZN, BABA, BOSS, BRK.B, FB, FFH, FIH.U, FINX, FWONA, GOOG, IBB, JPM, LBRDA, MKL, NKE, QQQ, SFTBF, SMH, TCEHY, V, XBI, XT