Author Topic: Next Berkshire acquisition speculation  (Read 21571 times)

gfp

• Lifetime Member
Re: Next Berkshire acquisition speculation
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2020, 06:58:36 AM »
returning to the topic of sub-trillion-dollar acquisition speculation - Berkshire and/or Berkshire with 3G would be realistic buyers of Thyssenkrupp's Elevator business [ 8 Billion Euros in revenue, 50,000 employees, speculated $20B USD market cap ].  But, of course, the usual consortiums of private equity folks will likely be willing to bid higher. 

https://www.ft.com/content/490b7c12-1846-11ea-9ee4-11f260415385

John Hjorth

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2020, 11:56:09 AM »
How many years is it, since Mr. Buffet & Mr. Munger had an exchange at the AGM about the size of the next large acquisition? [Two years, three years, or perhaps even more?] What were those gents then talking about? [If I remember correctly the talk was in the triple digits of USD B by Mr. Munger, combined with a good deal of speculative ramblings, based on "Who knows what we'll do!" - [& mind you!]] - If I remember correctly, Mr. Munger implied something in the three digit range of USD B.

Where are we now? -Please put away those something USD ~20 B for potentiential insurance claims in a stressed situation, which leaves you around USD ~100B in acquisition capacity.

- - - o 0 o o - - -

What is there not to like, if you're patient? [patience certainly required!]

- - - o 0 o - - -

Somehow, I think of it as a geriatric at the age ~90, surveilling and scouting an African Savannah, dressed [naturally] in Khaki Safari dress [with a Khaki hat to provide shadow for the face], scouting the area ..., - moving the sunglasses up on the hat, lips tight, stone face & snake eyed - just pretty un-emotional, & just waiting ... .

-You better stay out the line behind him, because his gear is not really [any longer] an elephant gun, more like a Bazooka! No need to get smoked and burned while standing behind him!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 06:36:47 AM by John Hjorth »
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

cubsfan

« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2020, 12:33:01 PM »
And I believe  - it was mentioned during that discussion - that for the right situation, use of debt might be used.. so for that reason, I thought the
acquisition figure could be in the area of $150B.

CassiusKing1

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2020, 06:29:45 AM »
Would love to see Buffett and Munger buy Costco.

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2020, 06:50:47 AM »
Cassius - when Carrefour was selling its 10% (?) stake in Costco back in the 1990s, Berkshire had the opportunity and passed due to Buffett's aversion to retail, despite Charlie's support for it.

File that in the errors of omission stack.

CassiusKing1

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2020, 09:45:52 AM »
Agreed.  The revenue from membership dues, margins on the Kirkland Brand and the very sticky, loyalty of members makes this attractive to me.

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2020, 07:20:26 AM »
This is probably bad advice, but could help Berkshire if any of these families actually takes it
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-14/rich-families-urged-to-sell-their-businesses-before-party-ends?srnd=premium

Castanza

« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2020, 10:15:28 AM »
Wegmans (grocery store chain)

rb

« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2020, 10:47:41 AM »
Cassius - when Carrefour was selling its 10% (?) stake in Costco back in the 1990s, Berkshire had the opportunity and passed due to Buffett's aversion to retail, despite Charlie's support for it.

File that in the errors of omission stack.
LOL 10% of Costo's market cap is just shy of Carrefour's market cap.

File that under boneheaded moves.