100 baggers - Christopher Mayer

jtvalue

BTW, for those worried about cost of admission to try out this guy's newsletter service, most reputable newsletter publishers offer a money back guarantee. Agora is doing a 30 day guarantee, here. I've seen up to multi-year guarantees for some of my employer's services.

You're probably safe trying it out and just refunding if you don't like it.

BTW, for those worried about cost of admission to try out this guy's newsletter service, most reputable newsletter publishers offer a money back guarantee. Agora is doing a 30 day guarantee, here. I've seen up to multi-year guarantees for some of my employer's services.

You're probably safe trying it out and just refunding if you don't like it.

Hi scott,

Have you read chris's book as yet? I quite like his ideas....im starting to fish around looking for quality businesses to keep/hold for forever and a day with great capital allocators at the helm.

Chris made some suggestions (like softbank), have you got any thoughts on quality companies to look for at the moment?  Thanks

Nick

I will read the book. In terms of Agora, I was a longtime reader of Daily Reckoning, I also subscribed to a few of their newsletters over the years and was led into them by certain books ("Invest Like a Dealmaker", good book) all of Wiggins' and Bonner's books are IMHO highly entertaining and I agree with a lot of the core principles (i.e. you can't centrally plan an economy)

But know that the entire book -> newsletter chain is part of a marketing funnel using the tried-and-true "front-end-back-end" model. Every step sets up for an upsell to the next step (larger packages, larger ticket items) and once they get into actual "stock picks" they are about as good as any other service. Once you're at that point you're either into "black box" territory, where you will simply buy what the newsletter recos, or you are using them to garner ideas you will research independently, in which case, why do you need to subscribe to an ultra-premium options advisor at $2500/year for yet more ideas?

So in short, love the Agora crew, agree with a lot of their viewpoints, but grew tired of the incessant marketing upsells (and yes, they will rent your contact details out to other pitchmen)

- mark

• 3 weeks later...

I bought life-time subscription to Agora a while ago at a hefty discount at the suggestion of a friend. Most of their newsletters are worthless but I will make an exception for Chris Mayer's 100 baggers. He thinks like a value investor and shares good insights. I do my own research - but his newsletter is a good source of investment ideas and articles on investing.

At $49 a year, it is worth the price, imo. I will stay away from everything else.

I haven't read his book.

• 7 years later...

I ordered this book about a week ago at www.amazon.de [to avoid customs from out side EU], because of the prohibitive price of the book at my favorite Danish web bookstore : www.saxo.com [cheaper to buy it at the German Amazon website, delivered to Denmark than using Saxo].

Just for starters, I started reading the introduction today by Chris Mayer. It appears from that, that Mr. Mayer has had some kind black swan [positive!] experience / [h]eureca-moment reading the transcript of a speech held by Chuck Akre back in 2011. [For me, that's about one year before I got hell bent serious with investing and stock picking, to make a material difference to the future living conditions of the Lady of the House and I].

I actually managed to find that piece today, and reading it, so to say, diverted me today from the book as such.

I hereby share it here:

Chuck Akre [November 1st 2011] : An Investor's Odyssey : The Search For Outstanding Investments.

Edited by John Hjorth

@John Hjorth The Chuck Akre talk is great. FWIW, there are several lengthy podcasts and YouTube clips from Chris Mayers explaining his investing process. I have read the book, but you can get a pretty good idea how he thinks and what he is looking for watching one or two of these, if you prefer the visual/audio version or learning.

I did get one stock  - $BRO (also inspired from @dealraker of course) from his talks. I think his style is not for everyone, but you can learn a lot from his way of thinking and just boot this on your own investment process.

I particular think it’s whether just thinking through what stock could become a 100 bagger, if you look into small caps or maybe mid caps and make it part of your investment decision.

Edited by Spekulatius

3 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

@John Hjorth The Chuck Akre talk is great. FWIW, there are several lengthy podcasts and YouTube clips from Chris Mayers Regieeinfall his investing process. I have read the book, but you can get a pretty good idea how he thinks and what he is looking for watching one or two of these, if you prefer the visual/audio version or learning.

I did get one stock  - $BRO (also inspired from @dealraker of course) from his talks. I think his style is not for everyone, but you can a lot from his way of thinking and just boot this on your own investment process.

I particular think it’s weather just thinking through what stock could become a 100 bagger, if you look into small caps or maybe mid caps and make it part of your investment decision.

Thank you for your inputs here, @Spekulatius & @dealraker,

As always, it's just great that you - as seasoned investors with lots of experience - actually have chosen to share to your personal experiences and personal findings / rationales etc. with other members here on CoBF, in stead of "just" keeping it for yourself, as the alternative option.

It's an enormous privilege to have access to your line of thinking - over time - through your posts here on CoBF. This is actually not just about you two gents and your posts, but related to all contributing CoBF members. Nobody else mentioned here specifically, but certainly nobody forgotten.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

@John Hjorth The Chuck Akre talk is great. FWIW, there are several lengthy podcasts and YouTube clips from Chris Mayers explaining his investing process. I have read the book, but you can get a pretty good idea how he thinks and what he is looking for watching one or two of these, if you prefer the visual/audio version or learning.

I did get one stock  - $BRO (also inspired from @dealraker of course) from his talks. I think his style is not for everyone, but you can learn a lot from his way of thinking and just boot this on your own investment process.

I particular think it’s whether just thinking through what stock could become a 100 bagger, if you look into small caps or maybe mid caps and make it part of your investment decision.

Thank you for guidance, @Spekulatius,

Much appreciated for my part personally. The line of thinking by Mr. Mayer is indeed very interesting.

To me, he is GARPy, verging to the extremes. I.e. I can't imagine a by now realistic market price of EVO.STO, which Mr. Mayer already owns in reasonable quantities, that would cause me to engage. For him : No sweat [, while I'm turning the back to it.]. An other Swedish one is LIFCO_B.STO.

- - - o 0 o - - -

I think this "issue" is not only about temper, age, etc., but certainly also related to "hunger".

However, I like reading the stuff produced by Mr. Mayer, alone because he is never a crank, never caused by swinging the wrong leg out of the f**cking bed first thing in the morning, after not getting lucky last night.

• Parsad changed the title to 100 baggers - Christopher Mayer
  • 6 months later...
On 11/22/2023 at 8:25 PM, Suri22 said:

not worth wasting your time on this nothing new to read ..  rather its better to read thomas phelps 100 to 1

Nice suggestion, thanks.

Here's a quick breakdown by one of our own.

Makes a nice refresher.

From the title, I thought this was going to be a Howard Marksish, "How to Avoid Reverse 100 Baggers".

It kind of is.

https://www.amazon.com/100-Stock-Market-Distinguished-Opportunities/dp/1626540292

Edited by DooDiligence