Author Topic: Creativity, Inc. - Ed Catmull  (Read 10311 times)

yadayada

Re: Creativity, Inc. - Ed Catmull
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 12:50:19 PM »
I can imagine that animators and software engineers have huge leverage at companies like that. once you have a skilled and experienced team, that is very hard to replicate, and the success of the company basicly hinges on it. So i can see how they could squeeze most of the profits away if they work together as a team to get higher pay. Obviously doesn't make it right.

I guess what I mean is, untill I read about what these animators were actually making, I am holding off judgement for now.

There is this mentality that people blindly want to jump executive's throat and point at them as an example how unfair the world is these days.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:57:23 PM by yadayada »

giofranchi

• Twitter: @giovfranchi
    • Master School Politecnico di Milano
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 07:49:41 AM »
From the Introduction:

What makes Pixar special is that we acknowledge we will always have problems, many of them hidden from our views; that we work hard to uncover these problems, even if doing so means making ourselves uncomfortable; and that, when we come across a problem, we marshal all of our energies to solve it. This, more than any elaborate party or turreted workstation, is why I love coming to work in the morning. It is what motivates me and gives me a definite sense of mission.

The most compelling mechanisms to me are those that deal with uncertainty, instability, lack of candor, and the things we cannot see. I believe the best managers acknowledge and make room for what they do not know – not just because humility is a virtue but because until one adopts that mindset, the most striking breakthroughs cannot occur. I believe that managers must loosen the controls, not tighten them. They must accept risk; they must trust the people they work with and strive to clear the path for them; and always, they must pay attention to and engage with anything that creates fear. Moreover, successful leaders embrace the reality that their models may be wrong or incomplete. Only when we admit what we don’t know can we ever hope to learn it.

The Introduction alone imo is worth the cost of the book! ;)

Gio
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:54:17 AM by giofranchi »
Portfolio: AAPL, AMZN, BABA, BOSS, BRK.B, FB, FFH, FIH.U, FINX, FWONA, GOOG, IBB, JPM, LBRDA, MKL, NKE, QQQ, SFTBF, SMH, TCEHY, V, XBI, XT

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 08:05:13 AM »
I knew you'd like it, Gio ;)
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

compounding

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 04:02:37 AM »
I quite liked this one (despite just reading The Halo Effect :) ) and I will recommend it to people, especially if they haven't read very much about business and uncertainty etc.

My favourite parts of the book were the discussions on failure, process and in general dealing with an uncertain future with a probabilistic mindset, something which probably resonates with a few over here.
@JohanHjortsson

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 04:39:51 PM »
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/pixar-boys-club-john-lasseter-cassandra-smolcic-1202858982

This is pretty sad. I liked Ed Catmull's book about shaping the creative culture at Pixar. Seems like he should have focused on other parts of the culture too...

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 07:51:14 AM »
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"