Notes From Underground - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Castanza

Took me three years to work through Fyodor Dostoyevsky's five main works. Very much worth the time and effort.

- Notes from the underground

- Crime and Punishment

- The Idiot

- Demons (Probably my favorite)

- The Brothers Karamazov

“Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering. That is a fact.” - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

I loved "Crime and Punishment" and "Brothers Karamazov".

I tried reading Demons two months ago but gave up after 30-35 pages. Does it get any better? The reason I ask is because you specifically mention that it's your favourite. May be tempted to take another crack at it.

I loved "Crime and Punishment" and "Brothers Karamazov".

I tried reading Demons two months ago but gave up after 30-35 pages. Does it get any better? The reason I ask is because you specifically mention that it's your favourite. May be tempted to take another crack at it.

I guess it depends which core themes you find the most interesting. I simply liked the nihilistic theme in Demons. You could argue that some of his other stories are more entertaining, but if your're reading Dostoyevsky you're not really after a surface level story. I guess I shouldn't have assigned a favorite as I read them over a long period of time. I'm one of those people who will read 25 books at a time.

Brothers Karamazov is possibly my favourite book of all time. Have read it twice and certainly will revisit again.

Read C&P this past summer and it did not disappoint, although it was a heavy and difficult read, emotionally. Not a beach book!

Currently reading Demons and while the other books are much more philosophical/spiritual, Demons leans towards the political/philosophical. It's really hard to keep track of all the characters as well. I'd say this is the most challenging of the 3 books. But there are some nuggets in there. I agree with clutch 100% on his comment.

I feel like Demons, in particular, is just as relevant today as it was when it was written. I'm about halfway through but the "revolutionaries" are striking in their efforts to control, misinform, and exploit, using the same tactics we see employed by all sides today.

Brothers Karamazov is possibly my favourite book of all time. Have read it twice and certainly will revisit again.

Read C&P this past summer and it did not disappoint, although it was a heavy and difficult read, emotionally. Not a beach book!

Currently reading Demons and while the other books are much more philosophical/spiritual, Demons leans towards the political/philosophical. It's really hard to keep track of all the characters as well. I'd say this is the most challenging of the 3 books. But there are some nuggets in there. I agree with clutch 100% on his comment.

I feel like Demons, in particular, is just as relevant today as it was when it was written. I'm about halfway through but the "revolutionaries" are striking in their efforts to control, misinform, and exploit, using the same tactics we see employed by all sides today.

I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie with William Shatner (Captain Kirk) and Richard Basehart (Admiral Nelson)!

• 5 months later...