The Money Game - Adam Smith

cobafdek

[amazonsearch]The Money Game[/amazonsearch]

I'm making a loose connection with the nearby thread on The Intelligent Investor FIRST EDITION.  While musing how Zweig might have been selected, I recalled that Graham almost selected George J. W. "Adam Smith" Goodman to edit what was to become the 4th edition updated by Buffett.

I picked up a cheap paperback copy of The Money Game from one of the then dozens of secondhand bookstores in the Boston area.  It was about 20 years ago, and I had just seen Jim Rogers on CNBC touting this book, so I had to read it.  It was a terrific read.  (A few years later, I picked up a free copy of the hardback edition in great condition, from the discard pile at a public library.  I know, I'm bragging again.)  It's on my pile of books to re-read. 

Value investing history buffs can speculate with one of those "what-might-have-beens":  what if Graham had chosen Goodman?

I'm making a loose connection with the nearby thread on The Intelligent Investor FIRST EDITION.  While musing how Zweig might have been selected, I recalled that Graham almost selected George J. W. "Adam Smith" Goodman to edit what was to become the 4th edition updated by Buffett.

I picked up a cheap paperback copy of The Money Game from one of the then dozens of secondhand bookstores in the Boston area.  It was about 20 years ago, and I had just seen Jim Rogers on CNBC touting this book, so I had to read it.  It was a terrific read.  (A few years later, I picked up a free copy of the hardback edition in great condition, from the discard pile at a public library.  I know, I'm bragging again.)  It's on my pile of books to re-read. 

Value investing history buffs can speculate with one of those "what-might-have-beens":  what if Graham had chosen Goodman?

It might be more entertaining and less text book like.

I think I like it better with Buffett.

;)

Here is my copy--notice the price in the upper right corner! I bought and read this in 1969.

Nice!  (except hope you didn't pay full retail price:  $1.25 then is $14.95 now.)  Since we're carbon-dating ourselves, I'll mention I was growing up in Ohio at the time.  1969 was a big year for Ohio:  an Ohio boy walks on the moon, an event overshadowed only by Mike Phipps about to become a Brown.

Here is my copy--notice the price in the upper right corner! I bought and read this in 1969.

Nice!  (except hope you didn't pay full retail price:  $1.25 then is $14.95 now.)  Since we're carbon-dating ourselves, I'll mention I was growing up in Ohio at the time.  1969 was a big year for Ohio:  an Ohio boy walks on the moon, an event overshadowed only by Mike Phipps about to become a Brown.

Yes I paid full retail! I was not indoctrinated yet to value investing!

In 1969 I was not yet a Boilermaker, but seeing Boilermaker Armstrong walk on the moon and Boilermaker Phipps beat Notre Dame three years in a row must have had an influence on me!

In 1969 I was not yet a Boilermaker

You read this in high school!?  If so, damn precocious when compared to my high school mentality, when I would have passed over Adam Smith's The Money Game in favor of Tony Robbins's Money: Master the Game.  I concede:  Boilermaker 1, Buckeye 0.

In 1969 I was not yet a Boilermaker

You read this in high school!?  If so, damn precocious when compared to my high school mentality, when I would have passed over Adam Smith's The Money Game in favor of Tony Robbins's Money: Master the Game.  I concede:  Boilermaker 1, Buckeye 0.

My parents lived through the depression, which greatly influenced me. So I was always interested in accumulated wealth in case of another depression. Growing up I did it by being a paper boy, caddy, etc., and saving everything. I had a sister who was six years older. She had a boyfriend who was a stockbroker. He told me about the book so I bought it and read it. I don't think I understood much. When I reread it about 10 years ago I understood what Adam Smith was talking about!

If I had not gone into a technical/science/engineering career, I would have gone into something dealing with finance.

Our football team is pathetic. So I am pulling for the Buckeyes to do well for the B1G.

• 4 years later...

Amazon is selling this today at price close to the one "in the upper right corner".  8)

https://smile.amazon.com/Money-Game-Adam-Smith-ebook/dp/B00VSLI6NI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1543264960&sr=8-4&keywords=money+game

I read the intro and I doubt I'd be interested in it, so I'm saving my hard earned $1.99 and not buying.