Author Topic: Why We Sleep - Matthew Walker  (Read 11366 times)

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
Re: Why We Sleep - Matthew Walker
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 04:06:57 AM »
 This should be good. Part one of three:

https://peterattiamd.com/matthewwalker1/

Update: I've had a chance to listen to it and it's great. Highly recommended. Can't wait for part 2 and 3.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 11:09:52 AM by Liberty »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 05:53:56 AM »
Part 2 of Attia's interview:

https://peterattiamd.com/matthewwalker2/
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 04:23:07 AM »

Vish_ram

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 06:38:02 AM »
I found that I had the best sleep when I was on Keto diet. if I wanted, I could sleep for 9 hours.

if you are struggling with weight loss, Keto is a good place to start. I lost 22 pounds in 3 months, going from BMI of ~26.5 to 23.8.

Vegetarians find Keto hard, but there are lots of options. PM me if you want to know more.

Cigarbutt

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 09:57:23 AM »
Many valuable insights form Mr. Walker.

I like the way he suggests that there is more than correlation between sleep and other mental parameters, that there may a cause and effect going in two directions and that the causality from quality/quantity of sleep to other endpoints has been vastly underestimated.

Sleep needs of children is another interesting topic and the following reference ties together several concepts (figures 5.4 and 5.5): correlation versus causality, potential confounding variables and the Easterlink paradox.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/happiness-report/2019/WHR19_Ch5.pdf

A nice correlating feature found in figure 5.5 is that the listed happiness-related activities help to balance the caloric balance.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2019, 06:31:14 AM »
This should be good. Part one of three:

https://peterattiamd.com/matthewwalker1/

Update: I've had a chance to listen to it and it's great. Highly recommended. Can't wait for part 2 and 3.

I'm re-listening to this one (the three parts) a second time. So many important things, impossible to retain it all after just one listen.

I also got my Oura ring since, which helps a lot with tracking how I sleep.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF

NeverLoseMoney

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2019, 07:54:16 AM »
Some critical points about this book: Matthew Walker's "Why We Sleep" Is Riddled with Scientific and Factual Errors.

It seems much of the book is not as scientifically accurate as Walker makes it out to be, so I don't think anyone should be too worried if you don't sleep eight hours a night but feel fine. I usually get around seven hours of sleep a night, sometimes a bit less, but feel fully rested.

FWIW: I read the book and enjoyed it at the time.

netnet

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2019, 01:32:44 PM »
So we have a renowned professor, writing on his area of expertise vs random internet dude.  hmm.  I only spot checked one thing, Guzey got it wrong and that was all I needed. 

Now I was admittedly predisposed not to agree with Guzey, but I also should not have been able to find an error/inconsistency however minor in 5 minute review.  so....

(Note: this is a continent away from my circle of competence, so you can judge that as well.)

Spekulatius

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2019, 03:44:15 PM »
So we have a renowned professor, writing on his area of expertise vs random internet dude.  hmm.  I only spot checked one thing, Guzey got it wrong and that was all I needed. 

Now I was admittedly predisposed not to agree with Guzey, but I also should not have been able to find an error/inconsistency however minor in 5 minute review.  so....

(Note: this is a continent away from my circle of competence, so you can judge that as well.)

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.