Author Topic: Fairfax 2020  (Read 8091 times)

wondering

Fairfax 2020
« on: January 03, 2020, 07:43:25 AM »
Dividend time!

No change from prior years - $10US per share

Date of record - January 21, 2020

Payment date - January 28, 2020

https://www.fairfax.ca/news/press-releases/press-release-details/2020/Fairfax-Declares-Annual-Dividend/default.aspx

wondering

newtovalue

Re: Fairfax 2020
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 04:32:42 PM »

petec

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 12:49:13 AM »
new acquisition by FFH in Sri Lanka

http://www.ft.lk/front-page/Fairfax-buys-10-7-JKH-stake-from-Khazanah-for-Rs-22-7-b/44-693402

The amazing thing about that article is the list of other little deals Fairfax has done that I know nothing about!

Dazel

newtovalue

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 06:36:38 PM »

http://www.ft.lk/front-page/Fairfax-buys-10-7-JKH-stake-from-Khazanah-for-Rs-22-7-b/44-693402

The amazing thing about that article is the list of other little deals Fairfax has done that I know nothing about!

@Petec - agreed! I think this is part of the valuation challenge for FFH. As they have grown - they have acquired more and more investments which are hidden deep within the financial statements. Most investors (myself included) would not have a complete understanding of exactly what they own. Its at times like this I wonder if Fairfax would benefit from some providing its shareholders with a condensed view of their empire - similar to Buffett's 5 groves approach.

StevieV

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 07:22:34 AM »

@Petec - agreed! I think this is part of the valuation challenge for FFH. As they have grown - they have acquired more and more investments which are hidden deep within the financial statements. Most investors (myself included) would not have a complete understanding of exactly what they own. Its at times like this I wonder if Fairfax would benefit from some providing its shareholders with a condensed view of their empire - similar to Buffett's 5 groves approach.

I'm not sure it matters.  Are the investments material?

At the end of the day, everything shows up in the earnings and book value, and those are largely influenced by the big factors. 

Viking

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 11:49:42 PM »
Here is some new news on Farmers Edge, one of Fairfax’s private investments.

Farmers Edge and Fairfax Brasil Partner to Bring Data-Driven Crop Insurance to Growers in Brazil
- https://business.financialpost.com/pmn/press-releases-pmn/business-wire-news-releases-pmn/farmers-edge-and-fairfax-brasil-partner-to-bring-data-driven-crop-insurance-to-growers-in-brazil

Here is the summary on the company provided by Fairfax in their 2018 annual report.

“Farmers Edge. Farmers Edge was founded in 2005 by Wade Barnes in Winnipeg, Manitoba as a project-based consulting company providing value added agronomy services for large scale farmers. The business has since evolved into one of the leading SaaS (software as a service) farm management platforms with 24 million acres under management as of December 2018, with an anticipated increase to 40 million acres by the end of 2019. Key services offered under the Farmers Edge platform include: 1) One of the highest density of weather stations in North America. Farmers can have alerts sent to their phones, even at 4am, if there is to be frost on one of their farms. Important, as there is only one harvest! 2) Daily satellite imagery to track crop health via tablet, phone or PC. 3) Brand-agnostic telematics enabling passive data collection. 4) Soil sampling and variable rate fertilizer application, which allows farms to increase yields with less overall fertilizer application. Four-year customer contracts provide Farmers Edge with predictable recurring revenue and cash flows. Fairfax made a $95 million equity investment in March 2017 and has since provided additional funding of $64 million in the form of debentures plus warrants, based on an implied valuation of 4x projected December 2019 base business EBITDA.”

wondering

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 06:32:39 AM »
dividends are in.

My RBC Direct Investing account gave me a FX rate of 1.313
The TD Direct Investing account gave me a FX rate of 1.303

StubbleJumper

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 07:51:57 AM »
dividends are in.

My RBC Direct Investing account gave me a FX rate of 1.313
The TD Direct Investing account gave me a FX rate of 1.303

Why do you hold the shares on the Canadian side of your account?  Ask your broker to journal your shares to the US side of your account and then you will receive your divvy in US dollars.  That gives you the option to re-invest the divvy in the US market without having to exchange the money twice (ie, it would be disappointing to receive US$10k of FFH divvies which is converted to Cdn$13.13k if you are just going to convert it back to buy US shares...you would probably only end up with US$9,700 or something).  If you receive the divvy in the US side of your account, you can always convert the US dollars back to Cdn at your leisure if you need to in the future....

SJ