Fairfax - General News

alpha

First step to a pipeline to Edmonton, then onto tidewater.

Cardboard

Only in your dreams.  I am a pipeline proponent but Churchill is not the place for a deepwater petroleum port.  Just take a look at their shipping season and you'll agree. If climate change kicks into high gear, then maybe in 100 or 200 years Hudson Bay could be free of ice for 300 days per year and your pipeline might be feasible.  But, not any time soon.

SJ

It's big news here in Manitoba. It took a long time to get this deal done. They see some value in this as they kept going after the deal. Hopefully the line gets back into service before freeze up.

I'm not sure what the value is at this point but they also got the port.

Russians don't wait for climate change, they act and ship from worst conditions than Churchill:

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/russias-icebreakers-make-it-king-of-the-arctic-and-amer-1791664539

Unfortunately, this country prefers giving away $15 billion/year to U.S. refiners and its citizens instead of finding ways to ship oil and its resources to other countries.

U.S. "eco" donors truly found a way to kill Canada: train/support protesters with maybe $10 million. This is no conspiration theory, it is easy to find publicly who donates to these various organizations such as Natives and ecolos.

Then after that kill NAFTA.

Soon enough the property market will crash and many will go hungry.

Cardboard

Russians don't wait for climate change, they act and ship from worst conditions than Churchill:

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/russias-icebreakers-make-it-king-of-the-arctic-and-amer-1791664539

Unfortunately, this country prefers giving away $15 billion/year to U.S. refiners and its citizens instead of finding ways to ship oil and its resources to other countries.

U.S. "eco" donors truly found a way to kill Canada: train/support protesters with maybe $10 million. This is no conspiration theory, it is easy to find publicly who donates to these various organizations such as Natives and ecolos.

Cardboard

Clearly the environmentalists are doing more harm than good. As a result of their successful efforts at blocking Energy East and delaying the Transmountain pipeline they have created a situation where Alberta oil will be shipped via rail to the US instead, which poses a far greater environmental risk than the one they were opposing. Saudi oil continues to shipped by tanker up the St Lawrence  yet they seem okay with Canada getting oil from countries where environmental standards are far lower than Alberta's. Nor do oil tankers in the St Lawrence seaway seem to bother them. Strange?

Cardboard

Then the Russians are fools.  Churchill has a shipping season of 90 or 100 days without foolish government intervention in the form of breaking ice for a few thousand miles.  If we wanted to get into that business, we'd be further ahead breaking ice on lake Superior and running a pipeline to thunder Bay.  At least there's a 280 day shipping season there on the lakes.  But both of those concepts are unrealistic.  For an oil pipeline, you'd need 300 days at a minimum.

I agree with all of the sentiments about the Eco freaks and the influence of foreign money.

SJ

Did they break even on those lawsuit yet?

BeerBaron

By that, I guess you mean the basic NPV question of legal costs and settlements.

But did they have a choice?

Once the 2006 lawsuit was launched, most "critics" were silenced and I'd say that was a good thing.

I would also say that this wasn't about winning, it was about not losing.

https://www.sec.gov/comments/s7-31-08/s73108-39.pdf

"In July 2006 -- after nearly four years of having been the target of a relentless campaign of false rumors, dirty tricks, harassment, and market manipulation by certain short-selling hedge funds and those working with them --Fairfax had no choice but to institute a lawsuit to stop this illegal conduct."

"Thus, when Fairfax's reputation was attacked through the spread of false rumors, not only its short-term success, but its entire existence, was threatened."

That 2006 period with restatements and all, in retrospect, was an excellent contrarian period. And I didn't mind the large legal costs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Did anyone else notice the reports today that the first VIA passenger train just headed north to Churchill?  Looks like the tracks are in good enough shape for a light passenger train, so after a full freeze-up, presumably the tracks could accommodate a heavier freight train.

SJ

(I didn't know that it takes 45 hours to take the train from Winnipeg to Churchill...I think I'd be ponying up for a plane ticket!)

Just make sure when you do your math to factor in the cost of doing nothing.

• 6 months later...

Short Bloomberg article about Indias Chemical Industry: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-26/china-s-pain-is-india-s-gain-as-chemical-stocks-surge-to-record

Value of India’s specialty chemicals sector is likely to rise almost two-and-a-half times to $87 billion by March 2025, driven by robust 10%-15% growth in end-user industries and emerging export opportunities to the West and China clampdown, the analysts said.