Author Topic: Is it time to buy Fairfax?  (Read 5104 times)

thrifty

Re: Is it time to buy Fairfax?
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2019, 06:14:37 PM »
Thank you Viking. Makes a lot of sense to me.

In your 3 points above, we have an insurance company, a short duration long bond fund, plus an EM private equity fund(?) in one company?

I'm surprised that they don't have exposure to the toxic sh&t in energy such as NatGas or offshore. It seems that they are really good at getting themselves into something that's just about to go into deep depression.

One way to trade is to watch what FFX buys and wait for a year or two (or 10) to follow in. You either get it cheaper before it goes belly up or get a 3 to 10 bagger.

Are you doing that these days?

SharperDingaan

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: Today at 10:05:08 AM »
There's nothing wrong with just keeping it very simple, and simply buying/selling across the ex-dividend date.
Buy a day before the ex-date, take the USD 10 dividend, sit in the thing for a short period until the price recovers, and exit.
Done and dusted by the end of January.

SD

Viking

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: Today at 11:50:52 AM »
Thirfty, i used to closely follow what Fairfax was doing from an invesmtent standpoint (i also used to follow Francis Chou) and sometimes made purchases. I generally stopped about 4 or 5 years ago. Today i prefer large cap; quality; out of favour. Fairfax’s style is generally not a good fit for me these days (deep value... declining industries... sometimes declining companies). I am following their investments today more to understand how it is impacting Fairfax book value than to invest directly. Having said that Fairfax India does look interesting at $11.50...

Sharper, i agree, the upcoming $10 US dividend is another (small) near term benefit for current owners :-)
« Last Edit: Today at 11:53:46 AM by Viking »