Barry Diller on CNBC

txlaw

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Great comment on dual class shares.  If you pick the right people it can be a huge benefit as a shareholder (Diller, Malone, Google-guys, etc.).  If you pick the wrong ones (Biglari, etc) it can be devastating.  All comes down to character.

Guest cherzeca

Great comment on dual class shares.  If you pick the right people it can be a huge benefit as a shareholder (Diller, Malone, Google-guys, etc.).  If you pick the wrong ones (Biglari, etc) it can be devastating.  All comes down to character.

stupid comment.  if you have single class shares and pick the right guy, he stays and we all make money. if you have a single class shares and you pick the wrong guy, you can fire him and stop losing money. either way dual class shares is stupid for shareholders.

stupid comment.  if you have single class shares and pick the right guy, he stays and we all make money. if you have a single class shares and you pick the wrong guy, you can fire him and stop losing money. either way dual class shares is stupid for shareholders.

I totally agree. Right guy or wrong, guy, the dual class shares make no sense.

I totally agree. Right guy or wrong, guy, the dual class shares make no sense.

I disagree. You get a cyclical downturn or some external event, shares crash, activists raise ruckus, kick out your good guy, and screw up business.

Or old huge co buys your growing co for cheap and your returns are gone.

• 5 months later...

Is Barry the first dude on work-from-home videos with multimillion dollar paintings in his house? (I assume these are not just random trash copies lol).

Well, it is somehow comforting that even billionaires have crappy webcams, microphones, and have connections that drop a lot of packets.

Bill Gates is the only one I've seen that has a professional-looking home setup. Looked better than the TV anchor setups, actually..

Barry Diller interview on CNBC this morning:

At the very end he says: “This is not short term... the effects.” Everyone better hope he is wrong.

Another tidbit: Expedia spends about $5 billion a year on advertising... this will be less than $1 billion moving forward. Lots of other industries (not just travel) will be the same.

Is Barry the first dude on work-from-home videos with multimillion dollar paintings in his house? (I assume these are not just random trash copies lol).

He is such a unit.  I agree with him on the effects.  Zero chance I take my family to a ballgame or on a plane until there is a proven, effective vaccine (or we have tested positive with antibodies and the medical community has established the likelihood of reactivation/infection).