Author Topic: A company I own got bought out, but I can't cash out.  (Read 3052 times)

Cigarbutt

Re: A company I own got bought out, but I can't cash out.
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2020, 03:25:12 PM »
... the fact that they may resume trading to scoop up stranded shares (like mine) is new to me and indeed great news. It also seems like an obvious solution. I interpreted the docs I saw on Euronext that the shares may never trade again (and so far, the trading halt is in place 3+ weeks already).

As far as reward for your due diligence on my behalf is concerned, I would be happy to buy you a couple of beers, but it would certainly not be Cameroon brewed beer from BCAM as their flagship brand (if we want to call it that) Export 33 apparently is of despicable quality. I would rather invite you to a local brew, which are very easy to find in myNeck of woods (Greater Boston area).

I am not sure where you reside in Canada, but of its the eastern part, it may be within reach when driving. do far, I have ventured only once into the land of Poutine and my do so again. If you ever happen to venture near Boston, hit me up and the beers will be on me.

The rest is probably better handled with a PM.
I hope it works out for you. Keep us informed.
I used to brew my own beers (in university) and microbreweries have become very popular around my area (Montreal area).
The reward was meant to be tongue-in-cheek but I would surely appreciate sharing a beer or two (?) one of these days because I like to learn.
Let's make it happen before a wall is built. :)

writser

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2020, 02:03:06 PM »
I feel like that squirrel in the ‘Ice Age’ movie intro that finds a hazelnut , but soon finds out that it needs to work really hard to keep it. This also makes me consider some life choices regarding obscure stocks and so  I sold another bugger waiting for a buyout today for a 40 Euro gain. ( In case this thread doesn’t deter people, the ticker is ARTO.PA from the Bollore solar system ). I really don’t want to deal with this sort of crap ever again.

No? Because of such sentiments I think situations like this are likely to be mispriced. I suggest you try to see it as an exciting hobby like sky diving or swimming with sharks. Only instead of doing something actually dangerous you have to read tedious documents and e-mail and call with office clerks all around the world. Same adrenaline kick but much safer. And you get paid to play. Seriously, can it get any better?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 02:08:09 PM by writser »
I'm sorry if I have offended you. Please contact this forum's safe space coordinator to work thing out.

@thewritser

Spekulatius

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2020, 04:09:16 PM »
I feel like that squirrel in the ‘Ice Age’ movie intro that finds a hazelnut , but soon finds out that it needs to work really hard to keep it. This also makes me consider some life choices regarding obscure stocks and so  I sold another bugger waiting for a buyout today for a 40 Euro gain. ( In case this thread doesn’t deter people, the ticker is ARTO.PA from the Bollore solar system ). I really don’t want to deal with this sort of crap ever again.

No? Because of such sentiments I think situations like this are likely to be mispriced. I suggest you try to see it as an exciting hobby like sky diving or swimming with sharks. Only instead of doing something actually dangerous you have to read tedious documents and e-mail and call with office clerks all around the world. Same adrenaline kick but much safer. And you get paid to play. Seriously, can it get any better?

You are correct. The reason why in the end I don’t like that investment is because the IRF in the end was single digits. I bought this stock several years ago and thought I‘d hit on something. A brewery in Africa (growth market) with a rising dividend,a great balance sheet and rising profits and almost a monopoly (80% market share) what could go wrong? It turns out a lot - the oil Crash dunked the economy, currency tumbled, rebels taking over part of the country (and a BCAM  facility for a while). Those were just the thing I am aware of and there are likely more. Profits tumbled and bounced a round, dividend was cut some too and the price faltered after rising quite a bit. I sold some shares onto a spike in 2019, then bought them back when it dunked to 80 Euro and change and then finally the buyout. ingress from the buy it looks Ok, but form start to finish, i would have been better of buying a SPY ETF and be done with it, without the brain damage in between. Although I do admit the the BCAM Ride was more interesting.

Ingress there is going to be time when going the extra mile is going to be worth it, but the last 5 years that surely want the case.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.