Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 22583 times)

petec

Re: Brexit
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2019, 07:05:53 AM »
The “ in between” situation seems to me much worse for the Brits than either to stay it go.

Precisely and that is the enormous error the Labour Party are making, because they are blinded by internal division, a fear of letting the Tories be seen to win (by getting a deal), and also a fear that any real Brexit will allow the Tories to roll back EU labour and environmental legislation and sell the NHS - all fatuous concerns given that such policies would have to be tested at the ballot box.
FFH MSFT BRK BAM ATCO LNG IHG TFG CGT DC/A

Spekulatius

« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2019, 08:34:39 PM »
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

Cigarbutt

« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2019, 08:35:06 AM »
Pretty good article about Boris Johnson:
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/12/boris-johnson-brexit.html
Thanks! That was an interesting take. Never underestimate people who have drooping eyelids and the value of self-derision, as long as your ability to do so is bigger than your ego.
If short on time, the Eton rugby photo says it all.

petec

« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2019, 09:30:05 AM »
That’s easily the best article on Boris that I’ve read. Captures the bar and the good. My view is that he is not to be underestimated, but will eventually disappoint.

SharperDingaan

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2019, 09:47:30 AM »
His only crime is that he is very good at what he does, he dances to his own tune ... and 'eff off the rest of you!
Being from society he's supposed to 'behave' as such, and be controllable; NOT an unpredictable, disruptive black swan!
The 'beserker' rugby reference is very telling. 

You may think him an idiot, but often people like this really do change things.
They easily do what others fear to, the risks don't bother them, and there's often a strong sense of right/wrong - it just might not be everyone else's idea of right/wrong! The societal resistance is just fear of change.

My kind of scum!
https://www.starwars.com/video/my-kind-of-scum

SD

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 09:32:27 AM by SharperDingaan »

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2020, 09:54:47 AM »
So I sold a gold poison ring on eBay to a buyer in the UK & the USPS told me that importation of gold jewelry from the US to the UK is prohibited.

FedEx & UPS told me the same thing.

I canceled the sale as I'm unwilling to falsify customs documents & possibly have the item seized.

Is this a BREXIT issue?

---

Shameless plug: Deals abound as I've listed some new 18K eternity bands with diamonds & colored stones in addition to more Fleur de Lis.

There's also an eclectic mix of other great products.

Google ebay tunawish if interested.
AFL // BRK.B // CLB an incredibly stupid move // EW // GPC // MO an incredibly stupid ex-CEO // MTB // NVO // PSX // TRMD // ULTA // VDE // VLGEA // WFC

Investable cash 16% + 18 months of survival $

petec

« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2020, 10:05:18 AM »
So I sold a gold poison ring on eBay to a buyer in the UK & the USPS told me that importation of gold jewelry from the US to the UK is prohibited.

I canceled the sale as I'm unwilling to falsify customs documents & possibly have the item seized.

Is this a BREXIT issue?

---

Shameless plug: Deals abound as I've listed some new 18K eternity bands with diamonds & colored stones in addition to more Fleur de Lis.

I highly doubt it.

WTAF is a poison ring?

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2020, 10:12:01 AM »

Is this a BREXIT issue?

---

I highly doubt it.

WTAF is a poison ring?

A poison ring is worn on the finger & has a hinged lid with a stash compartment.

They were purportedly used to store poison to be surreptitiously dumped into someones food or drink at a gathering.

They were also used in the Victorian era & wearers would put perfumed items in them to quell stenches.

Here's a modern version.

www.ebay.com/itm/203005225978
AFL // BRK.B // CLB an incredibly stupid move // EW // GPC // MO an incredibly stupid ex-CEO // MTB // NVO // PSX // TRMD // ULTA // VDE // VLGEA // WFC

Investable cash 16% + 18 months of survival $

thowed

« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2020, 01:43:21 AM »
PeteC - you mean you've never read Asterix in Switzerland??  It's the only reason I know about poison rings...

petec

« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2020, 02:15:57 AM »
PeteC - you mean you've never read Asterix in Switzerland??  It's the only reason I know about poison rings...

I bow to your knowledge.

I love Asterix - has been a long time but my in a couple of years my son will be the right age and I can't wait to revisit.