Author Topic: COBF 2020 Returns (pre-tax, after fees, etc)  (Read 28198 times)

Broeb22

COBF 2020 Returns (pre-tax, after fees, etc)
« on: January 01, 2021, 06:13:48 PM »
Whoa setting up that poll like John Hjorth did was tedious on the iPad.

Anyways, what were everyoneís 2020 returns? No judgment given to those who would rather turn the page on 2020 without looking back.

If you also want to share some big winners and losers in the comments that might be interesting...

gary17

Re: COBF 2020 Returns (pre-tax, after fees, etc)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 06:45:46 PM »
i had a good  year with Xpel, Shop and CZO (ceapro) RH and TSLA which i just most sold out around $600. 
i bought a bunch facebook msft appl during the dip and they did well too.  CSU also helped

iím thinking of exiting the market and buy real estate in vancouver.  is that the same as selling tesla to buy air bnb ?? lol

EricSchleien

• EricSchleien.com
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 07:52:36 PM »
My Account for 2020

+56.68% TWR
+66.12% MWR

Biggest Winners:

Trupanion
Liberated Syndication
Game Account Network
Bragg Gaming
Facebook
Amazon
Conic Metals
AerCap
SandRidge Mississippian Trust I
Manning & Napier
Support.com
Affymax
Myrexis
TSR
Yowie
Wilson Learning Worldwide
Clean Seas Tuna
Brookfield Property
CDR
NTT System SA
Alaska Communications
Think Childcare
Link Administration Holdings
St. Joe Corp
Griffin Industrial
Hingham Institution for Savings

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 08:03:28 PM by EricSchleien »
My book: https://amzn.to/2JFdVfz

EricScheien.com
Founder/CEO GSCM: https://www.gscm.co/

Partner, TLA: https://www.transformationalleadershipassociates.com/

Founder/CEO, Wyoming Warehousing & Safe Deposit Co

Founder, ProxyActivism.com

Viking

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 08:16:54 PM »
iím thinking of exiting the market and buy real estate in vancouver.  is that the same as selling tesla to buy air bnb ?? lol

That comment made my day :-) I am actually thinking of doing the opposite. Gotta love how smart people can look at the exact same situation and see two completely different solutions / ways forward.

No right or wrong. The key is fit. Finding a solution that works for you. Best of luck!   

Viking

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 08:24:33 PM »
My return for the year came in at 15.6% (a shade better than my long term average).

VERY happy. I started the year heavy Fairfax so it could have easily been a tough year. At the time the pandemic hit capital preservation was my key objective: so mission accomplished. I was also heavy cash for large chunks of the year.

I did more trading in 2021 than ever before. My gains were made in mostly two time periods each time with a basket of stocks: late March/April (tech, dis, nike, sbuck etc - which I sold way too early) and then Nov (more cyclical stuff). Shifting most of my portfolio back to CAN$ during the year also helped (CAN$ strengthened by a couple of % vs the US$).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 09:08:39 PM by Viking »

gary17

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 09:03:43 PM »

That comment made my day :-) I am actually thinking of doing the opposite. Gotta love how smart people can look at the exact same situation and see two completely different solutions / ways forward.

No right or wrong. The key is fit. Finding a solution that works for you. Best of luck!

you are thinking of exiting real estate (in Vancouver?) and entering the stock market?

iím definitely not smart financially.  thx to this board (all the contributors and educators and the administrator Sanjeev of course) ó i have had some fun while keeping my capital and some :))

LC

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 09:08:47 PM »
Somewhere in the 30-40 range but I have to sit down and calculate the exact percentage.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
akam| brk.b | goog | irm | lyv | net | nlsn | pm | ssd | t | tfsl | v | wfc | xom

valueinvestor

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 09:48:36 PM »
Whoa setting up that poll like John Hjorth did was tedious on the iPad.

Anyways, what were everyoneís 2020 returns? No judgment given to those who would rather turn the page on 2020 without looking back.

If you also want to share some big winners and losers in the comments that might be interesting...

Any chance you can post your returns? Just curious.

Would post mine but since I'm young, I was able to take the concentration risk. Also, my investment track record is only 6 years - so I don't think it matters. However, it is above 50% - still have a long way to go. Hopefully it will provide cushion for the losses to come.

Viking

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 09:52:57 PM »

you are thinking of exiting real estate (in Vancouver?) and entering the stock market?

iím definitely not smart financially.  thx to this board (all the contributors and educators and the administrator Sanjeev of course) ó i have had some fun while keeping my capital and some :))

Gary, I posted my reply to the real estate thread (Garth Turner :-)

TwoCitiesCapital

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 10:15:30 PM »
2015: ~(20)
2016: 24.7
2017: 25.9
2018: (-14.1)
2019: 25.5
2020: (4.80)

Excluding holdings in BTC, my return was -4.8% for the year (what I voted). Dunno what it was including BTC as I account for that making TWR calculation difficult. Probably would've improved it to +1 or 2% for the year.

My cash return was positive ~4%, but because most of the dollars were made in Q4 with a portfolio that was much larger due to consistent inflows, it didn't improve the prior losses on a TWR basis by enough to end positive.

Went into 2020 roughly 50/50. Worked out well into March, but had shorted the market via SPY/QQQ puts and maintained them through May/June. Didn't think that the sell off would be so "shallow" or end so soon. Still not entirely convinced the fragility is gone :/ stubbornness isn't my best trait.

Bad Moves:
1) Being heavy into EM and cyclicals going into the crisis.

2) Being heavily into mortgage REITS thinking they'd be relatively safe in a sell-off as they proved in 2008

3) Continuing to remain short the market after the bottom passed and doubling down on the way up (responsible for roughly -6% of performance)

4) remaining 50/50 on the way back up due to my skepticism

Good Moves:
1) Bitcoin

2) Adding Gold/Silver call spreads in response to stimulus

3) Adding to Fairfax and Exor at ridiculous prices even AFTER the recovery was apparent

4) Substantially increasing by many fold my holdings in Rolls Royce after rights offering announced

5) sticking with, and adding to, mortgage REITS at significant discounts to NAV

6) refinancing my mortgage and converting an IRA balance to a Roth IRA. Probably more beneficial than all the positive investment decisions combined

Ultimately, disappointed with the performance. I thought that the bear market was certain to be more protracted by the economic damage that was/is still obvious. Got whipsawed on some of my more volatile retail names and sold other performing names too soon.

Also, while most of my stocks underperformed in the downturn, most also proved to underperform in the upturn as well - so far at least. It's only been in the last 60 days or so that they've begun to pop (up like 15-20% in the last 2 months!), but too little too late to save my year-end results.

I had a plan. I stuck to it. It didn't work out as well as hoped. I know what I could've done better, but I don't know why I would've done it because I still don't really understand why what's happened... happened. Still skeptical of valuations. Still see the economy as being fragile. Still don't think the Fed is the one floating this. And still see better value in international stocks and real asset producers. Maybe one day this broken clock will be right.

***Edited to include my prior years of returns for better reference in the future

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 02:03:35 PM by TwoCitiesCapital »