Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 234056 times)

TwoCitiesCapital

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #2570 on: March 26, 2020, 12:38:48 PM »
New York State hospitals had a 40% increase in hospitalizations over night. 100 new deaths since yesterday morning.

Just another flu. Nothing to see here.

cwericb

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2571 on: March 26, 2020, 12:42:36 PM »
"Does Gates know anything about infectious diseases? Isnít he just some tech billionaire? What a dummy!"

Never really thought of Gates as a dummy.

Italy and Spain were late to shut down and it hasn't worked out well for them. I would guess that the sooner you shut down, the sooner you will be able to open up again - but you need to stay in lock down until you can stop the spread of the virus or develop a vaccine. I'm certainly no expert, but it seems logical to me.

Is it not better to be over cautious than not cautious enough?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 12:55:12 PM by cwericb »
Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. - Mark Twain

Dalal.Holdings

« Reply #2572 on: March 26, 2020, 12:45:54 PM »
New York State hospitals had a 40% increase in hospitalizations over night. 100 new deaths since yesterday morning.

Just another flu. Nothing to see here.

I've never seen that happen with auto accidents, heart disease, or cancer either.

FYI, COVID daily deaths now exceed that from daily auto accident deaths in the United States...

Dalal.Holdings

« Reply #2573 on: March 26, 2020, 12:57:10 PM »
Nearing 80k confirmed cases in the U.S.

Within 48 hours, U.S. is on track to become the country with the most cases worldwide (more than China with 3x the population if you trust their numbers). Let that sink in.

minten

« Reply #2574 on: March 26, 2020, 01:01:12 PM »
FYI, COVID daily deaths now exceed that from daily auto accident deaths in the United States...

FYI, still nowhere near (as in less than 10%) to cancer deaths.  or cardio vascular deaths for that matter.

Dalal.Holdings

« Reply #2575 on: March 26, 2020, 01:02:09 PM »

FYI, still nowhere near (as in less than 10%) to cancer deaths.  or cardio vascular deaths for that matter.

Thanks for the update. FYI if it weren't for cancer or cardiovascular deaths, human beings would be immortal (other than dying from accidents/murder/etc).

cwericb

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2576 on: March 26, 2020, 01:12:34 PM »
ďFYI, still nowhere near (as in less than 10%) to cancer deaths.  or cardio vascular deaths for that matter.Ē

Realize you are trying to put things iin perspective, but in the long run it is kind of irrelevant isnít it - especially to those who has it?   But no sweat, I have it on good authority that this will all be over by Easter.
Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. - Mark Twain

TwoCitiesCapital

« Reply #2577 on: March 26, 2020, 01:12:44 PM »

Yup - thank goodness neither of those are communicable.

Also would add that the deaths from either will remain roughly static barring large scale behavioral change. So no change in behavior = no change in deaths.

Coronovirus deaths will likely increase until deaths are 1-2 million w/o large scale behavioral change (i.e social distancing) . No change in behavior = dramatic increase in deaths.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:27:32 PM by TwoCitiesCapital »

mcliu

« Reply #2578 on: March 26, 2020, 01:14:58 PM »
"Does Gates know anything about infectious diseases? Isnít he just some tech billionaire? What a dummy!"

Never really thought of Gates as a dummy.

Italy and Spain were late to shut down and it hasn't worked out well for them. I would guess that the sooner you shut down, the sooner you will be able to open up again - but you need to stay in lock down until you can stop the spread of the virus or develop a vaccine. I'm certainly no expert, but it seems logical to me.

Is it not better to be over cautious than not cautious enough?

I think you have to shutdown high density areas like big cities.
But it probably doesn't make sense to shutdown rural or mainly suburban areas. If people are careful, outbreaks will probably be rare, because no mass transit, lots of space per person, everyone drives, etc.

jjsto

« Reply #2579 on: March 26, 2020, 01:19:55 PM »
Does Gates know anything about infectious diseases? Isnít he just some tech billionaire? What a dummy!

The Gates Foundation has been woking on infectious diseases around the world for more than a decade.  Just read their annual reports.  There are probably very few people with his combination of real world experience and knowledge of infectious diseases.  He will be on a cnn tonite at 8 pm with Dr Fauci.