Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 997326 times)

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #8240 on: November 26, 2020, 09:45:19 AM »
@Eric - thank you for sharing your episode and glad you and your family are OK. Do you have any idea how your stepson get infected?

First, a bulk thank-you for the well-wishers.  We continue to not get any worse.

All of my stepson's friends appear to be well and their families too.  So maybe I got it at Costco where I wore a mask and spoke to nobody except from behind a window at checkout.  Maybe my wife caught it ordering at the counter the one time in a restaurant in El Dorado Hills that prior weekend.

But my stepson says he was showing symptoms all week, but then again my wife says he's a hypochondriac.  I really don't care.

Anyhow, we should have immunities for a while and we've booked ourselves six days on Oahu in late December -- we'll need to be tested again (ouch!) before the flight per travel restrictions.

frank87

« Reply #8241 on: November 26, 2020, 11:41:47 AM »
@Eric - thank you for sharing your episode and glad you and your family are OK. Do you have any idea how your stepson get infected?

First, a bulk thank-you for the well-wishers.  We continue to not get any worse.

All of my stepson's friends appear to be well and their families too.  So maybe I got it at Costco where I wore a mask and spoke to nobody except from behind a window at checkout.  Maybe my wife caught it ordering at the counter the one time in a restaurant in El Dorado Hills that prior weekend.

But my stepson says he was showing symptoms all week, but then again my wife says he's a hypochondriac.  I really don't care.

Anyhow, we should have immunities for a while and we've booked ourselves six days on Oahu in late December -- we'll need to be tested again (ouch!) before the flight per travel restrictions.

I seldom know how I get colds...it just happens I guess. There are times when I get sick despite not knowing anyone around me who is and other times when I don't get sick when the people I live with are.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your trip!

DocSnowball

« Reply #8242 on: November 26, 2020, 12:10:20 PM »
@Eric - sorry to hear about all that you went through. Glad to hear you're getting better. Wishing you and your family well for a speedy recovery!

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8243 on: November 26, 2020, 03:15:33 PM »
Thanks! 

Looks like personal responsibility is a really great theory:
US air travel sets a pandemic-era record despite calls to stay home for Thanksgiving
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/covid-air-travel-thanksgiving-trnd/index.html

frank87

« Reply #8244 on: November 26, 2020, 04:34:32 PM »
Thanks! 

US air travel sets a pandemic-era record despite calls to stay home for Thanksgiving
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/covid-air-travel-thanksgiving-trnd/index.html

Not to mention several politicians who got caught breaking their own rules to have Thanksgiving gatherings. I don't blame the public for becoming increasingly jaded by political leadership.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 04:39:02 PM by frank87 »

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8245 on: November 26, 2020, 04:56:51 PM »
Thanks! 

Not to mention several politicians who got caught breaking their own rules to have Thanksgiving gatherings. I don't blame the public for becoming increasingly jaded by political leadership.

People seem to relish in the discovered hypocrisy so that they can feel righteous in their own opposition, although that's pretty childish.  But from what I can tell people don't get too bothered when they feel the rules are just and in place to serve the greater good. 

I watch Fox News (not exclusively of course) and they're obsessed with Gavin Newsom's lunch, but the liberals channels don't really care at all to the same extent.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 05:00:20 PM by ERICOPOLY »

Investor20

« Reply #8246 on: November 26, 2020, 06:38:29 PM »
Thanks! 

People seem to relish in the discovered hypocrisy so that they can feel righteous in their own opposition, although that's pretty childish.  But from what I can tell people don't get too bothered when they feel the rules are just and in place to serve the greater good. 

I watch Fox News (not exclusively of course) and they're obsessed with Gavin Newsom's lunch, but the liberals channels don't really care at all to the same extent.

Eric hope you and your family have a quick and complete recovery.

Investor20

« Reply #8247 on: November 26, 2020, 06:59:17 PM »
Senate hearing testimony by Dr. George Fareed, a Harvard MD with honors and more profile given below:

https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Testimony-Fareed-2020-11-19.pdf

Since early March both in my Brawley clinic and Dr. Brian Tysonís The All Valley Urgent Care Clinic in El Centro (where I also work), over 25,000 fearful people were screened, over two thousand four hundred were COVID-19 positive and we treated successfully many hundreds of the high risk and symptomatic ones.

And this doctor has excellent credentials:
http://www.ivcommunityfoundation.org/media/managed/npd2019/NPD_2019_Program.pdf
PHILANTHROPIST OF THE YEAR Dr. George Fareed

Dr.  George  Fareed  graduated  with  honors  from  Harvard  Medical  School  in 1970  and  has  been  practicing  medicine  for  49  years.  He  spent  the  first  20 years after graduation researching and teaching at Harvard and UCLA. He was Assistant  Professor at  HMS  from  1973-1976.  He  was  Associate  Professor  at UCLA  from  1976-1996.  He  received  the  Soma  Weiss  Award  for  his  DNA                research.  He  founded  International  Genetic  Engineering,  Inc. in 1980 and Advanced Antigens, Inc. in 1991, the same year he opened his medical practice in  Brawley,  CA.  And,  he  was  the  US  Davis  Cup  tennis  team  physician  for  20 years and worked at 38 team matches and the US Olympics in Sydney in 2000.  In  the  memorable  1995  Davis  Cup  final  against  Russia  in  Moscow,  he  helped Pete Sampras bounce back from grueling leg cramps. He has been recognized for his many accomplishments including the 2004..........

You can read his full profile in the link...but my point is:

Whenever I went to doctor for my family one question I always had was how many they treated and what was the result and the doctors credentials.  If a doctor tells me they treated hundreds of patients and all of them are doing well, that usually works for me to take that treatment.

Why should not be taken seriously for Covid and ignore these doctors?

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8248 on: November 26, 2020, 09:03:10 PM »
I checked my result from Monday's testing:  again, 'negative'.  I give up.  What do I need next, an antibody test?

Investor20

« Reply #8249 on: November 26, 2020, 11:01:59 PM »
I checked my result from Monday's testing:  again, 'negative'.  I give up.  What do I need next, an antibody test?

How accurate is the diagnostic test for COVID-19?
The PCR test for COVID-19 works by detecting genetic material from SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The genetic material from SARS-CoV-2 cannot be confused with the genetic material from other viruses, so the COVID-19 diagnostic test is highly specific. This means it almost never gives a false positive. If you are tested for COVID-19, and the test comes back positive, you can be very sure that you are infected with this virus. The new antigen test for COVID-19 is also very specific and rarely gives a false positive.

Unfortunately, neither test is equally sensitive. If the specimen collection is not done perfectly, or if you are in an early stage of infection or already partially recovered, your nasal-swab sample might not contain enough viral material to come back positive. There are many stories about patients who tested negative soon after their symptoms began, only to test positive on a test done later. It is clear that the PCR test is more accurate at detecting early-stage infections, and there are early indications that the antigen test may be better at identifying patients who are already recovering.
https://medical.mit.edu/faqs/faq-testing-covid-19