Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 449998 times)

DocSnowball

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #2980 on: March 31, 2020, 01:33:43 PM »
Michael Osterholm, Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, interviewed by Peter Attia:

https://peterattiamd.com/michaelosterholm/

Interesting input on Lancet ID Case fatality rate - if there were a few people dying outside the hospitals in China, then CFR is much higher than the data shows.

vinod1

• Lifetime Member
    • My Blog
« Reply #2981 on: March 31, 2020, 04:41:50 PM »
Looks like thousands of American citizens are going to be crucified at the alter of one persons narcissism. A "war time" president who should be facing war criminal charges of epic incompetence.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/31/coronavirus-latest-news/

The White House coronavirus task force on Tuesday presented a grim picture of where the U.S. could be heading over the next couple of months, even with interventions like physical distancing. The task force projects 100,000 to 240,000 deaths from the virus, with mitigation.

Deborah Birx and Anthony S. Fauci, the leaders of the task force, emphasized that although the projections were likely based on the data that they have seen from the hardest hit locations so far, they were hopeful that they could prevent such a high number of deaths.

“Whenever you’re having an effect, it’s not time to take your foot off the accelerator, and on the brake, but to just press it down on the accelerator,” Fauci said of the mitigation efforts. “And that’s what I hope. And I know that we can that do over the next 30 days.”

The fundamental algorithm of life: repeat what works. –Charlie Munger

wisowis

« Reply #2982 on: March 31, 2020, 06:19:29 PM »
@tobi started wearing a mask

https://twitter.com/tobi/status/1244978720412250113?s=20

but he is having some issues

"Practical question though: How do you make your glasses not fog up?"

Billionaires.... they are just like the rest of us. :)

It's ill-advised, perhaps even Irresponsible for non-experts to promote wearing of masks during a pandemic to a population unaccustomed to wearing masks. New mask wearers will fiddle with the masks from discomfort, thereby increasing their risk of transmission by transfer from their hands.

Here are two McGill University medical experts weighing in with that message: https://youtu.be/TikOXwFHWXo?t=2915

arcube

« Reply #2983 on: March 31, 2020, 06:32:35 PM »
Looks like thousands of American citizens are going to be crucified at the alter of one persons narcissism. A "war time" president who should be facing war criminal charges of epic incompetence.

The White House coronavirus task force on Tuesday presented a grim picture of where the U.S. could be heading over the next couple of months, even with interventions like physical distancing. The task force projects 100,000 to 240,000 deaths from the virus, with mitigation.

Deborah Birx and Anthony S. Fauci, the leaders of the task force, emphasized that although the projections were likely based on the data that they have seen from the hardest hit locations so far, they were hopeful that they could prevent such a high number of deaths.

“Whenever you’re having an effect, it’s not time to take your foot off the accelerator, and on the brake, but to just press it down on the accelerator,” Fauci said of the mitigation efforts. “And that’s what I hope. And I know that we can that do over the next 30 days.”

Spot on. The lack of basic understanding shown in early stages of this is beyond belief. I still believe they are downplaying the true possible numbers here. Two more weeks and we will know, by tomorrow US will likely have 200K+ infections.

Viking

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2984 on: March 31, 2020, 07:16:55 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-31/hospitals-tell-doctors-they-ll-be-fired-if-they-talk-to-press

Hospitals are threatening to fire health-care workers who publicize their working conditions during the coronavirus pandemic -- and have in some cases followed through.

Ming Lin, an emergency room physician in Washington state, said he was told Friday he was out of a job because he’d given an interview to a newspaper about a Facebook post detailing what he believed to be inadequate protective equipment and testing. In Chicago, a nurse was fired after emailing colleagues that she wanted to wear a more protective mask while on duty. In New York, the NYU Langone Health system has warned employees they could be terminated if they talk to the media without authorization.

“Hospitals are muzzling nurses and other health-care workers in an attempt to preserve their image,” said Ruth Schubert, a spokeswoman for the Washington State Nurses Association. “It is outrageous.”

When i worked at Kraft Foods (as a sales person) we closed a distribution center and lots of people lost their job. We were told not to talk to the media.

While i would like to hear what health care workers have to say i also understand why the companies want to control what is said to the public and media.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:25:46 PM by Viking »

patience_and_focus

« Reply #2985 on: March 31, 2020, 07:57:19 PM »
"White House Economists Warned in 2019 a Pandemic Could Devastate America"
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/business/coronavirus-economy-trump.html

Some highlights -
- At even the highest rates it modeled, the pandemic flu in the exercise was still less contagious and less deadly than epidemiologists now say the coronavirus could be in the United States.

- The study published the previous fall had warned against such a comparison. “People may conflate the high expected costs of pandemic flu with the far more common, lower-cost seasonal flu,” the study said. “It is not surprising that people might underappreciate the economic and health risks posed by pandemic flu and not invest in ways to reduce these risks.”

This report was published by white house economists in 2019 (one of the authors who has since left for *American Enterprise Institute* a conservative think tank). The actual report (really good read) -

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Mitigating-the-Impact-of-Pandemic-Influenza-through-Vaccine-Innovation.pdf

mcliu

« Reply #2986 on: March 31, 2020, 09:10:25 PM »

Spot on. The lack of basic understanding shown in early stages of this is beyond belief. I still believe they are downplaying the true possible numbers here. Two more weeks and we will know, by tomorrow US will likely have 200K+ infections.

Shouldn’t PM Trudeau in Canada also be guilty of these war crimes? Basically all the political elite in Western countries should face trial?

gary17

« Reply #2987 on: March 31, 2020, 09:28:17 PM »
 I think part of the problem is in both case of the US and Canada - a part of them want to believe China was being truthful ... in Canada's case the relationship with China was at a very low point; and it was just not politically right to take a strong action.  I think Justin also wanted to contrast himself from Trump... so it may have also played into his slow response.  He probably wished the whole thing can be controlled / managed; and that he'd be credited for managing this in a very "canadian" way.  this of course backfired - now we have many deaths in Canada and hundreds of billions in debt.
and oil crash was just oil on fire...

WHO is also to blame.  The Director General basically was very reluctant to do anything - early on they said no human to human transmission; that got changed.  Then not a global health crisis; got changed.  and finally, reluctantly called this a pandemic.

Tredos is from Ethiopia ; was a health minister and a politican.  China gave a lot of aid to Ethiopia -  as much as I like to think there's no influence; i think chances are there is biased decision , cutting china a lot of slack early on.

I think history will go down as Justin being a weak leader
and Trump slow to react , but after watching him yesterday and today, the tone has really changed and if i had to bet , i'd say the US at this point forward likely has a better handle on things than Canada.   it'll be interesting to see where everyone is 2 weeks from now.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:59:33 PM by gary17 »

RichardGibbons

« Reply #2988 on: March 31, 2020, 10:07:43 PM »
Shouldn’t PM Trudeau in Canada also be guilty of these war crimes? Basically all the political elite in Western countries should face trial?

Nope. I'm not a Trudeau fan, but what he did was mostly right.  The biggest mistake he made was waiting too late to close the borders (perhaps taking into account the recommendations of the WHO, under the influence of China). The second biggest mistake was shoving support for Canadians through the EI system, but he rectified fairly quickly with the 75% salary thing.

In contrast, other than the smart closing of the border to China, Trump has done more than anyone else on earth, except possibly Xi, to maximize the deaths caused by the pandemic.

drzola

« Reply #2989 on: April 01, 2020, 12:36:10 AM »
Just me but Modi will go down in History as an legitimate humanitarian once and for all if his swift mandatory Country lockdown is preventative enough to keep current forward thinking trends advancing.
Just me here again ranting awaiting mixed modelling results as very slow VPN Ethernet from abode.

Stay safe.