Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 463528 times)

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #5710 on: May 22, 2020, 07:52:22 AM »

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/a-years-worth-of-suicide-attempts-in-the-last-four-weeks-california-doctor-calls-for-end-to-lockdown/

The doctor in charge of a Bay Area, Calif. trauma center said the state should end its lockdown orders after an “unprecedented” spike in suicide attempts amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“We’ve never seen numbers like this, in such a short period of time,” Dr. Mike deBoisblanc, head of trauma at John Muir Medical Center, told local station ABC7. “I mean, we’ve seen a year’s worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks.” He added that he thinks “it’s time” to end the state shutdown.

The article is based on one doctor's testimonial.  There's no data at all.  One person squashed by a UFO landing on his head would also be 'unprecedented'.  What kind of numbers are we talking about here?

Prior to COVID-19, there were more auto-accident fatalities than suicides in the US.  I imagine that relationship has flipped and will revert when things open up again. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:03:43 AM by ERICOPOLY »

Investor20

« Reply #5711 on: May 22, 2020, 08:04:22 AM »
https://news.bloomberglaw.com/coronavirus/adding-zinc-to-malaria-drug-mix-may-help-covid-19-patients-heal
Adding zinc to a cocktail of medicines touted by President Donald Trump may help Covid-19 patients survive and recover enough to be sent home from the hospital, according to researchers in New York City.

A group of 411 patients given zinc along with the malaria medicine hydroxychloroquine and the antibiotic azithromycin for five days were 44% less likely to die and 50% more likely to be discharged home than a comparison group of 521 patients who didn’t get the supplement.

What would the numbers be for taking zinc by itself, or for the cocktail without adding the hydroxychloroquine? 

The study says patients treated with hydrochloroquine benefit from zinc, but perhaps a more important question is whether patients treated with zinc benefit from the potentially deadly hydrochloroquine?

Eric, the study is between Zinc, HCQ +Azithromycin vs HCQ+Azithromycin.

The authors believe that HCQ helps zinc absorb and Zinc has antiviral properties.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/25658/20200512/hydroxychloroquine-azithromycin-zinc-triple-combo-proved-effective-coronavirus-patients-study.htm

In the study, half of 900 COVID-19 patients were given the triple-drug combo of hydroxychloroquine, zinc, and azithromycin.

The other half were given only hydroxychloroquine and the antibiotic, azithromycin.

frank87

« Reply #5712 on: May 22, 2020, 08:11:57 AM »

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/a-years-worth-of-suicide-attempts-in-the-last-four-weeks-california-doctor-calls-for-end-to-lockdown/

The doctor in charge of a Bay Area, Calif. trauma center said the state should end its lockdown orders after an “unprecedented” spike in suicide attempts amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“We’ve never seen numbers like this, in such a short period of time,” Dr. Mike deBoisblanc, head of trauma at John Muir Medical Center, told local station ABC7. “I mean, we’ve seen a year’s worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks.” He added that he thinks “it’s time” to end the state shutdown.

The article is based on one doctor's testimonial.  There's no data at all.  One person squashed by a UFO landing on his head would also be 'unprecedented'.  What kind of numbers are we talking about here?

Prior to COVID-19, there were more auto-accident fatalities than suicides in the US.  I imagine that relationship has flipped and will revert when things open up again.

I wouldn't be surprised if the experience in that one hospital is fairly consistent in a lot of other places. And it's not just suicides, but there's been growing evidence of collateral damage in a lot of other areas in public health.

Here are a few other examples:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/18/nation/major-boston-hospital-finds-dramatic-drop-stroke-heart-attack-cancer-patients-during-coronavirus-pandemic/

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/22/who-routine-childhood-vaccinations-disrupted-coronavirus/?utm_content=buffer1f412&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter_organic

vikx01

« Reply #5713 on: May 22, 2020, 08:32:56 AM »

Hydroxychloroquine isn't the wonder drug for covid-19 after all.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5714 on: May 22, 2020, 08:38:02 AM »
The authors believe that HCQ helps zinc absorb

I read the article to mean that they are putting that out there as a hypothetical possiblity, but there is nothing in the article about a belief.

Look at the wording:

He also suggested that hydroxychloroquine could serve as an agent that transports the zinc into the cells. It could also increase the effectiveness of zinc, he says.

It isn't what they believe, at least not according to the sentence as written. 

Rather, it could do this... (or it could do that).

The article also says:

"Rahimian said that their next approach would be to do a prospective study to see if the research holds up in people receiving zinc. "

So they are going to do what I suggested -- find out whether zinc by itself is even better.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:54:49 AM by ERICOPOLY »

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5715 on: May 22, 2020, 08:41:48 AM »
For those that think governments should require masks in order to "save lives," do you also think the government should ban abortions to "save lives?"

If not, why do you believe in "my body, my choice" for for one and not the other? The death rate on abortion (for the aborted humans) is far, far higher than the death rate from covid19.
Paul

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5716 on: May 22, 2020, 08:44:05 AM »
For those that think governments should require masks in order to "save lives," do you also think the government should ban abortions to "save lives?"

If not, why do you believe in "my body, my choice" for for one and not the other? The death rate on abortion (for the aborted humans) is far, far higher than the death rate from covid19.

LOL.  How about ban cars?  Why abortions?  The ultimate political hijacking thwarted (I hope).

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5717 on: May 22, 2020, 08:52:29 AM »

LOL.  How about ban cars?  Why abortions?  The ultimate political hijacking thwarted (I hope).

Covid 19 has killed more than cars. Abortion has killed more than covid19.

Keep in mind, my argument isn't just saving lives, it's also about what the government say we can (or cannot do) to our bodies.  Why is it okay to use the slogan only when it benefits your political ideology?

Paul

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5718 on: May 22, 2020, 08:56:24 AM »

Start an abortion thread in politics. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:58:41 AM by ERICOPOLY »

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5719 on: May 22, 2020, 09:00:17 AM »

Start an abortion thread in politics.

haha. fair enough. ;)
Paul