Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 793951 times)

cwericb

• Lifetime Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7890 on: October 16, 2020, 06:42:42 AM »
Interesting. Lets go back and read Feb/March/April again...when people where trying to have investment related discussions and the covid experts drowned everything out crying about Trump....

I looked. And there is almost no criticism of Trump in Feb/March. He is the President of the United States. He's going to get criticism (even if he did everything right). But blatant Trump-bashing was exceptionally rare on this thread. My guess is that you are recalling conversations from other threads.

No need to bash Trump, the man is fully capable of speaking for himself this subject:

“Just the other day, they came out with a statement that 85% of the people that wear masks catch it”

“A lot of people say masks are not good, I’ll tell you who those people are, waiters.” 

"If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, if any'
Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. - Mark Twain

Gregmal

« Reply #7891 on: October 16, 2020, 07:34:01 AM »
Interesting. Lets go back and read Feb/March/April again...when people where trying to have investment related discussions and the covid experts drowned everything out crying about Trump....

I looked. And there is almost no criticism of Trump in Feb/March. He is the President of the United States. He's going to get criticism (even if he did everything right). But blatant Trump-bashing was exceptionally rare on this thread. My guess is that you are recalling conversations from other threads.

No need to bash Trump, the man is fully capable of speaking for himself this subject:

“Just the other day, they came out with a statement that 85% of the people that wear masks catch it”

“A lot of people say masks are not good, I’ll tell you who those people are, waiters.” 

When the overwhelming majority of people who test positive dont even know they have it or experience symptoms in line with seasonal allergies....then yea, it gets to a point where creating boogeymen isn't really productive. Especially when all those nothing burgers get translated into "OMG look at all the people testing positive!" across newsfeeds everywhere. A lot of people had breakfast this morning. Some didnt. Some might have choked on their food and experienced discomfort....But we dont attach negative superpowers to breakfast, nor do many people scream "AGH!" when they hear/see the word.

Investor20

« Reply #7892 on: October 16, 2020, 07:37:37 AM »

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6936a5-H.pdf

Please check page 1261 - table at top of page  for

"Reported use of cloth face covering or mask 14 days before illness onset"

Mask use for Covid Positive group:       Often: 14.4%; Always 70.6%  (Total of Often + Always use of mask 85%)
Mask use for control (negative) group: Often: 14.5%; Always 74.2%  (Total of Often + Always use of mask 88.7%)

cwericb

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7893 on: October 16, 2020, 09:30:15 AM »

Mask use for Covid Positive group:       Often: 14.4%; Always 70.6%  (Total of Often + Always use of mask 85%)
Mask use for control (negative) group: Often: 14.5%; Always 74.2%  (Total of Often + Always use of mask 88.7%)

I know what the numbers were for a tiny study of 150 people.

But that study does not indicate that "that 85% of the people that wear masks catch it" [Covid-19].
Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. - Mark Twain

frank87

« Reply #7894 on: October 16, 2020, 12:33:25 PM »
So across Europe where cases have been rising, positivity rates among the old have remained low whereas those of younger age groups have shot up which in my view shows that the more vulnerable are shielding themselves while the less vulnerable are going back to more normal lives. Despite the vitriolic mainstream reaction to the Great Barrington Declaration, society is more or less going that route anyway.

muscleman

« Reply #7895 on: October 16, 2020, 05:13:53 PM »

But that study does not indicate that "that 85% of the people that wear masks catch it" [Covid-19].

People who wear masks got a large amount of virus on the outside of the mask. When they take it down later, their figures are full of virus. So it wouldn't be surprised that they get infected from that later.
This doesn't mean masks are useless though. It just means that people need to learn how to do it properly.
In case you guys still care about the market instead of just trolling Trump.... I think the fact that COVID cases are going up again is quite bullish for the market, but it is possible to have continued sideways actions for 2 more weeks before I am comfortable raising my exposure from 40% to 90%.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 05:15:59 PM by muscleman »
I am muslceman. I have more muscle than brain!

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7896 on: October 16, 2020, 06:16:49 PM »

I had assumed he meant that 85% of the people who got covid said they were wearing masks?
Paul

KCLarkin

« Reply #7897 on: October 16, 2020, 06:22:11 PM »
Masks are source control.

Investor20

« Reply #7898 on: October 17, 2020, 02:24:19 AM »

CDC Director Dr. Redfield said

"I might even go so far as to say that this face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against Covid than when I take a Covid vaccine, because the immunogenicity may be 70 percent. And if I don’t get an immune response, the vaccine is not going to protect me. This face mask will. "

KCLarkin

« Reply #7899 on: October 17, 2020, 06:11:16 AM »

CDC Director Dr. Redfield said

"I might even go so far as to say that this face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against Covid than when I take a Covid vaccine, because the immunogenicity may be 70 percent. And if I don’t get an immune response, the vaccine is not going to protect me. This face mask will. "

There is evidence that masks offer protection, but they are primarily source control. If you are wearing a mask, even a medical one, you can still get Virus through your eyes or fomites or improper donning/doffing.

Redfield’s comment is not inline with CDC guidance, which is mostly directed at source control.