Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 934008 times)

cwericb

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1955
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7890 on: October 16, 2020, 09:30:15 AM »
Interesting. Lets go back and read Feb/March/April again...when people where trying to have investment related discussions and the covid experts drowned everything out crying about Trump....

I looked. And there is almost no criticism of Trump in Feb/March. He is the President of the United States. He's going to get criticism (even if he did everything right). But blatant Trump-bashing was exceptionally rare on this thread. My guess is that you are recalling conversations from other threads.

No need to bash Trump, the man is fully capable of speaking for himself this subject:

“Just the other day, they came out with a statement that 85% of the people that wear masks catch it”

“A lot of people say masks are not good, I’ll tell you who those people are, waiters.” 

"If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, if any'

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6936a5-H.pdf

Please check page 1261 - table at top of page  for

"Reported use of cloth face covering or mask 14 days before illness onset"

Mask use for Covid Positive group:       Often: 14.4%; Always 70.6%  (Total of Often + Always use of mask 85%)
Mask use for control (negative) group: Often: 14.5%; Always 74.2%  (Total of Often + Always use of mask 88.7%)

I know what the numbers were for a tiny study of 150 people.

But that study does not indicate that "that 85% of the people that wear masks catch it" [Covid-19].
Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. - Mark Twain


frank87

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 358
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7891 on: October 16, 2020, 12:33:25 PM »
So across Europe where cases have been rising, positivity rates among the old have remained low whereas those of younger age groups have shot up which in my view shows that the more vulnerable are shielding themselves while the less vulnerable are going back to more normal lives. Despite the vitriolic mainstream reaction to the Great Barrington Declaration, society is more or less going that route anyway.

muscleman

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3555
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7892 on: October 16, 2020, 05:13:53 PM »
Interesting. Lets go back and read Feb/March/April again...when people where trying to have investment related discussions and the covid experts drowned everything out crying about Trump....

I looked. And there is almost no criticism of Trump in Feb/March. He is the President of the United States. He's going to get criticism (even if he did everything right). But blatant Trump-bashing was exceptionally rare on this thread. My guess is that you are recalling conversations from other threads.

No need to bash Trump, the man is fully capable of speaking for himself this subject:

“Just the other day, they came out with a statement that 85% of the people that wear masks catch it”

“A lot of people say masks are not good, I’ll tell you who those people are, waiters.” 

"If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, if any'

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6936a5-H.pdf

Please check page 1261 - table at top of page  for

"Reported use of cloth face covering or mask 14 days before illness onset"

Mask use for Covid Positive group:       Often: 14.4%; Always 70.6%  (Total of Often + Always use of mask 85%)
Mask use for control (negative) group: Often: 14.5%; Always 74.2%  (Total of Often + Always use of mask 88.7%)

I know what the numbers were for a tiny study of 150 people.

But that study does not indicate that "that 85% of the people that wear masks catch it" [Covid-19].

People who wear masks got a large amount of virus on the outside of the mask. When they take it down later, their figures are full of virus. So it wouldn't be surprised that they get infected from that later.
This doesn't mean masks are useless though. It just means that people need to learn how to do it properly.
In case you guys still care about the market instead of just trolling Trump.... I think the fact that COVID cases are going up again is quite bullish for the market, but it is possible to have continued sideways actions for 2 more weeks before I am comfortable raising my exposure from 40% to 90%.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 05:15:59 PM by muscleman »
I am muslceman. I have more muscle than brain!

stahleyp

  • Lifetime Member
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4327
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7893 on: October 16, 2020, 06:16:49 PM »
Interesting. Lets go back and read Feb/March/April again...when people where trying to have investment related discussions and the covid experts drowned everything out crying about Trump....

I looked. And there is almost no criticism of Trump in Feb/March. He is the President of the United States. He's going to get criticism (even if he did everything right). But blatant Trump-bashing was exceptionally rare on this thread. My guess is that you are recalling conversations from other threads.

No need to bash Trump, the man is fully capable of speaking for himself this subject:

“Just the other day, they came out with a statement that 85% of the people that wear masks catch it”

“A lot of people say masks are not good, I’ll tell you who those people are, waiters.” 

"If we stop testing right now, we'd have very few cases, if any'

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6936a5-H.pdf

Please check page 1261 - table at top of page  for

"Reported use of cloth face covering or mask 14 days before illness onset"

Mask use for Covid Positive group:       Often: 14.4%; Always 70.6%  (Total of Often + Always use of mask 85%)
Mask use for control (negative) group: Often: 14.5%; Always 74.2%  (Total of Often + Always use of mask 88.7%)

I know what the numbers were for a tiny study of 150 people.

But that study does not indicate that "that 85% of the people that wear masks catch it" [Covid-19].

I had assumed he meant that 85% of the people who got covid said they were wearing masks?
Paul

KCLarkin

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1981
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7894 on: October 16, 2020, 06:22:11 PM »
Masks are source control.

Investor20

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 463
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7895 on: October 17, 2020, 02:24:19 AM »
Masks are source control.

CDC Director Dr. Redfield said

"I might even go so far as to say that this face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against Covid than when I take a Covid vaccine, because the immunogenicity may be 70 percent. And if I don’t get an immune response, the vaccine is not going to protect me. This face mask will. "

KCLarkin

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1981
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7896 on: October 17, 2020, 06:11:16 AM »
Masks are source control.

CDC Director Dr. Redfield said

"I might even go so far as to say that this face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against Covid than when I take a Covid vaccine, because the immunogenicity may be 70 percent. And if I don’t get an immune response, the vaccine is not going to protect me. This face mask will. "

There is evidence that masks offer protection, but they are primarily source control. If you are wearing a mask, even a medical one, you can still get Virus through your eyes or fomites or improper donning/doffing.

Redfield’s comment is not inline with CDC guidance, which is mostly directed at source control.

Gregmal

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5971
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7897 on: October 17, 2020, 04:41:22 PM »
More interesting narrative


Headline:  FLORIDA COACH WHO CALLED TO PACK STADIUM TESTS POSITIVE FOR COVID

footnote: Mullen, his family, and every UF player whom has tested positive is described as experiencing either "mild, or no symptoms"...carry on!

clutch

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7898 on: October 17, 2020, 08:09:38 PM »
I'm watching the baseball game and something that really bothers me...

Some of the players and coaches are wearing masks in the dugout. Then, they pull down their masks from time to time and SPIT on their dugout ground lol.

I know these players are tested every day and they are probably safe to do whatever... but then why wear the masks at all? If you are going to keep pulling them down and spit everywhere? Is it again just a political statement?

JRM

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 654
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7899 on: October 18, 2020, 05:57:24 AM »
I'm watching the baseball game and something that really bothers me...

Some of the players and coaches are wearing masks in the dugout. Then, they pull down their masks from time to time and SPIT on their dugout ground lol.

I know these players are tested every day and they are probably safe to do whatever... but then why wear the masks at all? If you are going to keep pulling them down and spit everywhere? Is it again just a political statement?

I think the mask wearing at baseball and football games is more about signaling than about actually protecting anybody.  Dusty Baker had his mask just covering his nose for the entire post season so he could chew on his tooth pick.