Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 798048 times)

Gregmal

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7900 on: October 17, 2020, 04:41:22 PM »
More interesting narrative

Headline:  FLORIDA COACH WHO CALLED TO PACK STADIUM TESTS POSITIVE FOR COVID

footnote: Mullen, his family, and every UF player whom has tested positive is described as experiencing either "mild, or no symptoms"...carry on!

clutch

« Reply #7901 on: October 17, 2020, 08:09:38 PM »
I'm watching the baseball game and something that really bothers me...

Some of the players and coaches are wearing masks in the dugout. Then, they pull down their masks from time to time and SPIT on their dugout ground lol.

I know these players are tested every day and they are probably safe to do whatever... but then why wear the masks at all? If you are going to keep pulling them down and spit everywhere? Is it again just a political statement?

JRM

« Reply #7902 on: October 18, 2020, 05:57:24 AM »
I'm watching the baseball game and something that really bothers me...

Some of the players and coaches are wearing masks in the dugout. Then, they pull down their masks from time to time and SPIT on their dugout ground lol.

I know these players are tested every day and they are probably safe to do whatever... but then why wear the masks at all? If you are going to keep pulling them down and spit everywhere? Is it again just a political statement?

I think the mask wearing at baseball and football games is more about signaling than about actually protecting anybody.  Dusty Baker had his mask just covering his nose for the entire post season so he could chew on his tooth pick.

Cigarbutt

« Reply #7903 on: October 18, 2020, 07:58:33 AM »
^An aspect (positive or negative) of mask wearing is related to signaling. But what is the signal?

My softball season has been modified (delayed, some new rules etc) and the risk-reward disease aspect has been efficiently integrated. Players don't wear masks and continue to spit. An interesting change is that the home base umpire (umpire typically have risk factors for covid) now stands behind the fence, at a reasonable distance. The catcher continues to wear a mask and this is not seen as a sign of weakness or control, at least for the very large majority.

Community mask use in North America has increased significantly during 2020 and there has been some convergence in use concerning differentiation factors (ideological affiliation, education, age, urban vs rural etc).

i continue to have doubts about masks under various scenarios but have no problems with public mandates. The risk-reward related to the inconvenience and very low cost seems to be a no-brainer. However, i've noticed that people who refuse to wear masks for ideological reasons tend to (correlation) wear a virtual one in front of their eyes when uncomfortable objective data is presented.

JRM

« Reply #7904 on: October 18, 2020, 08:39:04 AM »
Cigarbutt, I agree.  I'm not an anti-masker.  I just think it's silly when somebody is talking into a camera, and there is clearly nobody else nearby, and they're wearing a mask.  My town has had a mask mandate, and there has been drastically less cases in my city compared to other cities in the state.  There was a mild outbreak when college students came back.  Then the university implemented a mask mandate, and cases started trending down again.  Very anecdotal, but it seems to work.

clutch

« Reply #7905 on: October 18, 2020, 07:41:32 PM »
If they want to signal things, they should be signaling the correct use of masks.

Then there is Biden who pulled down his mask to cough into his hands. (Don't take this as political bashing, just venting about fake virtue signaling)

https://twitter.com/drdavidsamadi/status/1314888798489190403?s=20

Cigarbutt

« Reply #7906 on: October 18, 2020, 08:20:57 PM »
If they want to signal things, they should be signaling the correct use of masks.
Then there is Biden who pulled down his mask to cough into his hands. (Don't take this as political bashing, just venting about fake virtue signaling)
When observing people wearing masks, the frequency of technical errors is quite high. One has to wonder if that's related to distraction or habit. Pretending to believe in masks may play a role.
Early on in the pandemic, there was this video that is interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL9ru777zBI
@clutch
i can't resist to mention that, by denouncing fake virtue signaling, you are, by definition, virtue signaling yourself.  :)
On this topic, can we say masks are filters and call it a day?

Investor20

« Reply #7907 on: October 18, 2020, 09:19:51 PM »
https://www.who.int/influenza/publications/public_health_measures/publication/en/
G  L  O  B  A  L     I  N  F  L  U  E  N  Z  A     P  R  O  G  R  A  M  M  E
Non-pharmaceuticalpublic health measures for mitigating the risk and impact of epidemic and pandemic influenza
You have to download the PDF document.

Quoting from this document: (NPI: Non pharmaceutical intervention)

Page 2:

"There have been a number of high-quality randomized controlled trials (RCTs) demonstrating that personal protective measures such as hand hygiene and face masks have, at best, a small effect on influenza transmission, although higher compliance in a severe pandemic might improve effectiveness."
Page 26
OVERALL RESULT OF EVIDENCE ON FACE MASKS: Ten RCTs were included in the meta-analysis, and there was no evidence that face masks are effective in reducing transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.

clutch

« Reply #7908 on: October 19, 2020, 04:42:55 AM »
When observing people wearing masks, the frequency of technical errors is quite high. One has to wonder if that's related to distraction or habit. Pretending to believe in masks may play a role.
Early on in the pandemic, there was this video that is interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL9ru777zBI
@clutch
i can't resist to mention that, by denouncing fake virtue signaling, you are, by definition, virtue signaling yourself.  :)
On this topic, can we say masks are filters and call it a day?

Lol I guess we can't resist virtue signaling one way or the other. I'm also all for wearing masks as much as possible BTW.

KCLarkin

« Reply #7909 on: October 19, 2020, 07:55:33 AM »
"There have been a number of high-quality randomized controlled trials (RCTs) demonstrating that personal protective measures such as hand hygiene and face masks have, at best, a small effect on influenza transmission, although higher compliance in a severe pandemic might improve effectiveness."

The problem with the old, pre-Covid RCTs is compliance. You can give masks to kids in a dorm, but they are unlikely to wear them if the risk is small (e.g. seasonal flu) and there is no culture of mask wearing.

But when compliance is high, evidence suggests they are effective. One of the referenced studies:

In 154 households in which interventions were implemented within 36 hours of symptom onset in the index patient, transmission of RT-PCR-confirmed infection seemed reduced, an effect attributable to fewer infections among participants using facemasks plus hand hygiene (adjusted odds ratio, 0.33 [95% CI, 0.13 to 0.87]).