Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 997311 times)

Investor20

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #8230 on: November 24, 2020, 07:24:06 PM »
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/american-billionaires-increased-wealth-845-183000701.html

American Billionaires Have Increased Their Wealth by $845 Billion Since the Pandemic Hit

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-food-banks-thanksgiving-poverty-b1761426.html

Americans join miles-long queues at food banks across the US as thousands face hunger during pandemic

Cigarbutt

« Reply #8231 on: November 25, 2020, 06:35:45 AM »
Thoughts on herd immunity
This post is for analytical purposes and political aspects have been cured. The link to investments are: learning from mistakes and using a side-by-side-template approach described by Mr. Ben Graham to compare investments over time. My life is essentially a series of mistakes and subsequent studies of them and Mr. Graham's teaching is an example of an investment mantra based on survival from mistakes.

It seems the US is reaching functional herd immunity with the present set of heterogenous restrictions in place. The Swedish case is interesting. They just released population antibody prevalence results with trends indicating that natural and 'pure' herd immunity is not in sight with antibody levels around one third. And they are, at this point, 'adjusting' restrictions.
https://www.dn.se/sthlm/var-tredje-testad-stockholmare-har-antikroppar/
It has become fairly clear that their relatively different strategy has required a higher health-related cost for a very similar economic cost and they have recognized this to a large degree. They also adjusted along the way in order to improve. Even if the net outcome is relatively inferior, one aspect of their approach was sustainability. Compare to the Czech Republic.

Sweden              Czech
population (M)                                           10.3                  10.7
GDP per capita (k)                                     51.4                  23.1
Covid-19 deaths  (k per 100k)                    65.6                  75.0     
European ranking*                                      #7                    #6
*ranking in the race for Covid-19 deaths per capita in EEA + UK

Czech entered the race in good shape and (personal opinion) some of this was due to luck but it has entered a phase which will make it a clear winner. i would bet the GDP per capita differential will persist and perhaps even widen.
See attached file for a visual.
Some countries have followed a path to herd immunity at various levels of warp speed.
For those who believe that a virus is a spreading disease with real consequences and who appreciate visual effects, the following is interesting:
https://player.vimeo.com/video/466625351
Some people have started to retroactively look into this (ie the Sturgis motorcycle event, various rallies etc) and the potential conclusions are absolutely and relatively fascinating.

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8232 on: November 25, 2020, 07:20:01 AM »
I have covid-19 and tested 'negative', and so much for "common symptoms".

Thursday, November 19th:
Last Thursday morning, my wife and I noticed that we both had very mild sore throats and slight headaches, with no other symptoms except my wife had swollen lymph nodes in her arm pits (one of which was very tender) and she has never experienced that before.  We may have ignored the symptoms had  it not been for the fact that we were both experiencing the throat irritation and headaches at the same time.

We drove to the Roseville (California) Med7 and joined the line to be tested and waited for 5 hours before having both nostrils swabbed (ouch! ouch!).  While waiting in line I had a brief tingling in my lips and when that went away my fingertips began tingling, but that ended soon as well. 

We both fall asleep earlier than usual.

Saturday, November 21st:
On Saturday I was called and told that I had a "negative" test result.  Our symptoms were basically the same as Thursday but we fall asleep earlier than usual.

Sunday, November 22nd:
The next day, Sunday, my wife was called and told that she was "positive".  The reason for the extra delay for her phone call is that it takes special training to break the news and those people were busy on Saturday (are you fucking kidding me???) 

Up until this point, we had mild headaches that came and went and very slightly sore throats.  No fevers, no coughing, and no loss of taste or smell.  Although my wife is complaining of abdominal pain.

Monday, November 23nd:
Very early in the morning it became more difficult to breath for both of us, remedied by turning over on our stomachs in bed.  We went for a walk in the afternoon and that was a mistake -- a slight uphill and we had to take a break halfway up it.  Otherwise, still no fever or cough, no loss of taste/smell. 

I was tested again at 4pm because I want a documented 'positive' result in the event that I should need a hospital.

We fall asleep earlier than usual.

Tuesday (November 24th))
Our lungs were both a bit worse, it was getting harder to breath but nothing too scary (like having books stacked on you chest).  My energy was returning last night but my wife was feeling more tired and she was reporting the worst headache she's ever had.  She received antibiotics for her abdominal pain (to treat a suspected UTI).

Wednesday (today):
this morning my breathing is significantly better, almost normal.  No other symptoms aside from a slightly scratchy throat.

How did we get this?
My wife's 17 yr old son has been staying with us as well for the past 10 days and he has symptoms too, complaining mostly of exhaustion (but no fever and no loss of taste/smell).  He told us he had a sore throat and cough before last Thursday, but we've never heard him cough and my wife says he's a hypochondriac. 

I forgot to mention we've had some strange olfactory disturbances.  Last Thursday, I smelled ammonia in the household and my wife from time to time says the place smells like cigarettes.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 07:23:06 AM by ERICOPOLY »

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • libertyrpf.com
    • http://www.libertyrpf.com

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • libertyrpf.com
    • http://www.libertyrpf.com
« Reply #8235 on: November 25, 2020, 09:20:04 AM »

Thursday, November 19th:
Last Thursday morning, my wife and I noticed that we both had very mild sore throats and slight headaches, with no other symptoms except my wife had swollen lymph nodes in her arm pits (one of which was very tender) and she has never experienced that before.  We may have ignored the symptoms had  it not been for the fact that we were both experiencing the throat irritation and headaches at the same time.

We drove to the Roseville (California) Med7 and joined the line to be tested and waited for 5 hours before having both nostrils swabbed (ouch! ouch!).  While waiting in line I had a brief tingling in my lips and when that went away my fingertips began tingling, but that ended soon as well. 

Saturday, November 21st:
On Saturday I was called and told that I had a "negative" test result.  Our symptoms were basically the same as Thursday but we fall asleep earlier than usual.

Sunday, November 22nd:
The next day, Sunday, my wife was called and told that she was "positive".  The reason for the extra delay for her phone call is that it takes special training to break the news and those people were busy on Saturday (are you fucking kidding me???) 

Up until this point, we had mild headaches that came and went and very slightly sore throats.  No fevers, no coughing, and no loss of taste or smell.  Although my wife is complaining of abdominal pain.

Monday, November 23nd:
Very early in the morning it became more difficult to breath for both of us, remedied by turning over on our stomachs in bed.  We went for a walk in the afternoon and that was a mistake -- a slight uphill and we had to take a break halfway up it.  Otherwise, still no fever or cough, no loss of taste/smell. 

I was tested again at 4pm because I want a documented 'positive' result in the event that I should need a hospital.

Tuesday (November 24th))
Our lungs were both a bit worse, it was getting harder to breath but nothing too scary (like having books stacked on you chest).  My energy was returning last night but my wife was feeling more tired and she was reporting the worst headache she's ever had.  She received antibiotics for her abdominal pain (to treat a suspected UTI).

Wednesday (today):
this morning my breathing is significantly better, almost normal.  No other symptoms aside from a slightly scratchy throat.

How did we get this?
My wife's 17 yr old son has been staying with us as well for the past 10 days and he has symptoms too, complaining mostly of exhaustion (but no fever and no loss of taste/smell).  He told us he had a sore throat and cough before last Thursday, but we've never heard him cough and my wife says he's a hypochondriac. 

I forgot to mention we've had some strange olfactory disturbances.  Last Thursday, I smelled ammonia in the household and my wife from time to time says the place smells like cigarettes.

Thanks for sharing. Hope you all feel fully better soon!

frank87

« Reply #8236 on: November 25, 2020, 12:44:50 PM »

Thursday, November 19th:

Saturday, November 21st:

Sunday, November 22nd:

Monday, November 23nd:

Tuesday (November 24th))

Wednesday (today):

How did we get this?

Good to hear you're feeling better. Were there any differences between how you felt with this versus previous experiences with the cold or flu?

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8237 on: November 25, 2020, 02:19:45 PM »

Thursday, November 19th:

Saturday, November 21st:

Sunday, November 22nd:

Monday, November 23nd:

Tuesday (November 24th))

Wednesday (today):

How did we get this?

Good to hear you're feeling better. Were there any differences between how you felt with this versus previous experiences with the cold or flu?

Well, I don't have the vomiting, diarrhea, and fever that makes flu so terribly unpleasant.

Like a cold, I have a mild headache.  But I don't have the congestion associated with it.  I'm not coughing or sneezing.

The only thing about covid-19 (so far) which really stands out was the tightness in my chest and heavier breathing, and getting tired very easily from exertion.  But that's mostly gone now.

cwericb

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8238 on: November 25, 2020, 02:34:28 PM »
Certainly hope you don't have any lingering effects. Keep us posted.
Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. - Mark Twain

Spekulatius

« Reply #8239 on: November 26, 2020, 08:56:02 AM »
Talked with my Mom today (she lives in Germany) and they are putting in several  vaccinations  location for COVID-19 vaccinations in her town. Vaccination to start in mid December. The vaccinations centers will work in 2 shifts.
 To roll out mass vaccinations as quickly as possible. Health care workers and first responders come first.
https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-digest-germany-may-start-vaccinating-in-december/a-55696560

I wish I had a better feeling about rollout plans in the US. This should be front center and focus, imo.

@Eric - thank you for sharing your episode and glad you and your family are OK. Do you have any idea how your stepson get infected?
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.