Author Topic: FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.  (Read 4982135 times)

Luke 5:32

Re: FNMA and FMCC preferreds. In search of the elusive 10 bagger.
« Reply #15900 on: September 08, 2020, 08:19:14 PM »
Attached is the full opinion...
"Way maker, miracle worker, promise keeper..."  God is a promise keeper. You can rest in the hope and assurance that He is true to His word.  But it is also a warning that He will keep His promises to those that choose a life of unrepentant sin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCpbeVFgs4E

WB_fan82

« Reply #15901 on: September 09, 2020, 06:28:36 AM »
The opinion doesn't seem that negative.  He just found distinguishing the director as "acting" was the key pivotal point.  Some of the dissenting Collins judges also raised this issue, iirc.

Why is the judge wrong?  Seemed to me like he made a good case.

You don't have to read the whole opinion -- just that part.

cherzeca

« Reply #15902 on: September 09, 2020, 06:31:13 AM »
the Rop district court opinion is instructive only since it lays out the pathway for FHFA (and the amicus arguing in place of DOJ) to argue that Seila should not apply to collins...because Demarco was an acting director when he signed NWS, and while it is clear that the director can only be removed for cause, HERA does not have a specific removal for the acting director...who stays under HERA until he vacates himself or is replaced by a potus nominated and senate confirmed new director.  but HERA makes clear that FHFA is an independent agency, so that in the context of the entire statute, it is absurd to believe that for an independent agency whose director can only be removed for cause, the acting director can be removed at will where there is no specific removal standard in the subclause relating to the acting director...and where Ps argued that if anything the statutory language would indicate that the acting director cannot be removed period, with or without cause, since his tenure lasts until a successor has been nominated and confirmed. see in particular n.9 to p. 45 of Rop opinion.  collins dealt with this argument and judge willetts answered it in the en banc opinion...see p. 48 of the collins en banc opinion.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 06:37:35 AM by cherzeca »

onyx1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15903 on: September 09, 2020, 02:01:41 PM »
I'm not sure what to make of this, but Trump just added two 5th circuit Judges to his SCOTUS short list, Judge Duncan & Judge Ho.  Some may remember that despite the two disagreeing on remedies,  both joined Judge Willett's opinion that the FHFA is unconstitutional and the FHFA exceeded its authority in executing the NWS.

muscleman

« Reply #15904 on: September 09, 2020, 04:27:15 PM »
I'm not sure what to make of this, but Trump just added two 5th circuit Judges to his SCOTUS short list, Judge Duncan & Judge Ho.  Some may remember that despite the two disagreeing on remedies,  both joined Judge Willett's opinion that the FHFA is unconstitutional and the FHFA exceeded its authority in executing the NWS.

That probably means they are the conservative judges who don't bend the law backwards to fit their views.
Trump's nomination may be based on review of a lot of cases by these judges rather than just the NWS alone.
I am muslceman. I have more muscle than brain!

cherzeca

« Reply #15905 on: September 09, 2020, 04:33:29 PM »
Ho is great, very conservative (former Gibson Dunn partner, know him a little). Duncan also good.  could have added Willett too and a few others though some are older.  this list doesn't mean much 

edit.  trump also said prior list of 25 is still good...now 24 with Kavanaugh appointed.  Willett one of those 24  https://ballotpedia.org/Complete_list_of_Donald_Trump%27s_potential_nominees_to_the_U.S._Supreme_Court
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 04:39:18 PM by cherzeca »

orthopa

« Reply #15906 on: September 10, 2020, 01:04:02 PM »
First public listening session was today. Anyone speak or listen? I looked but couldnt find a link any where to listen when I looked briefly this am.

investorG

« Reply #15907 on: September 10, 2020, 03:43:49 PM »
First public listening session was today. Anyone speak or listen? I looked but couldnt find a link any where to listen when I looked briefly this am.

Next Wednesday should be interesting at the House FS committee.

Maybe some one can get through to Mr. Calabria that padding bank mkt share and interest spread profits on the back of lower / middle income Americans by setting capital levels @ 6x his own adverse stress test levels is not the preferred policy.

Midas79

« Reply #15908 on: September 10, 2020, 04:21:19 PM »

Maybe some one can get through to Mr. Calabria that padding bank mkt share and interest spread profits on the back of lower / middle income Americans by setting capital levels @ 6x his own adverse stress test levels is not the preferred policy.

Today's session wasn't all that informative. I didn't catch the whole thing, but it seemed to me to be mostly a rehash of what was in the comment letters. This might have been FHFA's token effort to "extend" the comment period by allowing the talkers to feel like they are being heard. I'm not expecting much from next Monday's session either, though I will still listen.

I am far more interested in what Calabria says, so I agree that his hearing should be interesting and I plan to listen to every second of his part of it.

cherzeca

« Reply #15909 on: September 10, 2020, 04:31:46 PM »

Today's session wasn't all that informative. I didn't catch the whole thing, but it seemed to me to be mostly a rehash of what was in the comment letters. This might have been FHFA's token effort to "extend" the comment period by allowing the talkers to feel like they are being heard. I'm not expecting much from next Monday's session either, though I will still listen.

I am far more interested in what Calabria says, so I agree that his hearing should be interesting and I plan to listen to every second of his part of it.

thanks Midas. I will try to make the low income call, but speaker lineup doesn't look that interesting...Pinto doesn't deserve 10 minutes to discuss low income housing.  I agree Mad Max's committee hearing should be fun