Free information services for foreign stocks?

matjone

Obviously you can go straight to a primary source like the company website or an exchange or regulator, but I am looking for a service that compiles 10 year (or longer) of financial statements in an easy to read format, like morningstar used to do.  A good stock screener would also be nice.

I'd also like to share this site for those of you who aren't aware of it (I'm not affiliated with it).  It has good coverage for the u.s. and canada but lacks coverage for foreign stocks without adr's or otc listings.

https://quickfs.net/

Hey, thanks for the shoutout! I'm a longtime lurker of this forum and I'm glad that you've found QuickFS to be useful.

With regards to foreign (non-U.S.) exchanges, we're constantly experimenting with adding new ones. For instance, you can find many Australian Stock Exchange stocks on our website, even though we don't officially support ASX stocks. We do officially support Canadian stocks, so please let me know if we're missing any. Otherwise, we're open to suggestions for which exchange(s) to include in our coverage next. 

I still like the Morningstar key ratios page (example) for a first look. However their site revamp was terrible. The new way they present financials is basically unreadable. I still use it though for a quick peek; the next step being the original filings.

Kajinet is nice for Japan indeed.

rocketfinancial.com has good historical financials for US companies. And it is free. You do need an account though. If somebody has something similar (and free) for international stocks that would be greatly appreciated. I am not aware of such a thing.

I still like the Morningstar key ratios page (example) for a first look. However their site revamp was terrible. The new way they present financials is basically unreadable. I still use it though for a quick peek; the next step being the original filings.

I absolutely agree. In fact, I sent an email to Morningstar complaining about the new financials format, and the response I got was essentially that "we think you will like it once you get used to it." Ugh.

Also agree about Morningstar. They basically destroyed it and it's pretty much unusable for me now.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think Yahoo Finance is the best free source for financials right now. You get five years of data and it's generally accurate. Most important for me is that they cover most international markets. If you're only looking at US and Canadian companies there are probably better alternatives. For free data about most international markets, Yahoo seems to be the only option.

Morningstar: I checked it out on a browser where I am not logged in. What is the issue for you guys? You realize that you can click on "Income Statement", "Balance Sheet", "Cash Flow" and you get all the details for the last 5 years the same way you did before?

The only thing I see is that there's no 10 year data, but it says that this is Premium account only.

Are you unhappy that you cannot select the data and copy/paste it into Excel/etc? But they have "Export to Excel" button.

So I guess I'm really confused about what people are unhappy about. The only difference I see is the font and I could quibble about the old font size being more readable across 10 years of data, but it's not a big deal.

I still have old interface through Boston Public Library Morningstar access, but likely that's gonna change at some point too.

Morningstar: I checked it out on a browser where I am not logged in. What is the issue for you guys? You realize that you can click on "Income Statement", "Balance Sheet", "Cash Flow" and you get all the details for the last 5 years the same way you did before?

The only thing I see is that there's no 10 year data, but it says that this is Premium account only.

Are you unhappy that you cannot select the data and copy/paste it into Excel/etc? But they have "Export to Excel" button.

So I guess I'm really confused about what people are unhappy about. The only difference I see is the font and I could quibble about the old font size being more readable across 10 years of data, but it's not a big deal.

I still have old interface through Boston Public Library Morningstar access, but likely that's gonna change at some point too.

I'm on a desktop. The data can not be viewed properly without having to scroll through every page and having to collapse multiple items in the income statement, balance sheet and cash flow screens. It's completely cluttered. For example: I'm not interested in seeing how much of inventory consists of "raw materials", "work in process", "other", or "finished goods" when I'm looking for a quick snapshot of a company's financials. Of course, none of the things you deselect on a page are remembered by the site, so you have to go through this for every single company you look at. This redesign was clearly done by people who never actually use the site on a daily basis.

I'm on a desktop. The data can not be viewed properly without having to scroll through every page and having to collapse multiple items in the income statement, balance sheet and cash flow screens. It's completely cluttered. For example: I'm not interested in seeing how much of inventory consists of "raw materials", "work in process", "other", or "finished goods" when I'm looking for a quick snapshot of a company's financials. Of course, none of the things you deselect on a page are remembered by the site, so you have to go through this for every single company you look at. This redesign was clearly done by people who never actually use the site on a daily basis.

I see. This does not bother me much, but I see what you mean. You can zoom out to get smaller font or set up a monitor in portrait mode. But if you are looking at a lot of companies it might be costing extra time and effort. I don't look at many companies so not a big deal for me.

I also agree that it's mildly annoying that the main items like "Total Revenue" and "Net Income" are not highlighted and you have to look for the exact line out of 5 different "Net Income..." lines. Not a big deal for me, but yeah mildly annoying.

Hey, thanks for the shoutout! I'm a longtime lurker of this forum and I'm glad that you've found QuickFS to be useful.

With regards to foreign (non-U.S.) exchanges, we're constantly experimenting with adding new ones. For instance, you can find many Australian Stock Exchange stocks on our website, even though we don't officially support ASX stocks. We do officially support Canadian stocks, so please let me know if we're missing any. Otherwise, we're open to suggestions for which exchange(s) to include in our coverage next.

Your welcome.  Morningstar sucks, long live QuickFS!

I'd personally find coverage of Japan, and really any important foreign market like Germany, France, Korea, etc., useful.