Author Topic: Hello I am back from three years of backpacking  (Read 2762 times)

Green King

• Lifetime Member
GK

Morgan

• http://bottomupanalysis.blogspot.com/
Re: Hello I am back from three years of backpacking
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 07:27:06 PM »
Congratulations on your investments and your travels! Iím looking forward to reading more. 

SharperDingaan

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 06:02:30 AM »
Welcome back!

Long ago I was advised by a very smart CEO, that I could expect to be no more than a 'so-so' investor - UNTIL I had built and run a business. Simply because running a business, is all about successfully working with people, to produce something profitable that the communities around you need. The 'investment' side is nice, but secondary to the day-to-day management.

The takeaways were that (1) Being an arsehole is a short-term proposition. EQ will take you a lot further, (2) Treasury/trading is just a silo. Be good at it, but realize that you are just one of many silos, and (3) Leadership is gold. It comes with responsibility, but do it well - and you can rule the world.

I would add to this, that to learn humility - you really need to travel, and see/smell the world up close.
There are amazing people almost everywhere you look.

SD

« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 12:01:28 PM by SharperDingaan »

UNF2007

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 06:04:58 AM »
Welcome back, looking forward to reading your story.

winjitsu

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 11:16:14 AM »
Wow we're pretty similar! I got back from an 18 month trip / break in March, and also moved from finance into tech. Look forward to swapping stories (and cool to see you using substack!).

I would add to this, that to learn humility - you really need to travel, and see/smell the world up close.

Probably my biggest take-away from traveling was exactly this: I met several people with 1/100 of the assets/salaries of us here in the west, but they were 100x happier. Puts our first-world problems in perspective and frankly how unnecessarily we grind so hard and become so unhappy.

Parsad

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 11:55:17 AM »
Welcome back!  Cheers!
No man is a failure who has friends!

clutch

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 04:05:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing your story. This was a pleasure to read... a rare diamond in the rough for this forum these days.  :)

Green King

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 02:37:31 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  :)
GK

Green King

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 02:38:55 PM »
Wow we're pretty similar! I got back from an 18 month trip / break in March, and also moved from finance into tech. Look forward to swapping stories (and cool to see you using substack!).

Probably my biggest take-away from traveling was exactly this: I met several people with 1/100 of the assets/salaries of us here in the west, but they were 100x happier. Puts our first-world problems in perspective and frankly how unnecessarily we grind so hard and become so unhappy.

I am relocating to London this month. Let's chat when I get settled.
GK

Gamecock-YT

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 04:19:25 PM »

Been to ~50 countries and agree with both of these big time. Once we get past the pandemic, I'm going to look heavily into digital nomading/slow travel.