Interview with Spekulatius on QUCT

EricSchleien

Spekulatius,

Nothing. I actually appreciated listening to your voice. Somehow, it put some kind of colour on you as a person to me, personally. And I personally don't consider the content of that particular podcast your "incoherent ramblings". Exactly the same applies for me to your posts here on CoBF, which I also appreciate very much.

So, in short, - as already indicated by me - this is not about your personal integrity [which is fully intact to me] -but about the personal integrity of others posting here on CoBF.

Likewise..  Is there some negative to someone changing their "handle" on the message board from their real name to "Og"?  I have thought I should change my own ridiculously long and meaningless handle to something shorter, since it is just an accident of history (an old yahoo email account used to get a free trial subscription to Weldon's Money Monitor in the late 90's, which became my default name on chucks_angels yahoo board).  If I were to change my handle to gfp, would that upset someone?

John, I'm kind of confused. What exactly is the issue here?

ut about the personal integrity of others posting here on CoBF.

When og changed his name (or got a new account, whichever) there wasn't any secrecy around it. He posted under his real name when he started asking about guests for his show. 

I also don't see a problem with what he is doing.

I've never understood why guys with status/money do anything so risky. Aside from the ethical implications, which are clear, isn't it easy nowadays with the tinder's and online stuff to hook up easily? Last time I dated, a decade ago, it was easy, too easy, and I'm not making any claims on looks or skills here. Or is it about something else? IDK.

Edit: Want to add that I'm not a believer in the "believe her" aka lack of due process movement. I don't claim to know what happened. Myself, and two good friends have had issues in the past. In Eric's case, she may have looked 20 years old, IDK.

When I was 27, I had a great small company with about 20 employees. I had a half dozen female secretaries that all worked in the same room. My book keeper/payroll employee, a female, let me know one day that due to the lack of communication I had with the secretaries they weren't sure about their status with me. She asked me to simply stop by and ask them how they are doing intermittently.

The next day I said hello to one on my way by and somehow we started talking about tv shows. I brought up Big Love, which we pretty new IIRC, and said jokingly something about how I *might* be able to handle two wives. I was married at the time. The conversation was very brief. I can honestly say I had -zero attraction to this woman.

A couple weeks later, my book keeper LMK that all the other secretaries didn't like the "big love" secretary and she wasn't performing well. I said well go ahead and fire her... that was her responsibility anyway. She was fired.

A month or so later I get a call from the state saying that the "big love" girl was claiming I sexually harassed her and that the company had discriminated against her because she was mentally handicapped. It was the first that anyone at the company had heard about some purported handicap and it was never disclosed to us. Someone from the state came and interviewed all the other females and apparently they didn't didn't have anything bad to say about me and the case was closed.

I'm simply writing this because we really don't know what happened and the are often incentives/disincentives working in the background, hidden. 

For those who care, Eric disclosed his legal issues and the situation he is in prior to the meetup. I wasn’t aware of it, since don’t follow local news all that much. The story is what it is and I am not inclined to judge. What I do know is that the three of us had a great time talking investing, politics (a bit), stocks , doing a podcast (my first one) and play a board game. I wouldn’t hesitate to do another meetup again.

Well, Spekulatius,

to me, you're not [in any way] related to this.

In short, it's about double indentity here on CoBF.

Please explain yourself, Og, here.

Explain what?  That he's using a pseudonym on an anonymous message board?

Well, Spekulatius,

So, is this a meeting place or a community?

Transactional or relational?

Anonymity is a double-edged sword which comes with its own sense of responsibility.

For me, an investment is a partnership and maybe that's too personal.

For me, this community is for two things, entertainment, and idea generation/buffering.

So in regards to the later, my only concern is making MU-KNEE..... let the truth and the info available take me to where I need to be to make it.

I open and welcome any and all ideas and info, it is on me to decipher it and either put it to use or discard it. Lets not worry about judging peoples character on an anonymous Internet forum/community. In a twisted sense, the most honest or transparent folks will be the ones getting assassinated while the opaque(not with standing John Hjorth who I am guessing really is John Hjorth) play judge and jury. Eric used his real name, google him, judge him, execute him. Anonymous poster never gets ridiculed.... If Eric likes pursuing teenagers, thats his prerogative. Doesn't mean he can't provide value to an investing community... Also doesn't mean he doesn't have a side to the story. Frankly I could care less.

For those who care, Eric disclosed his legal issues and the situation he is in prior to the meetup. I wasn’t aware of it, since don’t follow local news all that much. The story is what it is and I am not inclined to judge. What I do know is that the three of us had a great time talking investing, politics (a bit), stocks , doing a podcast (my first one) and play a board game. I wouldn’t hesitate to do another meetup again.

Yes, I knew about it in advance as well and there is quite a bit more to the story than that article lets on. But it was a good time and I wouldn't hesitate to meetup with you or Eric again.

As far as John’s objection to the name change, that puzzles me.  I've been on this board since it was on the orher platform way back when. That was the pre-facebook days when almost no one used their real names online. That is why my username isn't my teal name. I don't see the issue with changing usernames or going anonymous.

Dude what the *$#$? Trying to pick up a 16 year old at Exeter Academy as a 30 year old?

I don't know what "more to the story" there can be. Who picks up high school girls as a freaking adult? And Eric, keep your crappy behavior outside of the 914 area code.

Anyways - was interesting to hear you speak, Spek. Funny how Eric could not pronounce the name....it is a typical latin pronunciation. But you were the star of the show and more importantly, knew your stuff - well performed!

Well, Spekulatius,

So, is this a meeting place or a community?

Transactional or relational?

Anonymity is a double-edged sword which comes with its own sense of responsibility.

For me, an investment is a partnership and maybe that's too personal.

Why does it have to be the same for everyone?  What prevents "relational" interactions among some and "transactional" interactions among others on the same message board (or, for that matter, the same workplace or city block)?

Imho the board is fine the way it is. I couldn't care less whether John or Eric or Cigarbutt is your real name or not and if you opened another account or not. Report posts/posters you think are inappropriate and let Parsad do his job. No need for John or others to police the forum by their own moral standards. Frankly I'd have preferred it if this thread didn't exist - I'd rather have everybody disclosing as much about their personal lives as they are comfortable with themselves. I am here mainly to make money rather than friends. But I guess that's not true for all.

There's a big difference between anonymous and pseudonymous. If you keep the same alias for years, people get to know you just as much as if you were using a "real name". A lot of the best accounts here and on Twitter are pseudonymous, but we know who they are because we've been following them for years, even if we don't know their real names.