Author Topic: Leaving New York City  (Read 43004 times)

BG2008

Re: Leaving New York City
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2020, 08:30:18 PM »
https://nypost.com/2020/12/30/nyc-bicyclists-attack-bmw-in-broad-daylight-wild-video-shows/

This kind of shit really scares me despite having a large concentration of my wealth in both private and public NYC real estate plays.  The truth is that middle/upper class people may want no bail, equality, diversity etc.  The reality is that if this becomes an expected outcome on a daily basis, you can kiss rent collection and rent growth goodbye in NYC.  It's not like this is a marginal area like the Bronx.  This is motherfucking 5th Ave and 21st Street.  The best investment in the next 10 years may be gated communities in Florida as lacking in character as they are.  When you examine the pyramids of needs, safety is at the bottom.  I'm going to keep monitoring this.  But I may bail out of my NYC position if this becomes a thing.  At times like this, I really do miss Bloomberg as mayor.  DeBlasio has been terrible.  I am worried that there is not mayor candidates who is going to reverse this trend.  There was a great reddit thread once that talks about "perception of risk by a group of teenagers".  I think our society cuddle teenagers too much.  The reality is that a group of 14-20 years risk perception has not been fully developed.  They don't fully understand consequences at that point.  Our society is currently giving a blank check for youngsters to destroy and hurt people and property without the threat of jail time.  Why the political rant all a sudden?  Well, it affects the investment thesis of owning RE in Florida.  Redneck Riviera looks a lot more attractive at the moment.  Should've bought some Joes.

you are likely not old enough to remember the Dinkins administration...squeejee men who would spit on your car if you didnt pay them to clean your perfectly clean front windshield.  take it from me, things will get worse before they get better in NYC.  I dont see any sanity on the near horizon

I am old enough to remember squeezy man, mob controlled everything, and not wanting to be in now very nice parts of Brooklyn.   I also remember the gangs of Chinatown.  I remember a time when both liberals and conservatives hail Rudy as cleaning up the city.  It's bizarre for me to see how much people hate Rudy today.  I am very liberal when it comes to who gets to have sex with who and whether you can have abortions or not.  But I am conservative when it comes to law and order and fiscal stuff.

ukvalueinvestment

« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2020, 02:15:47 AM »
I don't think many would argue that Giuliani did some fine things as mayor.  But that doesn't mean you can't also judge his actions over the last ten years in a negative way.  People change. Rudy has not aged well.
@ukvalueinv

Spekulatius

« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2020, 05:03:16 AM »
I don't think many would argue that Giuliani did some fine things as mayor.  But that doesn't mean you can't also judge his actions over the last ten years in a negative way.  People change. Rudy has not aged well.

Yes, Rudy was well respected then but now has become a shadow of his former self. Blasio is simply not able to govern the city effectively in a time it really matters (like Rudy did around 9/11/2001).

I think there will be a big reset coming, one way or another.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

cherzeca

« Reply #113 on: December 31, 2020, 06:47:38 AM »
"I think there will be a big reset coming, one way or another."

walking down the NYC streets and seeing all of the stores boarding up their window fronts in advance of a potus election was a reset enough for me.

BG2008

« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2020, 07:05:58 AM »

Yes, Rudy was well respected then but now has become a shadow of his former self. Blasio is simply not able to govern the city effectively in a time it really matters (like Rudy did around 9/11/2001).

I think there will be a big reset coming, one way or another.

Well, let's not forget how Big Mike got us through the GFC