Login over http

wisowis

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very easy.

It requires the purchase & installation of an SSL certificate.

I'd contribute to the minuscule cost.

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=555034.0

They already have a certificate that is valid. It's probably just a setting in the board software that needs to be turned on so that it defaults to HTTPS (probably dynamically changing all the navigation links, which are currently HTTP).

I agree, this has bothered me for quite some time as well. You can get a EV SSL Certificate from Comodo for a few hundred a year. You probably don't even need that level as there is really only one payment transaction, but for the minimal cost more it wouldn't hurt.

Yo, bros...keep your pants on.  COBF is going to be going a redevelopment over the next 6-8 months...thus why I haven't made certain upgrades, etc.  It costs money to do a complete revamp!

It will look

- completely different

- more modern

- something I can actually treat more as a media website, rather than simply a message board

- but the message board feature will be safe, and all existing posts transported over

- including the section you love so much "Politics"...but it will be in its own play-pen, so you don't have to look at it if you don't want to. 

It will have more features, and all of the little "ignore" features you guys are looking for.  Better security features.

And yes, hats and t-shirts are coming, so that you guys can identify yourselves as the cult-nutjobs you are when you hold your city get togethers or go to Toronto or Omaha.

Lots more as we add features, etc and redevelop COBF!  Cheers!

Yo, bros...keep your pants on.  COBF is going to be going a redevelopment over the next 6-8 months...thus why I haven't made certain upgrades, etc.  It costs money to do a complete revamp!

And yes, hats and t-shirts are coming, so that you guys can identify yourselves as the cult-nutjobs you are when you hold your city get togethers or go to Toronto or Omaha.

Finally, my role here is acknowledged.

;D

It will look

- completely different

- more modern

- something I can actually treat more as a media website, rather than simply a message board

- but the message board feature will be safe, and all existing posts transported over

- including the section you love so much "Politics"...but it will be in its own play-pen, so you don't have to look at it if you don't want to. 

It will have more features, and all of the little "ignore" features you guys are looking for.  Better security features.

Thanks!

Online communities are pretty fragile, so I'd just encourage caution in the changes made to the format. I've seen it over and over again in my time on the internet over these past 25 years. There's a big change, almost everything is different, maybe it looks better but for some unforeseen reasons doesn't work as well or is too slow or there's some new UX annoyance, and there's a massive exodus or usage drops significantly and it's a spiral (fewer people contribute, so fewer people come to read, so fewer new people join, and so on). Happened to Digg, once one of the most popular sites on the internet, after a redesign that users didn't like.

Not saying anything is going to happen, but your mention of the total redesign has brought back these memories, so I thought I'd mention it so it's on the radar.

It will look

- completely different

- more modern

Thanks!

Online communities are pretty fragile, so I'd just encourage caution in the changes made to the format. I've seen it over and over again in my time on the internet over these past 25 years. There's a big change, almost everything is different, maybe it looks better but for some unforeseen reasons doesn't work as well or is too slow or there's some new UX annoyance, and there's a massive exodus or usage drops significantly and it's a spiral (fewer people contribute, so fewer people come to read, so fewer new people join, and so on). Happened to Digg, once one of the most popular sites on the internet, after a redesign that users didn't like.

Not saying anything is going to happen, but your mention of the total redesign has brought back these memories, so I thought I'd mention it so it's on the radar.

100% this

Used to visit a site AnalystForum.com religiously.  There was some great stock picking banter on there, CFA banter etc.  It was easy to search, easy to use.  They "modernized it", which meant less information dense, more ads, more disconnected.  I haven't visited in years.  The site used to have thousands of posters, last visit it appeared to be mostly dead.

There are other sites that I used to use that have been similar, a shame really.

100% this

Used to visit a site AnalystForum.com religiously.  There was some great stock picking banter on there, CFA banter etc.  It was easy to search, easy to use.  They "modernized it", which meant less information dense, more ads, more disconnected.  I haven't visited in years.  The site used to have thousands of posters, last visit it appeared to be mostly dead.

There are other sites that I used to use that have been similar, a shame really.

This mostly happened to me with music forums, back in the day.

Usually, they went from an old-school but super functional and fast boards to more "modern" but really slow and with lots of white space and low information-density things that were made to look good on a static mockup but not be clicked around on 100 times a day, and then died..

Please stay open-minded to change! [ : - ) ]

- - - o 0 o - - -

About five years ago - or so - I was very close to give up posting here on CoBF. The problem then [for me] was the WYSIWYG editor built in to the board. It has taken me a lot of effort to "understand" and "decode" the simple Machines Forum software bugs [<- There are many!] - to use high level BB Code in my postings.

I have to agree. The simplicity of this site is what appeals to me. No fuss straight forward raw information. It's a lot like the old SiliconInvestor site but with much more streamline functionality. One thing I really like is the lack of ability to "like" or "dislike" others posts. I think it encourages more conversation rather than some forums like Reddit that skew good and bad information.

Either way I'm sure Sanjeev will make the right decision.

Edit: Will buy a T-shirt for sure.

Please stay open-minded to change! [ : - ) ]

- - - o 0 o - - -

About five years ago - or so - I was very close to give up posting here on CoBF. The problem then [for me] was the WYSIWYG editor built in to the board. It has taken me a lot of effort to "understand" and "decode" the simple Machines Forum software bugs [<- There are many!] - to use high level BB Code in my postings.

I'm open-minded to change. I'm also aware of potential pitfalls. Both things are no incompatible.

Don't worry, the message board itself will remain the same or very similar.  Ease of use will be the primary factor. 

Most of the changes will be around the rest of the content, utility, having guest contributors, the overall feel of how the COBF community developed over 18 years, and an upgraded more modern look and feel. 

Cheers!

Don't worry, the message board itself will remain the same or very similar.  Ease of use will be the primary factor. 

Most of the changes will be around the rest of the content, utility, having guest contributors, the overall feel of how the COBF community developed over 18 years, and an upgraded more modern look and feel. 

Cheers!

Sounds great, thank you for all the work that you do for this community!

I see the site switched to https.

It seems like comment editing is broken though. I can post comment. But when I try to post edited comment, "Save" button throws up warning and pressing "Continue" does not post the edited changes.

Whew!  Now I can sleep well at night because obviously I use the same password for COBF as I do for all of my financial accounts!  Given the angst and hand-wringing about HTTPS, it would seem that I am one of many who just uses one single password for all of my accounts.  :P

SJ