Most Popular Podcast Platforms

Sleepwell
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I use the Overcast app. My next choice would probably be the Castro app.

I dislike Spotify's entry into the field because most of the innovation and dynamisms comes from the openness, like the open web. Once it gets all walled garden and fragmented, it'll likely stagnate and become worse for listeners.

I use overcast as well.  I originally selected it for its listening enhancements such as  shortening pauses between words as well as straightforward speed controls that can be modified per podcaster if desired. I now take that for granted but still prefer it for its easy to use interface and continual addition of useful features.  Like the post by Liberty, the last thing I want is Spotify managing my podcasts and up-selling me features.  At the big players like Spotify and iTune, innovation is more often than not just another word for monetization of me.

I use overcast as well.  I originally selected it for its listening enhancements such as  shortening pauses between words as well as straightforward speed controls that can be modified per podcaster if desired. I now take that for granted but still prefer it for its easy to use interface and continual addition of useful features.  Like the post by Liberty, the last thing I want is Spotify managing my podcasts and up-selling me features.  At the big players like Spotify and iTune, innovation is more often than not just another word for monetization of me.

People complain that they need to subscribe to Netflix and Hulu and HBO and such to watch the shows they want to watch... Wait until you need to pay  Spotify and 3 others (or at least create accounts on and use their clients) to get all the podcasts you want to listen to...

If you go to the bottom of the about page of Overcast, you can see how much time the silence-shortening feature has saved you (without counting other speed adjustments).

So far I've saved 426 hours.

And I usually listen between 1.75x and 2x, so that's probably another couple thousand hours there. (if you try to go from 1x to that it'll sound crazy, but go to 1.25x for a few weeks, and then 1.5x... your brain gets used to it and for most conversational shows where the information density is fairly low, it's totally fine... might not work for dense audiobooks, but just adjust for what works for you.)

That's a lot of extra material thanks to these features... More than pays for itself (time is your most valuable resource).

Guest cherzeca

there are only a few podcasts I subscribe to and I never thought to consider platforms as an item of choice...only the podcasts which I can subscribe to independently of platform consideration.  if I am missing something I am not sure I care to know what it is