Author Topic: Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)  (Read 17021 times)

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
Re: Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2020, 11:38:20 AM »
I just wrapped up The Expanse. Really enjoyed it - definitely had some Battlestar Gllactica vibes

Season 1 was great, definitely made me think this was the successor to BSG. But I thought the tone and writing changed after that and the quality dropped, which is too bad. Haven't seen the latest season yet.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

DocSnowball

« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2020, 07:02:35 PM »
Parasite, by Bong Joon Ho

After you're done watching, check out "The ending of parasite explained" on YouTube...WOW!!!

Tuxedostyle

• Special Situation Investments
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2020, 01:32:59 AM »
What do you think about The Witcher? Was thinking about giving it a chance for a while, but the reviews seem to be quite contradictory.

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2020, 11:32:57 AM »
What do you think about The Witcher? Was thinking about giving it a chance for a while, but the reviews seem to be quite contradictory.

Witcher so far follows books pretty closely. The complaints about the show would be mostly the complaints about the books too. Whether someone would like the show would depend on whether they would have liked the style and content of the books.

In other words, try it. If you don't like it, don't watch it.  8)

Personally, I somewhat liked the stories in the books covered this season. I did not like the remaining books and thus I might not like the remaining seasons if they follow the books closely.
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

Spekulatius

« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2020, 03:14:52 PM »

I didn’t like it first for the first two episodes, but then started to like it. I think it will grow into a real franchise. I have completed the first season and look forward to the 2nd.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2020, 04:36:08 PM »
I've heard good things about the show 'Vikings'. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm curious if anyone here has seen it and can share their opinion of it. Thanks.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Spekulatius

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2020, 04:45:52 PM »
I've heard good things about the show 'Vikings'. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm curious if anyone here has seen it and can share their opinion of it. Thanks.

I love ‘Vikings’. Great production and acting. Very rustic. One of my favorite shoes.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

thepupil

« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2020, 05:00:15 PM »
for a rather raunchy and ridiculous comedy about Vikings, I recommend Norsemen on Netflix.

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2020, 08:26:25 PM »

I liked it too!

—-

Bernard Cornwell’s “Saxon Choronicles” novels (GREAT) were made into a series called “the Last Kingdom”.

It’s about Alfred the great & is fleshed out with fictional characters like Uhtred,
a Saxon boy who’s captured & raised by Danes & becomes Alfred’s greatest
Commander in the fight against invaders.

Alfred screws Uhtred over a lot.

There’s 3 seasons to watch after gorging yourself on Vikings.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 06:11:45 AM by DooDiligence »
BRK.B - 24.9% // Healthcare 22.5% - EW NVO // Auto's & Oil 18.4% - CLB GPC PSX VDE

Banking 9.4% - WFC // Entertainment 4.7% - DIS // Drinkers & Smokers 6.4% - MO

Retail 7.0% - ULTA VLGEA

---

%'s held @ MV 2/19/2020 minus 6.7% investable cash

i trumpet my ignorance

https://twitter.com/tunawish

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2020, 06:05:04 AM »
I saw ‘1917’ (2019). What a remarkable accomplishment. One of the best war films ever, in my opinion. It breathes. Some of those sets and environments and set pieces are unreal, yet so real. Worth seeing in theater imo. A+