Author Topic: Since Covid Lockdown, has this site's posting improved, worsened or meh?  (Read 3615 times)

cherzeca

Viking

• Lifetime Member
I voted just fine like it always was.

Back in late Feb and during March there was lots of Coronavirus posting. April / May it has shifted (thank god) back to investing and regular stuff. Not that Coronavirus is not important...

When i got annoyed at some posters on the coronavirus thread (i am sure it just happens to me :-) i just ignore them. I. Take a self imposed time out.

I actually like the fact that there is so much disagreement on important topics. Normally it means there is some learning to be had. Look at the Fairfax threads... i agree with both sides (depending on the day).

Coronavirus is just the primer... the real story will be happening in November. Put your seatbelt (or hockey helmet) on if you think the Coronavirus thread was a wild ride :-)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:11:20 PM by Viking »

bizaro86

I think it's a bit better. A few posters have really upped their game lately (shout out to thepupil and he collection of REITs with a free one-liner).

I dont read the coronavirus thread at all after concluding it was doing me more harm than good though, so that might color my opinion.

merkhet

• Lifetime Member
In aggregate, this forum has gotten worse since around 2013 or so. I remember there were people talking about this back then and the response was that it would get better when markets tanked again because the old posters would come back -- that hasn't happened, but, as bizaro86 said, post-COVID, there have been some great posts by a few folks on here.

thepupil

A few posters have really upped their game lately (shout out to thepupil and he collection of REITs with a free one-liner).

Quitting a stable job at the start of a global recession/depression does help one post a lot 😀

You all have me for 4 more weeks...then my days belong to my new employer!

Iím going out with a bang, so many worthless buildings to buy before then!

BG2008

A few posters have really upped their game lately (shout out to thepupil and he collection of REITs with a free one-liner).

Quitting a stable job at the start of a global recession/depression does help one post a lot 😀

You all have me for 4 more weeks...then my days belong to my new employer!

Iím going out with a bang, so many worthless buildings to buy before then!

Thepupil,

Can you update us on what you are doing job wise?  I remember you mentioning it in a few of your posts.  I hope you'll be able to post as freely in 4 more weeks.  Would hate to lose your awesome high octane posts!!

LC

In aggregate, this forum has gotten worse since around 2013 or so. I remember there were people talking about this back then and the response was that it would get better when markets tanked again because the old posters would come back -- that hasn't happened, but, as bizaro86 said, post-COVID, there have been some great posts by a few folks on here.

I agree some really good posters have reduced or eliminated their activity. However I was  reading some old threads from 2011-2014 (or so) and was expecting the dialogue to be at a higher level - but actually I found it very similar to recent years. I was surprised to be seeing personal attacks, political bickering, faulty logic (your returns sucked last year, your analysis must be wrong!), etc.

I think perhaps there is some nostalgia at play :D

"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
akam| brk.b | goog | irm | lyv | net | nlsn | pm | ssd | t | tfsl | v | wfc | xom

Mephistopheles

One of my favorite posters, Kraven, has been MIA in forever. Loved reading his posts, they were educational and humorous

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
I voted "just fine same as ever was".  I haven't read the coronavirus thread at all, so maybe that has shielded me from what others are experiencing.

cherzeca

I have noticed an increase in emotion and contentiousness, to which I have contributed and for which I apologize.  I have also noticed a decrease in posts (threads really, or posts back and forth among a few posters that examine an issue from pretty much all sides) that I find truly insightful.  the economic effect of the corona shutdown when coupled with the advent of a potus election cycle make this a rather disconcerting time.  I have reacted by posting too much on matters that I know much too little about, when compared to the single topic that I believe I know a good deal about.  this may be called venting, which does not benefit the board.