Author Topic: Space X  (Read 91614 times)

JRM

Re: Space X
« Reply #310 on: November 19, 2020, 06:59:11 AM »
The smartest people I know work at Boeing.  The problem isn't the engineering talent, the problem is upper management. 

SpaceX also doesn't have to answer to public investors.  Not trying to take away anything from SpaceX.  They also have incredible engineering talent.

FWIW, my old college room mate (who works for Boeing) recently changed his opinion of Elon.  He used to be a big time Elon homer, but after hearing Elon talk about putting satellites in space he realized he didn't know what he was talking about.  I could my friend had made the realization that just because someone is a billionaire doesn't mean they are actually a genius. 

I would bet my house that my friend's IQ is higher than Elon's.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 07:12:17 AM by JRM »

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #311 on: November 19, 2020, 07:58:02 AM »
The smartest people I know work at Boeing.  The problem isn't the engineering talent, the problem is upper management. 

SpaceX also doesn't have to answer to public investors.  Not trying to take away anything from SpaceX.  They also have incredible engineering talent.

FWIW, my old college room mate (who works for Boeing) recently changed his opinion of Elon.  He used to be a big time Elon homer, but after hearing Elon talk about putting satellites in space he realized he didn't know what he was talking about.  I could my friend had made the realization that just because someone is a billionaire doesn't mean they are actually a genius. 

I would bet my house that my friend's IQ is higher than Elon's.

I don't doubt it.  Musk is no rocket scientist, but he doesn't have to be.  There are different types of genius.  I'm sure your incredibly smart friend couldn't run a multibillion dollar company, never mind a couple of them.

JRM

« Reply #312 on: November 19, 2020, 08:21:37 AM »
Fair enough.

Dalal.Holdings

« Reply #313 on: November 19, 2020, 11:41:38 AM »
Steve Jobs believed a fruit diet could cure his pancreatic cancer and put off having surgery from the thing that killed him...IQ is irrelevant. One can be a genius in their circle of competence and an idiot outside of it...

Plenty of geniuses work at a lot of organizations. Many geniuses are lazy. Many are held back by an organizationís culture or management.

The talent at SpaceX and Tesla are very intelligent, hungry, and given free reign to exercise their curiosity.

Places like Boeing are where you go to have a safe career...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 11:43:28 AM by Dalal.Holdings »

winjitsu

« Reply #314 on: November 19, 2020, 01:08:53 PM »
Places like Boeing are where you go to have a safe career...

100% in Seattle workforce... I'll just say with all the tech companies up here in Seattle... Boeing is by no means getting the best talent.

But if you think Boeing is bad, wait until you work with similar type companies in Europe with 8+ weeks of vacation. All I can say is the US startup work culture and large European firm cultures do not mesh well at all [no offense to our European friends here :)]

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • libertyrpf.com
    • http://www.libertyrpf.com
« Reply #315 on: November 20, 2020, 04:58:12 PM »
I don't doubt it.  Musk is no rocket scientist, but he doesn't have to be. 

Actually, I think you can say he is, at this point. Maybe an unconventional path to get there, but as lead rocket designer for SpaceX, and based on any reports I could see from people around him, he can hold his own with rocket engineers no problem. Nobody knows everything, but to pretend he doesn't know what he's doing and isn't a real rocket guy just because he didn't have some piece of paper or some job with some title at Boeing before this seems missing the forest for the trees to me. Self-education is still education, and doing is better proof of competence than diplomas.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #316 on: November 23, 2020, 08:12:32 AM »
"Yes the universe is probably a computer program..."
https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/program-2