Author Topic: The 50-Bagger I Sold For 10 Times!  (Read 2884 times)

Parsad

• Administrator
Re: The 50-Bagger I Sold For 10 Times!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 12:20:37 PM »
Congrats on the play! I think I'm going to make a citizens arrest on anyone mentioning OSTK from here on out  ;D... I had a decent amount of calls that expired in March... Guess I should've rolled those puppies huh?? I feel like vomiting when I look at the price...

Feel exactly the same, even though I made a great return and stuck to my investing playbook!  Cheers!
No man is a failure who has friends!

cherzeca

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 01:34:11 PM »
Congrats on the play! I think I'm going to make a citizens arrest on anyone mentioning OSTK from here on out  ;D... I had a decent amount of calls that expired in March... Guess I should've rolled those puppies huh?? I feel like vomiting when I look at the price...

Feel exactly the same, even though I made a great return and stuck to my investing playbook!  Cheers!

retailing part of biz was trash, blockchain was the sizzle...seems that has been reversed.  OSTK was covidized

BG2008

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 02:40:13 PM »
I made a thread about Robinhood crowd going "Full Retard" on Kodak

This is likely what's driving this

10 bagger is a 10 bagger.  Can't complain. 

There were some hedges that I bought going into March that I liquidated for about 10-11x.  I had puts on Royal Carribean that I sold for a double.  $100 strike, March expiration, paid $1 and sold for $2.  Those would have been a 60-70x at its low.  But I had a broad basket that was up 10-11x.  Thanks for reminding me of this!!! I almost forgot about it! Attach trigger warning next.  JK.  I'm perfectly fine with the outcome. 

Xerxes

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 03:42:46 PM »
Folks
For the uninitiated, is LEAP the same as out of the money call way out in the future ?
Or is it a combo option play with something else.

Just not sure why folks here call it LEAP instead of out of call calls.

Gregmal

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 04:00:40 PM »
Folks
For the uninitiated, is LEAP the same as out of the money call way out in the future ?
Or is it a combo option play with something else.

Just not sure why folks here call it LEAP instead of out of call calls.

LEAP is just a longer dated option. Can be in or out of the money.

Mark Jr.

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 09:21:28 AM »
Now this is where the disconnect happens for value investors, because many of us deep-value guys, don't know how to just hold on...and often if we do let our winners run, we get burned as they turn quickly.  The stock I had bought alone would have been a 25 bagger today if I held on...the LEAPs in MPIC Fund I, LP would have been 50 baggers today, and the personal portfolio LEAPs that i bought alongside the stock would have been 70 baggers today...all in three fucking months!

Somebody buy me a drink, because this market is killing me even when I make money hand over fist!  Cheers!

I have the same issue around my Tucows trade, which was my first real value investment, and it was somewhat textbook: I had a profound understanding of the business (my own company is both a competitor and a client of Tucows), the realization they had off-balance sheet assets which were conservatively worth more than 3X the market cap of the entire company, that they had a clear path and plan to unlock that value (the Yummynames aftermarket portfolio), and the company was already profitable via their normal course operations and trading at a PE of 10.

Started buying at 0.60 (2.40 post split), and bought a lot, given my portfolio size of the time. Concentrated play - held for 8+ years. Then exited between $17-$19 only to watch it continue right up to $80+.

The way I made peace with it over the years was to understand that we all have regrets, regrets are unavoidable, and that some regrets are better having than others.

So, “I wish I bought more” or “I wish I let that run longer” are examples of benign, not-bad regrets to have.

“I wish I never tried heroin”, or “I which I didn’t bet the farm on Bitcoin in December 2017”, “I wish I never had that affair” are examples of bad regrets.

If you can get through your career and your life with mostly good regrets, you should come out ok.

OracleofCarolina

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 12:51:31 PM »
Brad Safalow, of PAA Research is in today’s Barrons and one of his picks is OSTK. He originally recommended at $15 and his current price target is $110. He values the online business at $75 and thinks in  and upside scenario that tZero could be worth another $25 a share

valueinvestor

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 05:04:52 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Quite happy to read this! Although this could've been a 50 bagger, it's a great issue to have - to have sold way to early, rather than too late.

I thought the trade was brilliant - a debt-free enterprise that had an obvious tailwind. I can't believe I haven't thought about it myself.

However, I rather read about this then not know it at all. Live and learn.

Congratulations Sanjeev! Quite happy for yah!