Value-oriented private equity firms

jwelborn93

Guest Grey512

They all claim to be value-oriented. But IMO, Apollo and H.I.G. are the least likely to overpay. Some other firms that do distressed are also arguably more value-oriented than the average PE.

Does anyone have any value-oriented pe firms they particularly admire?  Strategies tend to be more secretive because they can be but was curious.

What's behind the question? That's tricky, because as we know, value means a lot of different things to different people. If you're talking "deep value" (i.e. cheap assets), Sun, Platinum, Gores, etc are all well known in that space. If you're talking about trying to buy good businesses at reasonable values, that's much more difficult to pin down. A lot of that depends on a PE's ability to directly source deals, because you're highly unlikely to get a reasonable price in an auction. Endeavour Capital based out of Portland is a good example of a firm that tends to source most of their deals themselves, and as such tends to get a better deal (lower price), although of course that doesn't necessarily mean it'll turn out well.

I should have been more clear--the question should have been phrased as, "which private equity firms' strategies most closely align to your personal style of investing?"  Very broad question but I'm interested in what the community has to say.  I'm starting to look at private equity firm in the next stage in my career and wanted to hopefully find some lesser-known firms.