Author Topic: What are you buying today?  (Read 1780380 times)

BG2008

Re: What are you buying today?
« Reply #4130 on: August 27, 2019, 09:57:22 AM »
GRIF @35 and MSGN @14

I would be buying more GRIF if it wasn't for the large position size already.

Yea while I don't think its got much of a catalyst I still kind of ask myself Who TF is selling at these prices? Its one thing to look at a stock and pass. Its another when you already own it because you have to at least peripherally be aware of what's going on. I mean, even on a super short term, trading based thesis, $35 is still where'd you'd be buying, not selling... got another 1250 today.

Gabelli has sold some recently.  I think he manages SMAs and when clients redeem, they tell him to sell out of the stock which he is always very reluctant to do.  That's why you see 40,000 shares sold from Gabelli.  I think Gabelli and the family reducing their stake is better for the long term because it will improve the liquidity and the bid/ask spread of the company.   Yes, there is no catalyst.  But when you have a NAV that's 90-100% higher than the current price, good things happen.  The same thing happened to HHC.   

Ahab

« Reply #4131 on: August 27, 2019, 11:20:00 AM »
PM & MO. I think investors are wildly pessimistic about the future of tobacco. I'm a Gen Z and people still smoke aplenty.
Long: FNMAT, FNMAN, FMCCL, FMCKO, BAC, JPM, GOOG, JD, MO/PM
Short: PCG, TSLA
Twitter: AhabValue

Lakesider

« Reply #4132 on: August 27, 2019, 02:00:43 PM »
Sold NXPI, bought some EAF.

TwoCitiesCapital

« Reply #4133 on: August 27, 2019, 06:26:46 PM »
Cash.

Following the sale of 20% of my S&P 500 puts. Waiting for 30+ VIX to sell more.

Have been buying & selling over the last 2-3 weeks. Typically 20-30% of the position. When VIX dropped to 15-17 I was buying and selling those same contracts each time it went to 20+.

Entire position has basically been paid for in profits at this point and I purchased more today.

VIX hasn't dropped in the target range like I've been waiting for on prior buys, but 2 observations give me an ominous feeling:

1) A handful of the last few days have ended slightly positive or flat for the S&P/Dow and my puts positions still rose in value slightly (crazy!)

2) NYSE Composite failed to break through it's 200 DMA today and turned negative again.

Not a huge TA expert, but that seems to tell me that a major composite failed to break out on positive headlines (supposedly softer trade stance from Trump/China) and the market isn't buying it and is hedging instead (a bid under puts despite rising market).

Maybe I'm just to more risk-seeking now that it's house money, but it doesn't sit right with me so I purchased more puts today.

Gregmal

« Reply #4134 on: August 27, 2019, 06:38:54 PM »
Cash.

Have been buying & selling over the last 2-3 weeks. Typically 20-30% of the position. When VIX dropped to 15-17 I was buying and selling those same contracts each time it went to 20+.

Entire position has basically been paid for in profits at this point and I purchased more today.

VIX hasn't dropped in the target range like I've been waiting for on prior buys, but 2 observations give me an ominous feeling:

1) A handful of the last few days have ended slightly positive or flat for the S&P/Dow and my puts positions still rose in value slightly (crazy!)

2) NYSE Composite failed to break through it's 200 DMA today and turned negative again.

Not a huge TA expert, but that seems to tell me that a major composite failed to break out on positive headlines (supposedly softer trade stance from Trump/China) and the market isn't buying it and is hedging instead (a bid under puts despite rising market).

Maybe I'm just to more risk-seeking now that it's house money, but it doesn't sit right with me so I purchased more puts today.

Yea, Im getting the same gut feeling. Everything of late seems like a bull trap. Cyclicals just don't move on up days and then get flattened on down days. Everything gets faded. Many names within an earshot of or at 52 week lows. Even non correlated assets are getting sold off. My top performer this month is basically a triple net REIT....

SHDL

« Reply #4135 on: August 27, 2019, 06:52:18 PM »
The bond market is screaming so loudly all day that I cannot hear whatever it is that the stonk market is whispering.  :P

Gregmal

« Reply #4136 on: August 28, 2019, 10:31:11 AM »
added a bit to HTL on the dip under $1

SmallCap

• Lifetime Member
    • Business Mastery
« Reply #4137 on: August 28, 2019, 10:40:07 AM »
wrote some Puts on AR
Love watching what people can accomplish through business.
www.sethgetz.com @sethgetz

TwoCitiesCapital

« Reply #4138 on: August 29, 2019, 09:59:38 AM »
Cash.

Yea, Im getting the same gut feeling. Everything of late seems like a bull trap. Cyclicals just don't move on up days and then get flattened on down days. Everything gets faded. Many names within an earshot of or at 52 week lows. Even non correlated assets are getting sold off. My top performer this month is basically a triple net REIT....

Seems like I was wrong this time around. Closed the extra positions but continue to hold the core hedge.

Gregmal

« Reply #4139 on: August 29, 2019, 10:09:27 AM »
Cash.

Seems like I was wrong this time around. Closed the extra positions but continue to hold the core hedge.

We'll see. It seems every time something recovers(be it the economic news, stock market, or whatever) Donny thinks he's got money in the bank to go wage war on someone...