Author Topic: What are you buying today?  (Read 1823599 times)

HalfMeasure

Re: What are you buying today?
« Reply #4420 on: December 10, 2019, 07:25:24 PM »
VIAC, where no money has gone before.

What are your thoughts here?

CorpRaider

• The Corpraider
« Reply #4421 on: December 11, 2019, 04:50:48 AM »

Basically the same thing as set forth here:  http://yetanothervalueblog.com/

(including concerns about controlling shareholder...)  But I like the funnel in for content with Simon and Shuster and the "selling of the picks and shovels to the miners" kind of strategy for streaming wars (maybe even the cost-plus producing shows they don't own isn't anathema...it works ok for defense contractors); also the single product licensing function for the company seems like a great move; they have historically totally blown it with Star Trek (as compared with Wars) imop.  It's obviously cheap AF, even before any "synergies" (assuming they are soon to be destroyed).  Seems like there's maybe a catalyst with Bakish talking about re-upping their buyback authorization.  I also kind of like Bakish (having watched maybe ten interviews with him) he doesn't seem like a smooth bullshitter, Hollywood ceo.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 06:36:21 AM by CorpRaider »

HalfMeasure

« Reply #4422 on: December 11, 2019, 08:09:42 AM »

Basically the same thing as set forth here:  http://yetanothervalueblog.com/

(including concerns about controlling shareholder...)  But I like the funnel in for content with Simon and Shuster and the "selling of the picks and shovels to the miners" kind of strategy for streaming wars (maybe even the cost-plus producing shows they don't own isn't anathema...it works ok for defense contractors); also the single product licensing function for the company seems like a great move; they have historically totally blown it with Star Trek (as compared with Wars) imop.  It's obviously cheap AF, even before any "synergies" (assuming they are soon to be destroyed).  Seems like there's maybe a catalyst with Bakish talking about re-upping their buyback authorization.  I also kind of like Bakish (having watched maybe ten interviews with him) he doesn't seem like a smooth bullshitter, Hollywood ceo.

Thanks, you bring up good points - I was surprised John Malone was so negative on both the "arms dealer" strategy with content (which has worked well for the record labels when it comes to streaming) and the cost-plus arrangements (especially where rights revert back after an initial period), as well your point on product licensing is an interesting one that I haven't seen discussed much elsewhere.

gjangal

« Reply #4423 on: December 11, 2019, 08:21:10 AM »

WORK - I have a one liner thesis for Slack. Corporate facebook with a $85 ARPU. Just need to get to 50 mn paid subs which is is doable i think.

MTCH - Huge addressable market still left. Network effects. Promising customer segmentation strategy. 22% unit growth in subscribers.

Facebook has already a corporate Facebook version. Work looks more like Discord to me. I actually heard that some upstarts use Discord.

Spek,

To clarify i meant it as a comparison. Slack’s growth and engagement has been as viral as facebook. Adoption is better than corporate facebook in terms of paying users. I believe they have a long runway. Timing of my buy couldn’t have been worse given today’s price action

Gregmal

« Reply #4424 on: December 11, 2019, 08:24:54 AM »
shorted some EVER

Gregmal

« Reply #4425 on: December 11, 2019, 09:09:07 AM »
shorted some EVER

closed for $1.5 in a half hour

Gregmal

« Reply #4426 on: December 11, 2019, 09:38:55 AM »
Started a small position in PLCE under 55. May write it up later... Interesting company in an interesting space. Yes...retail

sleepydragon

« Reply #4427 on: December 12, 2019, 11:36:26 AM »
Added more MO

Gregmal

« Reply #4428 on: December 19, 2019, 05:51:42 PM »
Bought a few WFC $45 calls. Looking for a run into earnings.

sleepydragon

« Reply #4429 on: December 19, 2019, 07:50:25 PM »
Bought a few WFC $45 calls. Looking for a run into earnings.

Hopefully the new CEO won’t do write downs, like many new CEOs like to do.