Author Topic: What are you buying today?  (Read 1523048 times)

Spekulatius

Re: What are you buying today?
« Reply #4460 on: January 05, 2020, 07:26:12 AM »
Over the past two days I trimmed IAU and bought IRM, MAC, MCY, ORI, TCO and WPC then sold TCO on a small increase.

Thanks
Lance

So with WPC, ORI and MCY, you are bullish on property insurers? ORI looks interesting based on valuation metrics. I have owned MCY before ( a long time ago) when it traded at book value. I used to have my car and property insurance with them when I lived in CA.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

Sunrider

« Reply #4461 on: January 05, 2020, 09:37:49 AM »
Added a good amount of PCYO the past week, EZPW, added some CTO, got some GRIF today, and for shits, got into some $5 calls on TAST as there seems to be a reasonable chance this'll bounce over the next Q.

Like last year, dont think I really need to do very much in order to do very well in Q1.

What is your expectation for EZPW? Seems with Cohn back in charge and paying himself well, no incentive to common stock value? So it's cheap, but seems the market doesn't trust him on account of his past actions, and the financing last year was probably also so expensive because nobody trusts the guy.
Thanks!

I'd concur with that assessment. I think saying the bar is low here is an understatement. The guy is a world class scoundrel. I was absolutely floored by the stock awards they hand out as well. But at the current prices, I believe that is well reflected. This company, even with its mismanagement, hasn't spent a whole lot of time trading below a 7 handle. The Cohen thing I think really seemed to be the last straw for many people. So my feel there was that you had a point of capitulation. I certainly wouldn't expect improvement as far as governance goes, but the buyback is important and if used should put a floor under this. And then, again because expectations are so low, I think give this thing a pop once its confirmed they've actually been using it. For a company thats exceptionally cheap, that'll move the needle. My tipping point to jump in a little was the glorious public beating Aaron English put on these guys during the latest call. No I dont think it will change these scumbags, but I think at least temporarily, everyone kind of has an incentive to at least get this back to the pre Cohen announcement levels. Many times Ive found that these hucksters like to remain in the dark and control the narratives. When they get called out like this, sometimes, there may be enough of an ego involved that it compels them to make minor(and usually temporary) adjustments to save face a little bit.

Thanks ... I still have a small position (bag holder) ... and have been in two minds on whether to give this another month or just cut it. Simply donít trust these guys to not do something stupid.

sleepydragon

« Reply #4462 on: January 06, 2020, 09:33:06 AM »
GD and BPR

Gregmal

« Reply #4463 on: January 06, 2020, 12:44:22 PM »
Bought a little more GRIF. If nothing more, because the divergence of GRIF's value relative to the general market melt up, and the lack of SWAN stocks currently available.

Broeb22

« Reply #4464 on: January 08, 2020, 11:54:03 AM »
Bought some GDDY and KAR.

Spekulatius

« Reply #4465 on: January 08, 2020, 04:07:03 PM »
Bought some ATTO as a rebound play.

SafetyinNumbers

« Reply #4466 on: January 08, 2020, 05:55:48 PM »

I posted a comment on this article today:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4314926-atento-deserves-your-attention

I think this week's selling is coming from RSU's issued 30 months ago that vested on Jan 2. Last year it was a similar story and the stock declined 14% in 5 days following the vesting of RSUs on a lot of volume and this year it's also down about 14% on significant volume in the 4 days since vesting. Last year ATTO bounced back 13% the following week. Not sure if we'll see a replay but it's a reasonable speculation.
Top 5 positions: ELF.TO TII.V ATTO.N GCM.NT/GCM.WT.B PIF.TO

Spekulatius

« Reply #4467 on: January 09, 2020, 04:10:52 AM »

I think this week's selling is coming from RSU's issued 30 months ago that vested on Jan 2. Last year it was a similar story and the stock declined 14% in 5 days following the vesting of RSUs on a lot of volume and this year it's also down about 14% on significant volume in the 4 days since vesting. Last year ATTO bounced back 13% the following week. Not sure if we'll see a replay but it's a reasonable speculation.

Thanks good comment. It does seem selling on no news and typically I donít think that indiscriminate sellers are that well informed.

SafetyinNumbers

« Reply #4468 on: January 09, 2020, 04:58:07 AM »

Thanks good comment. It does seem selling on no news and typically I donít think that indiscriminate sellers are that well informed.

Thank you.

They also filed yesterday for a shareholder meeting to be held on Feb 4 to authorize the BOD to pursue a premium (or discount) tender for up to 30% of the shares at their discretion over the next 5 years.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1606457/000119312520003870/0001193125-20-003870-index.htm

More details in the article above as well.
Top 5 positions: ELF.TO TII.V ATTO.N GCM.NT/GCM.WT.B PIF.TO

Gregmal

« Reply #4469 on: January 09, 2020, 07:36:06 AM »
Been trading FVE. Maybe something interesting for you special situation folks after restructuring.