Author Topic: What are you buying today?  (Read 1475894 times)

writser

Re: What are you buying today?
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2013, 10:23:30 AM »
It might be useful if you believe in some form of technical analysis / momentum trading (but in that case you should use a stop-limit instead of stop-loss order)
When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.

Olmsted

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »
The idea of stop loss orders is imo ridiculous to begin with: why would you want to sell when something just became cheaper?

This assumes you know everything there is to know about the company.  While we strive to know as much as we can  - that's a strong assumption!  I can recall numerous instances where the stock price started marching steadily down before some bad news, then Boom!  - gap down 20%.  The hard part is discerning whether the "price action" is telling you that you don't know something, or whether the "price action" is wrong, and you should buy more.  I can certainly see the justification behind putting in at least a mental stop loss order as risk management.  Blithely buying more sometimes works, but information asymetry needs to be in your favor.

John Hjorth

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »
Averaging down in OAO Gazprom ADR [OGZPY] for the last 5 weeks.
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2013, 03:43:34 PM »

I know pretty much nothing about Gazprom, but I did watch this the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84MsRuC-1l8
Paul

Hielko

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2013, 04:16:07 PM »
The idea of stop loss orders is imo ridiculous to begin with: why would you want to sell when something just became cheaper?

This assumes you know everything there is to know about the company.  While we strive to know as much as we can  - that's a strong assumption!  I can recall numerous instances where the stock price started marching steadily down before some bad news, then Boom!  - gap down 20%.  The hard part is discerning whether the "price action" is telling you that you don't know something, or whether the "price action" is wrong, and you should buy more.  I can certainly see the justification behind putting in at least a mental stop loss order as risk management.  Blithely buying more sometimes works, but information asymetry needs to be in your favor.
I'am not saying you need to buy more. Maybe the stock does deserve to trade lower: but selling something because it just went lower is the opposite option, and doesn't make a lot of sense from a fundamental investing perspective*. And risk management is imo also a poor excuse. If you have so much exposure that you need a stop loss you should reduce your exposure right now! Not when it's too late.

* As part of a momentum trading strategy I can see the rationale for stop loss orders.

Green King

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2013, 07:54:36 PM »

Can you tell us how you know the reserves are real?
GK

John Hjorth

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2013, 08:57:17 AM »

Can you tell us how you know the reserves are real?
No. From my point of view I haven't paid anything for my fraction of the value of the reserves because the discount on the OGZPY ADRs compared to BV/ADR exeeds my fraction of the BV of aquired/paid reserves [BV of Production Licenses/ADR].
”In the race of excellence … there is no finish line.”
-HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai

Ross812

• Lifetime Member
  • Move over KY
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2013, 09:15:46 AM »
I've bought a bit of Bidvest in the $44-$46 range in the last few days...
96% Fixed Income CDs, Muni, Corporate Debt - 4% SPX Options

Palantir

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2013, 09:14:15 AM »

Visit the RIMM thread.

Intrinsic value is a moving target, like an ocean wave...
My Portfolio: AMZN, PAGP, FSLR, OKE, PYPL, RHT, MSFT

texual

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2013, 10:11:36 AM »
I have not purchased any stock besides Microsoft this past year and a half. If I had any desire to average UP, I would buy a lot more MSFT. However I really like the gains and feel like buying here isn't going to work in my favor!

MSFT was a good investment in the mid/high 20's and I look forward to the dividend increases. I treat it like BRK.B, its a money market account that just happens to kick ass :)