Author Topic: What are you buying today?  (Read 2195702 times)

thepupil

Re: What are you buying today?
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2013, 05:23:41 AM »
GLUX - Great Lakes Aviation

VIC and OTC adventures were the sources of the idea.

http://otcadventures.com/?p=495
http://www.valueinvestorsclub.com/value2/Idea/ViewIdea/97245

38MM of tangible equity, comprised of relatively liquid assets (current assets and planes) against a 10.5MM market cap.

Priced for bankruptcy and maybe that happens. I just see it as a never expiring option that pays 3-4:1  in the event they start making money again, pay down their somewhat usurious financing and the EAS program doesn't get axed.

Only a 2% position because of the risks but I like the risk/reward.

CorpRaider

• The Corpraider
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2013, 10:59:08 AM »
Recent purchases in the last month:

DSL - Doubleline income solutions fund
NLY - Annaly
BSBR - Banco Santeder Brazil
SAN - Banco Santander
LCSHF - Lancashire
SHLD - Sears holding

Nicely done, sir.  I picked up a little DSL myself a few days ago in a tax advantaged account. 

Hawks

« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »
Nibbled at JPM and GM and added to AEG.

no_free_lunch

« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »
Bought VRX today, 7% position.  My timing is no doubt horrible on this one, with it being up double over past year and 10-fold since 09.  Nevertheless, the more I read on the company the more I feel like I'm reading a case study from "the outsiders".  Their execution has been just incredible and in spite of the huge runup in price, they are still cheap based on next years forecasted earnings.

EDIT: I should also add, thanks to Gio for all the posts on this one.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:51:53 PM by no_free_lunch »

constructive

• My Seeking Alpha articles
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2013, 06:59:52 PM »
I've bought a few shares of FRAN and more VRA. VRA has a huge short position - there could easily be a squeeze.

muscleman

« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2013, 08:33:53 AM »
Bought VRX today, 7% position.  My timing is no doubt horrible on this one, with it being up double over past year and 10-fold since 09.  Nevertheless, the more I read on the company the more I feel like I'm reading a case study from "the outsiders".  Their execution has been just incredible and in spite of the huge runup in price, they are still cheap based on next years forecasted earnings.

I looked at VRX when gio suggested it earlier this year at the $70's. I could not understand it, so I didn't invest. What is your thesis on that?
I am muslceman. I have more muscle than brain!

Philip Morris IV

« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2013, 01:09:45 PM »
Holy crap - VRA float is 88% sold short?

constructive

• My Seeking Alpha articles
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2013, 02:27:11 PM »
Holy crap - VRA float is 88% sold short?

Yes - the bearish thesis is that inventory is stale and needs to be marked way down. And also that the brand is faddish, without the staying power of Coach, Michael Kors, etc.

There is some truth to their problems, but with this valuation and level of short interest the risk-reward appears skewed. Personally I like their style and think it could be a very good company if they get inventory under control.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • libertyrpf.com
    • http://www.libertyrpf.com
« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2013, 03:25:59 PM »

I looked at VRX when gio suggested it earlier this year at the $70's. I could not understand it, so I didn't invest. What is your thesis on that?

+1

Really curious to get your thesis and estimate of IV. I find it really hard to figure out how much it is reasonable to pay up for good businesses...

Palantir

« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2013, 04:27:17 PM »
If you're holding a heavily shorted stock, do you get interest payments if loaned out?
My Portfolio: AMZN, PYPL