Author Topic: What are you buying today?  (Read 2197994 times)

twacowfca

• Lifetime Member
Re: What are you buying today?
« Reply #350 on: February 04, 2014, 01:08:36 AM »
Bought OTM puts on IWM early today to add to the pile of SPY puts we own.  Nice pop with the IWM puts up about 65% at the close.  Have been rolling some of the ITM SPY puts into longer duration OTM puts.

It's definitely nice to have an increasing store of potential dry powder in this decline.  It remains to be seen if, in the immortal words of George W. Bush, "This sucker's going down." :)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:13:33 AM by twacowfca »

snowball82

« Reply #351 on: February 04, 2014, 03:36:09 AM »
Smart employee benefits (seb.v), Biosyent (Rx.v) & XPEL (dap-u)

Great microcap

tombgrt

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #352 on: February 04, 2014, 04:23:54 AM »
Bought OTM puts on IWM early today to add to the pile of SPY puts we own.  Nice pop with the IWM puts up about 65% at the close.  Have been rolling some of the ITM SPY puts into longer duration OTM puts.

It's definitely nice to have an increasing store of potential dry powder in this decline.  It remains to be seen if, in the immortal words of George W. Bush, "This sucker's going down." :)

+1. Let the discussion continue on whether it makes sense to hedge or not but it sure feels nice to have no impact on your portfolio when the markets go down 2%+, especially when you are at that time trekking in northern thailand's jungle! :d
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:29:41 AM by tombgrt »

alertmeipp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #353 on: February 04, 2014, 04:42:08 AM »

+1. Let the discussion continue on whether it makes sense to hedge or not but it sure feels nice to have no impact on your portfolio when the markets go down 2%+, especially when you are at that time trekking in northern thailand's jungle! :d

It sure feels good when you timed it right... the thing is how often you timed it right. If one has the ability on timing (some do), there is much better way to make money than doing "hedges"

jm25

« Reply #354 on: February 04, 2014, 06:34:49 AM »
Smart employee benefits (seb.v), Biosyent (Rx.v) & XPEL (dap-u)

Great microcap

What are your views on Biosyent - specifically their product portfolio? Good growth as a mini-Paladin Labs.
Strong growth/margins, low capex, etc. I'd like to hear your views.

frommi

« Reply #355 on: February 04, 2014, 07:33:34 AM »
It sure feels good when you timed it right... the thing is how often you timed it right. If one has the ability on timing (some do), there is much better way to make money than doing "hedges"

The problem is being right twice. The next bounce up can easily kill the profits and because of the late buys the chance is good that the hedge result is a loss. I can`t foresee the future but the VIX has spiked to a 1 year high yesterday.

longlake95

« Reply #356 on: February 04, 2014, 07:35:11 AM »
Bought more YPF yesterday @ 21 7/8.

LL

frommi

« Reply #357 on: February 04, 2014, 07:45:41 AM »
Bought some more BP today, oil&gas companies are now at the target of 25% of my portfolio. Next funds go to something else.

LowIQinvestor

« Reply #358 on: February 04, 2014, 08:07:54 AM »
Bought more YPF yesterday @ 21 7/8.

LL

And I thought I was the only one in the world getting involved in Argentina. Best of luck!
(I'm long TEO- Telecom Argentina) Think it could be a double by 2016

longlake95

« Reply #359 on: February 04, 2014, 08:18:17 AM »
Ive been in YPF for a year, its been a wild ride, but it's dirt cheap on a NAV basis.

LL