Who is afraid?

jeffsreng

not afraid. But today is the first day of buying that I feel a little stressed. I just bare down and press the buy button. Some neighbors, who never talk about stocks are talking about them for the first time in a while...we must be close to the bottom...LOL...

The scariest thing is all of the already mentally unstable individuals now being pushed over the edge from this pandemic panic. It's only a matter of time until we see individuals getting mugged, trampled or killed over ridiculous things like the last pack of toilet paper.

Marketwise I'm not worried. I'm financially secure (very little debt). The emergency fund is flush. The wife and I have solid jobs and I have a good pile of cash for this. It certainly doesn't feel like we are anywhere near the bottom but timing is whatever. I'll probably stick to a bi-weekly allocation (anything of size) from here on out.

Guest cherzeca

The weird thing is it's only been three weeks.  In my limited experience most bear markets last longer than that.

most bear markets grind your soul into tidbits that are then spit into a sewer.  "this time is different". actually, I really think it will be different.  but we shall see...

Guest cherzeca

I think the high speed trading and algo's have a lot to do with the compressed time of the moves. The algo's sell on weakness and buy on strength...which adds to the inertia.

I wouldn't be surprised if Simon's renaissance is a huge part of this volatility.

It is what it is.  Not afraid, but wish I had more cash.  I did too much buying too early like usual.  Just going to hold and buy more when I have the cash, in 20 years I'm sure I'll be happy I did.  This is my first day working from home, my company told us all not to go into the office without good reason, so everyone is home.  Luckily I have a job where working from home isn't a problem.  I have a big monitor and keep in contact with my co-workers with skype.  It actually works so well, I wonder why my company maintains such large office buildings.

Similar Rk.

I have some assets which would provide substantial cash; but I'd be paying out-the-ass to liquidate. For me to tap that I need much more confidence in where the world will be in 6 months.

For now, I have about 15% cash and additional drips from the ole 9-5.

I think the high speed trading and algo's have a lot to do with the compressed time of the moves. The algo's sell on weakness and buy on strength...which adds to the inertia.

I wouldn't be surprised if Simon's renaissance is a huge part of this volatility.

I've been wondering about Renaissance, seems like they own every company down to the tiny stuff.

I've been wondering about Renaissance, seems like they own every company down to the tiny stuff.

Don't worry about Renaissance.  They spent over $4+ billions in hardware, software & PHD to beat the market.  Just focus on what you can do in this game.

I'm down like 35 pct. in 3 weeks and haven't missed a minute of sleep since it won't affect my day to day life one bit how them stonks are doing. I mostly feel like a kid in a candy store who forgot his money.

As for the virus, not scared, but I think it's import people take this thing serious (we're in lockdown for 2 weeks now at least) so as not to endanger those who are vulnerable.

Guest cherzeca

algos and computer models dont get afraid. they execute the plan.

I have plenty of cash to preserve our independence in retirement.  that comfort and independence is more important to me than trying to buy low to satisfy my investor's ego.  I am typing this right now in order to remind myself of this.  I need constant reminding.

I'm not. Not the declines and not of the virus. Regarding the virus, I'm not in the demographic. Regarding the markets, I've been ready for something like this, so just executing on strategy.

There's talk here of algos and stuff. They're probably part of the vol. But I think the ones in severe need of a fresh pair of pants are the superinvestors of indexville that have advanced strategies designed by robo advisers with flashy websites.

The selling today was relentless and indiscriminate. Everything goes. Altria was down 10% with a covered dividend yield of 9.5%. Seriously?

Like Mike Tyson said. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. Sure looks like a good punch to the face just happened.