Author Topic: Your 2014 portfolio return  (Read 119759 times)

muscleman

Your 2014 portfolio return
« on: December 23, 2014, 10:33:58 AM »
What's your return in 2014?
I am muslceman. I have more muscle than brain!

berkshire101

Re: Your 2014 portfolio return
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »
18-19% at the moment.  But who knows, it could go up or down from here.  I would prefer up!  But I also have some cash.  So maybe down would be better. 

merkhet

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 10:44:02 AM »
Down maybe 20% or so.

LC

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
I just realize I checked the wrong box. Strike one from the <-10% and add it to the <10% bucket. (I'm at 9% through November 31 but will probably end up around 11-12% due to selling some FCAU at 13.xx and selling some BAC today at 17.9X.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."

oddballstocks

• Lifetime Member
    • Oddball Stocks Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »
I hate these posts because they often turn into who is the best.  Yet at the same time I like it because it's a good gut check, I don't typically check my performance until the end of the year.  So putting out publicly how I did is a nice form of accountability.

Not entirely sure how accurate this is but looks like I did about 10.7%.  Fidelity is claiming much higher results, but I believe that's because I have about 20% in cash or so and they do some funky performance calculation ex-cash.

Failed to beat the S&P, but looks like I beat the Russell Microcap Value index and KBW Regional Banking indexes by about 10%.  I beat international small caps by about 15%.  My portfolio is primarily microcaps, small banks and small international stocks, so those are much more appropriate benchmarks compared to the S&P.

Good, bad?  Not sure I care either way, I didn't lose money and I like what I hold.  A successful year.

Addendum: Spent more time looking at Fidelity, they exclude foreign positions from their performance calculation.  On my US holdings I did 17.5%, my foreign holdings were mostly flat, and Japanese holdings negative which brought my overall performance down.  I guess if I compared myself to a small cap international benchmark as well I did ok.
The ultimate edge for bank investors: http://www.completebankdata.com

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • libertyrpf.com
    • http://www.libertyrpf.com
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 11:29:08 AM »
Just eyeballing it, I'd say up around 40% so far (in CAD, part of that is currency gains in USD vs CAD).

I dodged a few bullets this year. I sold my CFX and ALS positions for strategic reasons, and immediately after that they tanked. I don't expect to be lucky like that very often.

simplefocus

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 12:23:05 PM »
I just started managing my money in the last 2 years.  I don't know my exact return from year to year because I measure everything by CAGR.  My CAGR thus far is 20.22% for the last 2 years and I hope to get my CAGR to 26%.

Hielko

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 12:24:25 PM »
Currently up ~25%. Pretty amazing given all the bad things that happened and the mistakes I made this year.

Mistakes?
* WH merger arb (down 60% before I sold, now at -100%).
* Long Clear Leisure (down 60%)
Unclassified?
* Short CYNK (up ~150% before I exited, went up a lot higher after that...)
Unlucky?
* Awilco (down 60% from peak)

Combine that with some smaller declines in other positions such as my biggest position (>25%) losing 30% from peak, getting screwed by Magix management in a delisting (also down ~30%) and it's a miracle I made any money at all this year. And that is kids why you want diversification. And a sizable BRK stake also didn't hurt this year.

DanielGMask

• From Spain. Living in Mexico.
    • Personal Blog -Mostly in Spanish-
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 12:59:56 PM »
Up 15%. I'm amazed of some of the results of the others!
You should follow me on twitter @ManSalceda

Mephistopheles

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 02:50:14 PM »
I'm up a little over 18% but my personal portfolio is extremely volatile - I was flat a couple of weeks ago. My parents portfolio which I also manage but is more representative of what I would do if I had a lot more money is up marginally year to date.